X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocelot installation

Hi,

This may seem a strange question but I was wondering how people have physically installed their Ocelot controllers.

As you know it seems to have a "hobbyist" look about it. By the time you add input/output modules, Infrared emitters, PSU etc to the installation, there are cables everywhere!

I am thinking about installing the Ocelot in a large plastic box together with a SECU-I16 etc & PSU. This will then have glands for cable entry to neaten the installation.

I am just interested if anyone else has any other suggestions!

Jon
    Jon

Right now my Ocelot is mounted next to the SECU 16 on a 2x2 sheet of plywood. Will probably remove the Ocelot from that and place it in my living room around the TV for IR training (or might just run a long cable with an IR receiver, haven't decided).

Have mounting blocks I'm using for the SECU 16 relays (one reason is that 4 of them get the same +24v signal for my sprinkler zones).

Also have a punch down block that will be used for computer networking as well as for the inputs on the SECU 16 - that way I don't have to keep opening up the cover to add/remove things. I suspect that removing the screens on the SECU 16 will eventualy eat away the plastic mounts.

Power strip (without surge suppression) is also on this plywood along with power adapters (12v for Ocelot, 12v for SECU 16, and 24v for sprinklers) and PSC05/TW523 for X10.

All wires are either solid copper (thus they don't hang) or else stapled down for neatness.

Makes things pretty clean, easy to diagnose, etc.

This will eventually be installed either bolted to the concrete wall in the workshop, in a small crawl space under the stairs in the basement, or in the garage on the concrete wall. Once I decide the best way to route my cables to it from the top floors of the house, I'll make that decision.

Comment

If you like "Neat", then I suggest a Rittal enclosure ( www.rittal.com )and Panduit, Iboco, or ABB plastic wiring ducts. If your budjet permits, add field wiring terminal blocks (Weidmuller, Weiland, Wago, Entrelec) so you don't have to remove covers in order to add something, and the field wiring can be a larger size.

The bonus here is that you can show it to guests without embarrassment.

I recommend wiring the Secu16 outputs to external relays, or use fast blow fuses to protect the contacts.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
      X