This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethernet Bobcat?

Has anyone approached ADI to find out if they have any plans for an 'ethernet bobcat'?

In other words, a unit that allows send/receive data to the ocelot via IP over ethernet, instead of via a serial port.

I know of a couple of software projects that are around that try to implement such a facility, but they rely on a computer acting as a gateway between the Ocelot's serial port and an ethernet network.

I would much prefer to rely on an ADI bobcat unit than a computer using moving parts (fans, hard drive) and OS' (either flavour) that need constant patching.

David
    Adelaide, Australia

It is a great idea and we will be developing this product.
    The engineers are booked on existing projects, so it will be awhile before we begin the development.
    Dan Boone, ADI

Comment

Great Idea!
      It made me think though...

Several months ago a collegue showed me a small silicone device that is actually a web server. Packaged, they were about the size of a transistor.

Using a device like this in a Bobcat, you could hang them anywhere you had network cable strung.

Or, if you had some power, you could use Bluetooth. Personally, I'll stick with the cable. It's cheaper, more reliable but harder to put "anywhere".

Really though, it's time to get rid of serial, parallel and so on and start connecting to CAT5!

-System Spec------
      ASUS A7V333ARU VIA KT333 MOTHERBOARD; AMD ATHLON XP PROCESSOR 2200+ (1800MHz); 1024MB DDR 333MHz DDRAM; ATI RAGE 128 CHIPSET 32MB W/ TV OUT VGA CARD; AHANIX PLATINUM XP SILVER/BLACK COLOR 9 DRIVE BAYS SPI 300W POWER SUPPLY TOOL-LESS PANELS ATX MID TOWER CASE; Win2K SP2 5Serial 1Parallel, Hawking Modem, Broadband >Mediacomm, Phillips Audio, ATT Voices, HS/HSP, PhoneSwitch, 10/100 Ethernet, HouseLinc for IR, CM11A for X10
      -------------
      GenevaDude

Comment

http://www.digi.com/solutions/devter...srv/index.html
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

For Dan...

When can we anticpiate this? I think there would be a huge interest in this device. Perhaps a survey is in order.

- Scott

Comment

There are devices available that allow access to serial-based communications via an Ethernet-based web server - made for educating and connecting appliances, I believe. Maybe one of these could be fitted to the ADI gear.

- huggy
            |
            | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
            HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

I for one would love to see it...

Actually my need would be because I'd want ANOTHER two way serial port into the Ocelot.

Comment

Lantronix (www.lantronix.com) makes what they call "Device Servers". Those are boxes with ethernet port on one side (they have both 10 and 100 Mbps) and one or more serial port (either RS232, RS422 or RS485). They allow you to control a serial device via ethernet. They can be configured via HTTP, SNMP, DHCP or Telnet.
                There is more detail at http://www.lantronix.com/products/ds/uds10/index.html
                I found them through while reviewing the SYS automation system from Premise Systems. They have an Interactive Device Diagram Generator where you can see how the wiring would go.
                I have no idea how much one of this Device Servers sells for, but it sounds like an interesting option.

------------------------
                -= Carlos Castillo
                -= www.CarlosHouse.com

Comment

Nice idea but...

http://www.lantronix.com/news/pr/200..._networld.html

Any other options?

- Scott

Comment

Ethernet connectivity would be nice...but more things need to be defined to make it usable. Ethernet is only the "physical layer", you still need to know how something will connect to it (ie: C-Max, Homeseer, etc. would need to be able to accept an IP address and tcp or udp port number to establish a Telnet-type connection). If you want this unit to be able to establish an outgoing connection, then you would need to be able to configure it (via it's internal parameters I imagine) again with an IP address, netmask, gateway and port number that it could then connect to, plus the connection type (tcp or udp). After that you also need to decide what you want it to do with this connection, like emulate a serial bobcat or whatever. A lot of points to consider

-----------------------------
                    If you don't know what you're doing... do it neatly.

Comment

In the old days we called them terminal servers, and they were configurable to allow a variety of access methods and serial support. And yes, they still aren't cheap, so I expect similar pricing for anything that translates web pages over Ethernet to serial. Highly custom programming required to the application, usually.

BTW, the device servers can sometimes also be used as remote serial ports - Ethernet-based serial ports that look like local COM ports on a machine. That's another option.

- huggy
                      |
                      | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                      HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Working...
                      X