This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help With CMax DIMMING commands

I know this is not a HS question, but know people here can provide an answer, also searched this section with no results so here goes:

Recently purchased an Ocelot. Have it interfaced with TW523 unit. I want to have the CMax program dim certain lights when I press the C9 button on my remote (X10 HR12A). I can't get the light on A12 to dim properly with the CMax software using the following:

If X10 C/9 is received
    Then Transmit X10 A/12
    Then Transmit X10 A/22, 12 time(s)
    If X10 C/10 is received
    Then turnX10A/12 OFF
    End of Program

The Off part works. I can also manually send the X-10 dim command (12 times) using the CMax "Send X-10 Commands" option, and it will dim to the proper level, but whenever I turn the lamp off and run the above code with my remote, the lamp barely dims.
    A-12 is a standard X-10 lamp module. I do have a bridge coupler/repeater installed in my breaker box, and it seems that the command is being transmitted multiple times when I looked at the X10 status screen (but why would it work as a manual X10 send command if this is a problem).
    Note that I can get the lamps to dim using Homeseer, and with using the remote itself. I also tried other wall switch/lamp modules with the same effect so I am ruling out any hardware problems. What am I doing wrong (not getting this ladder logic?) Seems this CMax program is getting the best of me! Thanks.

[This message was edited by Brave Sir Robbin on Sunday, 01 December 2002 at 11:45 PM.]

[This message was edited by Brave Sir Robbin on Sunday, 01 December 2002 at 11:48 PM.]
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Well, seems like I answered my own question. Rather than delete the original post let me post the results so others can see if there is a better soluton.

I incorporated some delays in-between my CMax commands as follows:

If X10 C/9 is received
    Then Timer#0 is = 1
    If Timer#0 becomes = 3
    Then Transmit X10 A/12
    If Timer#0 becomes = 5
    Then Timer#0 is = 0

If X10 C/10 is received
    Then turnX10A/12 OFF
    End of Program

I can now press C9 with my remote and Lamp A-12 will dim to the proper level. Man, what a hassle! Is this because the PLC is scanning multiple times while the X-10 commands are getting repeated? Is there a better way of doing this? I would eventually like to have the C9 button on the remote be a "watch TV mode" where it would dim four lights to specific levels.

I would also like to program other "events" activated with my remote, so an easier method would be appreciated.

Comment

You might want to modify the command you're using to trigger the sequence from being:

If X10 C/9 is received

to

If X10 C/9 On Command Pair (or Off command pair)

This is listed under the "X10 Status Change" command. Try this with your original version of the program and see if it works now.

-----------------------------
      If you don't know what you're doing... do it neatly.

Comment

Here's what's been working for me.

IF Receive X10, E - 8
        AND Receive X10, E - ON (19)
        THEN Transmit X10, E - 4
        THEN Transmit X10, E - 3
        THEN Transmit X10, E - Dim (21), 10 time(s)
        THEN X-10 House E / Unit 1, Turn OFF
        THEN X-10 House E / Unit 2, Turn OFF
        IF Receive X10, E - 8
        AND Receive X10, E - OFF (20)
        THEN X-10 House E / Unit 1, Turn ON
        THEN X-10 House E / Unit 2, Turn ON
        THEN X-10 House E / Unit 3, Turn OFF
        THEN X-10 House E / Unit 4, Turn OFF

E3 E4 are overhead light cans and E1 and E2 are table lamps. What I do is press "E8 On" on my palmpad, the two overhead lights dim together, then it turns off the table lamps.

Comment

In the event that your Coupler/Repeater is suppressing the standard X10 Command Pair sequence, the following will ensure that the routine executes only once.

If X10 C/9 is ON
          And Variable x (any available number) = 0
          Then Transmit X10 A/12
          Then Variable x = 1
          Then Turn X10C/9 OFF
          If X10 C/10 is ON
          And Variable x = 1
          Then turnX10A/12 OFF
          Then Variable x = 0
          Then Turn X10C/9 OFF
          End of Program

This method also has the advantage of using the variable state to recover from a power failure.
          Define variables as retained data variables.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Albert Einstein

Comment

JC:

Thanks for your reply. Thats a great suggestion using the variables!

The only problem for me would be if a "go to sleep" script turned the lights off (they wouldn't be turned off through the original script and reset the varible). Then I would forget to turn the C9 Off before being able to turn it on again.

Now I just repeat the commands in the CMax script (except for the dim command) to get things reliable and took out the timers. I also used the "ON/OFF command pair" as suggested by glavoie.

If X-10 C9 ON Command Pair
            THEN, Transmist X10, A-12
            THEN, Transmist X10, A-12
            THEN, Transmit X10, A-12
            THEN, Transmit X10 A/22, 12 time(s)

If X=10 C9 OFF Command Pair
            THEN A-12, Turn OFF
            THEN A-12, Turn OFF
            THEN A-12, Turn OFF

End Program

Not the most eloquent way but it now works 100 percent of the time. I guess it is just in the quirky nature of the X10 systems as well as the RF going thru the power line receivers as well.

Yes, I may be having problems in the fact I have a bridge/amplifier/repeater in my breaker box as well as an X10 RF Repeater in my home.

I wish we could somehow incorporate something like an MR26A RF receiver for use with an Ocelot so we wouldn't have to rely on the power line RF receivers (and get quicker response times). I know HS can do this, but I really bought the Ocelot so my basic X10 systems can be run without the PC on.

I was thinking about getting one of these WGL All Housecode X10 Transceiver
            http://www.wgldesigns.com/v572.html to see if this helps (anyone have any experience with these units?) because my sytem seemed to execute the CMax commands (in my original program) more reliably when I would initiate the Remote Command (C9) thru an X10 Maxi-Controller plugged into an outlet. I.E. the command would not go through any RF receivers in the home.

Also some other notes:

I did the TW-523 capacitor mod (installed the 470 microfarad capacitor) which is connected to the Ocelot. While I was at Radio Shack, I purchased the IR LED suggested here:
            http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...6&m=5812940886
            and am now experimenting with IR commands.

Thanks again.

BSR

[This message was edited by Brave Sir Robbin on Thursday, 26 December 2002 at 09:19 PM.]

Comment

Working...
            X