This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon,

I have a drawer full of remotes (original remotes that came with the equipmwent) but my one and only OFA remote seems to have disappeared.

My Scientific Atlanta cable box is the only equipment I can't seem to get working with Ocelot. It would be nice to have this work since the cable box seems to be used more than anything else. If you come across any new codes, or have any other ideas on what I can try, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Robert

P.S. Thanks also for all the help and information you've already provided.

Comment

Robert,

It may just be easier to learn the Scientific Atlanta codes. Very few cable boxes have discrete codes so probably everything you can use is already on the OEM remote. I'll take a look when I get time at what I have sent and make sure it isn't something basic. If you do find your OEM remote and can determine the code then we can make some progress.

-Jon

Comment

Jon,

My OFA remote turned up (when I wasn't looking for it as usual). The unit I have (OFA-6)takes a 3-digit setup code. The code that works is 277.

Looking forward to finding out next step.

Thanks

Robert

Comment

By "OEM remote", do you mean the Scientific Atlanta remote that came with the cable box? I have that remote as well (only the OFA remote had been lost and now found). I tried to have Ocelot learn the codes from the Scientific Atlanta remote but that didn't work (as mentioned previously).

Thanks again

Comment

Robert,

I think I found the problem. Try this file. BTW, to learn teh cable STB commands you would have to use CMax and manually set the IR carrier frequency to 58KHz.

-Jon
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jon,

I installed the latest file and found that some codes work and some don't, e.g.
              350-359 work ok
              364 works as the power toggle (instead of 365)
              others don't seem to work

I also notice that the zip file is named rbc4.zip but the lir file is called rbc3.lir. Is it possible that you sent the wrong file?

Thanks

Robert

P. S. Once we get this working, do you know of any way to get discrete codes for on and off? If discrete codes don't exist, is there any way of getting around this as is done with the Tosheba DVD?

Comment

Robert,

I originally replaced some commands manually. So here is the more automated version. The commands should now be in the right place.

AFAIK, there are no discrete commands for power. Some of these units have a switched power receptacle on the back so you could sense a wallwart plugged into it or make a video sensor to detect when it is on. Then you can write a script to send the IR toggle command only if it is Off for "Discrete On" etc.

Keep in mind STB's draw very little current whether Off or On. There is no appreciable difference between the two, if I understand the may discussions on this topic. So an appliance module could be put between the Set-Top-Box (STB) and the power but then you may loose setings, software upgrades, video timers etc.

So I think most people just leave them on all the time.

-Jon
                Attached Files

Comment

Could I bother you to assist in a .lir for the following equipment:

Cable Box: Explorer 3100HD
                  Cable Box: Explorer 8000 (do not have it yet, but plan on getting one)
                  TV Brand: Mitsubishi 65905
                  VCR Brand: JVC S3500U
                  CD Brand: Sony CDP-CX153
                  AMP/Tuner: Sony DA80ES
                  AnotherTuner: Pioneer SX255R

Thanks much!

-Marcus
                  HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Marcus,

I'll be glad to help but it may be a few days before I can get to it.

-Jon

Comment

Marcus,

Here is a fairly complete package for your equipment. The master.lir should have all of the equipment except the SA Explorer 8000 that I have no information on. It will probably respond to the same commands as the 3100.

The device (xxx.dvc) files and protocol files (yyy.irp) are in case you want to modify these with GenIRDB someday. The best place to find it is at Remote Central (files|utilities).

To figure out where your commands are, open the device files and they will look something like this from Mits_TV.dvc:

111-Power On=66
                      112- INSTALL=69
                      113- Video=72
                      114- Down Arrow=73
                      115- Power Off (also EFC 189--OBC 128)=74

The 111- is the IR position in the Ocelot the piece in the middle is what it does "Power On" and after the = sign is the command to GenIRDB.

I have left the first 80 IR slots blank per the suggestion of the AppDig folks since the first 80 positions are set up to do an IR match.

You will have to learn any commands that you want to match in the first 80 positions (0-79) but 0 is sacrosanct and reserved for some purpose. A blank entry in an lir file (just a position number and = with nothing after the equal sign seems to turn the file in the Ocelot back to a blank)

(GenIRDB doesn't look at anything to the left of the equal sign it just views it as a glob of text. Each time it encounters an = it is going to increment the IR position by 1)

So I keep track by putting in the numbers.

In other device files like Sony_Rx.dvc, I have used a more generalized syntax:

209 =
                      210- 0, 10, Dolby Surround =Sony12:16,9,4
                      211- Power On (Discrete) =Sony12:16,46,4

It just means Sony 12 bit protocol, device 16 command 9 repeat four times. Since with the exception of the command number = 9, that information is in the header of the device file it is redundant. That syntax allows you to mix different device numbers or sequential commands needed in some IR devices.

Anyway, if you are curious read Barry's documentation and I'll always be glad to answer questions. Please let me know if it works. I had to guess with generic entries for the Pioneer Receiver.

-Jon
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!

Will update you this weekend...
                        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Again, many thanks!

Is there a way of auto creating the IR file (text labels) for HS? I will download Barry's program and check...

-Marcus

Comment

Marcus,

I have taken a stab at a spreadsheet that does a quasi-automated version of irlbl.cfg and I created the irlbl.cfg file that you should directly be able to load.

There is nothing perfect since the labels doesn't exactly line up with the devices. So I put a prefix telling what each is. I tested it and it doesn't make my HS crash. I found a numbering error the last Pioneer_Rx.dvc file and corrected it. There should be nothing wrong with the lir file except that the previous had the wrong IR positions that have now been corrected.

I re-ran GenIRDB with the new device file but I do not think there are any differences.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Marcus,

I realized I was off by one position so please ignore the previous zip file. The attached has been corrected (and I have substituted the one above with the correct one).

-Jon
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jon!

Comment

Working...
                                X