This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocelot Learning IR from Remotes

I just installed Ocelot and am trying to set it uo for IR. The Homeseer instructions for learning IR arelisted below.

In step 3 it says "Click learn at the bottom of the screen". There is no "learn" at the bottom of my screen so I'm stuck here.

Any ideas? I am using Homeseer 1.6.0 and windows XP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'd like to get my new "toy" working.

Thanks

Robert

1. Bring up IR dialog from View->I/R Config.

2. Select the device that will receive the new infrared command from the drop down list labeled Labels.

3. Click learn at the bottom of the screen. All the keys that are learnable for the device will be enabled and their label will change to Lrn.

4. Click the Lrn button next to the command you wish to change. Note that not all keys can be programmed. Keys you cannot program are grayed out.

5. In about 5 seconds a dialog will appear. It will ask you to point your existing remote at the learn window on your infrared device. Press the key you wish to learn. If you are learning with the PCIRLinc, hold the key down until the green light on the PC/IR Linc goes out. With other devices, the system will beep after the command is learned. Read the displayed dialog carefully. Some devices require you to click OK then learn, others require you to press the OK button after you learn.

6. Now press Ok on the dialog to complete the learning. Checking the Test Mode check box and clicking the Tst button next to the command that was just learned can test the command.
    Please refer to your hardware's user’s manual for more information on Learning commands.

Maybe the instructions you are looking at are out of date.

For each command "slot" there is an "L" button and a "T" button. These stand for "Learn" and "Test". If you press the "L" and then send an IR command from your remote to the Ocelot, it will be learned. Pressing the "T" causes the Ocelot to transmit the learned command.

Steve

Comment

I have Ocelot connected with one emitter connected to control my sony VCR.

I can see the command "slots" each with an "L" button and a "T" button. I pressed the "L" slot in the first item then pointed the remote to the Ocelot and then pressed the "T" slot but nothing seems to happen.

Is there a quick test I could do to confirm that the Ocelot can receive and transmit IR signals?

Thanks

Robert

Comment

As stated, there is the "test" button. When learning, click the "L" button, a dialog box will appear, click OK, and then hold your remote about 6 inches from the ocelot recieve window, which is located next to the terminal strip... (above the t in Ocelot)

Press the remote button that you want to learn until HS beeps. That indicates a learned command. Then you can press the "T" button to test.

Hope that helps.

Skibum
        Skibumsplace

Comment

Thanks Skibum.

Everything works as you say but when I press the remote button, I don't get the beep from HS.

Robert

Comment

Robert,

Have you tried learning in CMax. If not try that first. If it works in CMax and not HS then I would suspect that you haven't installed it correctly.

If it doesn't work in CMax, I would post the symptoms to the AppDig message group.

-Jon

Comment

I found my problem. The plug for the emitter wasn't pushed in all the way!

From previous posts, I understand that certain audio/video equipment have discrete "power" commands, eventhough their original remotes don't include this. If this is the case, I wonder how one would make use of this feature in setting up Ocelot for IR control.

My A/V equipment includes:
              * Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 Digital Cable Terminal
              * Pioneer Projection TV (Model SD-582Hd5)
              * Pioneer VSX-608 receiver,
              * Pioneer 100 disc cd player
              * Tosheba SD5109 DVD Player
              * Sony Hi Fi VCR
              * Philips CDI (use it occasionally as a single CD player)

Is there a better way to input the IR commands into Ocelot than to "learn" the individual remotes? Also, how would I obtain and input the discrete commands for power and certain other functions e. g. A/V inputs.

Thanks for any coments.

Robert

Comment

Robert,

The Scientific Atlanta STB and the Toshiba DVD will not have discrete power commands. The Toshiba will turn on from off with a play command so discrete on=play/stop and off=play/power toggle. I have a Toshiba DVD and this is 100% reliable.

I don't want to ignite one of those endless threads that get started at RC, CHA, etc. about the wisdom/desirability of leaving a STB on all the time but I think they consume about 7 watts whether turned on or off. My two DSS STB's have discrete power commands and I have not ever turned them off.

As far as the rest of the equipment, I have a decent library for the Pioneer and Sony commands and I can probably generate everything that you need with Barry Gordon's GenIRDB that can generate all of the commands without learning.

There is another set of programs written by Jay Hogg that can do a similar thing but it takes a fairly good undestanding of the Pronto command structure to use them.

Finally, what is the Philips CDI (I understand the CD part what else does it do?) If it is typical Philips, it uses a toggle bit in it's IR commands that has to be thought through. If all you want is Play, Stop, Pause, Power, etc. then it is no big deal.

If you need to address a location with numerals like you might in a CD tower, then you in for creating some macros. To send Number 111 you will need two different signals. The first 1 will need a zero in the third bit, the next a one and the last a zero again or it won't work.

I can easily generate both signals, but the Ocelot doesn't have any independent ability to deal with the problem.

-Jon

Comment

Jon,

The Philips Compact Disk Interactive (CDI) came out about 10 years ago ( as a system for playing music CDs, Photo CDs and may interactive CDs eg encyclopedias, computer games etc, even movies (with an attachment. I think with the advent of DVDs, the system likely died - but it's still OK as a single disk music CD player. I guess it's one of these things that came out with a lot of hype but just didn't make it.

You mentioned that you have a library of IR commands that covers most of the equipment that I have. Would I be able to get these files from you? How would this be done? Since I am still a novice at this, I would appreciate any instructions on how to get the IR commands into Ocelot.

Thanks

Robert

Comment

Robert,

Give me a few days and I'll put together a starter file with your IR codes. Do you have a model number on the Philips CDI or is there only one?

I think I have the codes for everything else.

-Jon

Comment

Jon,

The model is CDI 220.

Another problem: Ocelot seems to be working fine. I also have a Xantech 791-44 amplified connecting block. I can't seem to get the signal from the Ocelot through the connecting block. I have the "ir emitter" terminal from the ocelot connected to the "ir receiver" terminal of the connecting block. Does this require a special connector? I'm just using a single (mono)with mini plugs on both sides.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Robert

Comment

The model of my Sony VCR is SLV-770HF.

Thanks

Comment

>Another problem: Ocelot seems to be working fine. I also have a Xantech 791-44 amplified connecting block. I can't seem to get the signal from the Ocelot through the connecting block. I have the "ir emitter" terminal from the ocelot connected to the "ir receiver" terminal of the connecting block. Does this require a special connector? I'm just using a single (mono)with mini plugs on both sides.<

From the 791-44 Manual-Note 5

"5. The "IR RCVR" jack on the 791-44 allows the 490-30 (and other Xantech IR Receivers outfitted with
                          a 3.5 mm stereo mini plug) to be plugged directly into the 791-44. You can do this when the 791-44
                          Connecting Block is within reach of the IR receiver's cable -- such as when installing the 490-30 in a
                          cabinet where the controlled equipment is behind closed doors.
                          CAUTION: Plug only Xantech IR Receivers equip-ped with a stereo mini plug into the IR RCVR jack.
                          Do not plug in emitters or other devices. To do so will destroy emitters and damage power supplies!"

Hopefully, nothing has been damaged but that jack is a stereo jack and has power for the Xantech IR receiver. I thought you had bought the little optoisolator from SmartHome? If not, I highly recommend a diode between the Ocelot and the "IR In" screw terminal on the 791-44

.................................High Speed
                          .................................Switching
                          .................................Diode

Ocelot......./-----Tip----->|----- IR in 744-91
                          _________/
                          Mono.......\
                          Mini-Jack..\-----Ring----------- Ground 744-91

(Ignore the .... It was the only way I could get the ASCI art to line up since it ignores multiple saces) You may want to try a blinker emitter on the Ocelot directly to make sure it is OK first.

-Jon

[This message was edited by Jon Armstrong on Tuesday, 24 September 2002 at 02:02 PM.]

Comment

Thanks Jon,

I do have the opto isolater and now have it installed and everything seems to work fine. I guess I was too eager to get things working that I didn't take the time to read the instructions closely - bad mistake!. I did notice that when I had the mini plug connected to the "ir rcvr" terminal, the power supply was getting quite hot. From your comment that "that jack is a stereo jack and has power for the Xantech IR receiver" I suspect the power supply was being shorted out. Hopefully only the power supply got hurt by this but it seems to work OK now anyway.

Just another point. I can't seem to get my Pioneer TV to respond to the IR command generated by the Ocelot (by learning the remote). One possibility is that I'm not putting the emitter in the right place. From the instruction manual, the IR receiver seems to be at the center of the screen (although this is not clear). At this point I'm not sure whether there's something wrong with the IR signal from the Ocelot or the signal from the emitter is not reaching the ir receiver on the TV. I tried moving the emitter around but no response.Any thoughts on this? Also, if the receiver is in the middle of the screen, where would I place the emitter?

Thanks again.

Robert

Comment

First the Optoisolator takes power, and it should be able to come from the 791-44. I am assuming you figured that out. The RPTV's have a mirror I think so the sensor is probably down inside the TV. You might post that question to the "custom installers" discussion group at remote central. http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ustom/list.cgi

I seem to recall that they tend to open up the sets and put them inside. If you don't want to do that then some sort of blaster I think the 791-44 can power a blaster if set up slightly differently.

Anyway attached is a starter file for all of your commands. The zip includes rbc.lir and all you have to do is upload that to the Ocelot in CMax. The Pioneer Master.dvc is a big text file (the device file for GenIRDB) but it shows the commands and their IR position on the far left. The first 80 are blank since those are reserved for IR match by default.

Let me know if you have questions.

-Jon
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X