This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie: Ocelot for controlling A/V with On/Off sensing

I am finish a mult-media room and are planning to set up a system to control lights and A/V. I have so far succesfully been using an advanced IR remote, but would like to go a step further.

I was thinking on getting the house-linc, but finding this forum makes me lean towards the Ocelot.

But I have a couple of questions:

A) Best method to sense On/Off status of eqipment? Do I need Digital BOB or I/O Linc from smarthome? Or can the sensors from smarthome be hooked directly to SECU-16? Some other way?

A) I already have Xantech IR distrubtion (all A/V is in enclosed closet). What is the easiest way to hook the Ocelot into this? Will the Ocelot work as pass-through, or do I need to set it up parallel to the Xanatec

THANKS!

Henrik,

See answers below.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Best method to sense On/Off status of eqipment? Do I need Digital BOB or I/O Linc from smarthome? Or can the sensors from smarthome be hooked directly to SECU-16? Some other way?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First what brand of equipment are you trying to control. Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Yamaha, Denon, Panasonic, RCA/Thompson, and Mitsubishi generally have discrete commands for Video/Audio inputs and Power On and Off.

These are often commands that are not on the OEM remote but can be generated by a couple of programs and entered into the Ocelot. So you have a true, seperate On and Off command. Not one that alternates or toggles between On and Off. So for these there is no need to sense whether they are On or Off.

I recall some of the sensors that you mentioned can be interfaced to the SECU16. I think that it took a fair amount of research to figure that out and I don't recall any well documented resource.

There is a pretty good video sensor that senses composite video that you can make and it is quite reliable. There have been others that have put together current sensors.

Here is a link to the CPU/XA (the former name for the Ocelot) archives:

http://www.lapseofthought.com/CPU-XA/search

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I already have Xantech IR distrubtion (all A/V is in enclosed closet). What is the easiest way to hook the Ocelot into this? Will the Ocelot work as pass-through, or do I need to set it up parallel to the Xanatec <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can hook up the Ocelot to the Xantech wired network:

Get the #8175 IR LINC Price $19.95 (opto-isolator) http://www.smarthome.com/1620.html
    and a Xantech 792-10 (found a number of places.)

Ocelot IR emitter Jack --&gt; Opto-isolator--&gt;792-10--&gt;rest of IR network

-Jon

Comment

My receiver has a couple of switched outlets on the back (hot only when the receiver is on). I plug a small wall-wart transformer into one of them and connect the output of the transformer to one of these relays:

http://www.smarthome.com/7278.html

Then I connect the N/O contacts of the relay to an input on the SECU16.

May not be the most direct method but it works flawlessly.

Comment

Don't buy relays or any control hardware from Smarthome, you will pay too much. Try instead www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml. They distribute in every major city in the US.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
        X