This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Bought An Ocelot ... Now What?

Well, I splurged and am currently risking a lower WAF [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] after buying an Ocelot. I also bought a 50 foot IR extender but failed to buy an emitter which I mistakenly thought came with the Ocelot.

Rather than ordering the emitter and paying shipping, is there something I can go build/get from Radio Shack that will work as an emitter compatible with the Ocelot?

Jim Doolittle
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

Jim Check this links.

Diy emitter IR

and this one

Guy Lavoie Emitter

Comment

Jim,

Buy this from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...5%5F000&Page=1

Solder the LED leads to a length of 2 core cable and terminate on a 1/8" or 3.5mm stereo jack plug. The anode (normally the longer leg) of the LED goes to the tip and the cathode goes to the outer ring (earth).

Thats it! You may need to make the hole in the Ocelot case bigger where you plug in the IR emitter if you do not use the extension lead.

Jon
      Jon

Comment

Since I want to send the IR about 4m, I bought supplies to build Guy Lavoie's amplified IR.

However, I bought enough supplies that I will probably build the simple one for testing. Maybe I will still get good results splitting the IR out and use simple one near the Ocelot and the amplified one farther away.

Thanks guys.

Jim Doolittle
        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
        My Hardware & Software

Comment

Yipee! It works. I just built the simple emitter for now. I used the RS 276-143 High-Output Infrared LED and fit it inside a mono mini-plug. The hole in the mini-plug fit the LED perfectly.

I then plugged the male end of the 50' IR extension that I had into the Ocelot's IR Out and then plugged my LED/mini-plug gizmo into the female end of the extension.

Learned a couple of IR commands and my Sony stereo receiver responded with emitter about 5m away.

Now I would like to run the extended emitter to one entertainment system with a pyramid transmitter sitting on top of that system and then put a pyramid receiver next to another system. Other than the potential for multiple units responding to a given IR code, is this OK for a beginner like me?

I also downloaded latest version of GENIRDB and am learning about it.

Jim Doolittle
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,

Should work fine. You just have to remember the IR light reflects like regular light. As long as the powermid receiver is far enough away from the transmitter and you don't get reflections back to the the original you should be ok.

G

Comment

I too just splurged and purchased an Ocelot. What should I use to power the amplified IR circuit (and does radio shack sell it)?

Also since I have a SECU16I should I consider upgrading the power supply provided by ADI?

Thanks.

-Chris.

Comment

Chris

I am powering two of them with a 12V 200mA power supply. Both runs are about 50 feet and both work great.

SteveD

Comment

Working...
                X