This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visonics motion detectors don't work with SECU-16

I am trying to get some Visonic motion detectors to work with SECU-16 digital inputs and I'm not having any luck.

I know the inputs on the SECU-16 are working because I can short across the terminals with a wire and change the state (ON to OFF and OFF to ON).

I know the motion detector is working because I checked the relay contacts with a continuity tester. I suspect the problem is that there is some resistance even when the contacts are closed. I can measure 24 ohms resistance. The specs for the Visonic detectors I'm using (SPY 4 and 360 disc) say "18 ohm resistor in series with contacts". Could that be my problem? Is the SECU-16 expecting zero (or closer to zero) resistance in the "closed" state?

If this is the problem, is there a way I can fix it? I'm using a 1K resistor in parallel with the motion detector contacts (as stated in the documentation from Applied Digital). Can I change the value of this resistor to compensate for the 24 ohms? (I suspect not, since it's in parallel with the detector).

Or, can I change the values of parameters 2 and 3 without affecting other devices I already have working?

Or, is there a way to modify the Visonic Disc detector? I don't think I can modify the SPY because it's in a closed case, but the Disc has a circuit board I can see.

[This message was edited by DC on Tuesday, 31 December 2002 at 12:28 PM.]

I've purchased one of these sensors to play with but I have not yet got around to trying it with the SECU-16. I've always have had a concern about how much latency exists between an input to the SECU-16 to an homeseer event trigger.

My initial use of the SECU-16 was an analog rather than the supervised input and I looked for voltage threshold. In essence the 1K resistor is removed and the jumper on the SECU-16 changed. This also incorported a little CMAX to transfer analog inputs into variables for access by homeseer. While it worked I suspect it may be slower that I would like to see for a motion event.

I do not have any experience using supervised inputs, but it does not seem to me that 20 ohms would be sufficient to make the input look like a "1" rather than a "0". If it is, then I think the SECU-16 parameters can be adjusted to change the band threshold.

Comment

I'm using some Optex outdoor motion detectors, connected to the same SECU-16, and HS reacts to them very quickly. I have one on the outside of my shop watching the driveway. It has a red LED that lights when it detects motion. HS monitors it and turns on the outside lights when it detects motion (if it's dark). When I walk towards it, the controlled lights come on within about 2 seconds of when the red LED goes on. And the lights are controlled by X-10 wall switches so I know there is some latency there.

Comment

Hi,
        I use the elk motions from Worthdist and they work quite well on the secu 16.
        DC how have the optex held up in bad weather and if you live in a northern climate, the cold, rain, ice, and snow ?
        Stuart

Comment

I have my Optex detectors installed under the eaves of my house and shop, so they don't get much direct precipitation (maybe a little when the wind is blowing hard). I live in Arkansas, so the temp is not as cold as it would be in Mass, but I've not had any problems with low temperatures. Temps got over 100 degrees this summer and I didn't have any problems. Even though they are rated for "outdoor" use, I don't think I would install them where they would get rained on. They don't seem like they are sealed well enough for that.

Comment

I also emailed Applied Digital with my question. This is their reply. I'm posting it here because it contains some good information that others may find useful.

From Applied Digital:

The system works as follows:

There are parameters in the SECU16 were data is stored. Inputs for each
            input are stored in the SECU16 in parameters 10-17 (inputs 0-7). This value
            is a digital number representing the status of the input. Parameters 2 and 3
            are windows that are compared to the parameters for each input. If the value
            for a given input is out side the window of parameters 2 and 3, the input is
            on. If the value falls with in the window, then the input is off.

for example: Say the value for parameter 2 is 60 and the value for parameter
            3 is 150. With the relay closed the value stored in parameter 0 (1st input)
            is 50. The input will read on. If the value is 100, the input will be off.
            If the value is 200, the input will be on.

With the relays open retrieve module parameters. Check parameter 10 for
            input 1, 11 for input 2 and so on. Write down the values.

Close the window.

Close the relays and retrieve module parameters. Check the same parameters
            and write those values down (it should be different). Remember that when
            retrieving module parameters, C-Max takes a snap shot. So you have to get
            out of module parameters and re-read them. Be patient. It has to go through
            and re-read the inputs.

Now, the bottom of the window will read password with a window to the right.
            The password is the value stored in parameter 6 for module 1 (regardless of
            that module you are playing with). Enter the value of parameter 6 from
            module 1 on the password window. This is required for changing parameters.

Now, change either parameter 2 or 3 so that when the relay is closed the
            value stored in parameter 10 fall either with the windows of parameters 2
            and 3 or outside of the window for the values stored in parameters 2 and 3.
            Make sure you pick a value so that when the relay is open the opposite
            condition is true. In other words, the numbers you pick for parameters 2 and
            should be such that when the relay state changes, the only one condition
            (either open or closed your choice) causes the parameter value for the input
            (parameter 10 for input 0, 11 for input 1 and so on) falls between
            parameters 2 and 3.

Kevin Barrett
            ADI Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X