This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Power Supply Voltage

I've been setting up my new Ocelot with 3 SECU16I & 2 SECU16 modules the last couple of days. I've noticed that the power supply supplied with the Ocelot supplies 17V DC unloaded voltage and when I load it up it drops to ~14.5V. This is out of the range recommended by the documentation so I wonder why I was given this power supply (it indicates it is a 12V suply on the nameplate).

What are others seeing at the terminals of their Ocelots/leopards?

NOTE: I have been running the system without any problems using this power supply so I'm OK with using it as long as I'm not going to cause any damage.

I wouldn't worry about it, the voltage is dropped to 5 volts internally by the regulator anyways. the 12 volt rating is usually for a full load (1 amp in the case of the power supply that comes with the Ocelot) although you must be close to that with all those modules.

-----------------------------
    If you don't know what you're doing... do it neatly.

Comment

Actually the power supply that came with the Ocelot was only rated at 200mA so I picked up a 1700mA unit for everything so I've got loads of capacity now.

Thanks... Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,
        Glavoie is right about the internal 5 volt regulator. I have a large power supply which added a regulator board I made to supplement it. I have a 12 volt, 9 volt and a 5 volt output. The 9 volts is for the ocelot/secu... This way the internal regulator only has to drop 4 volts and it runs a lot cooler than with a 12 volt supply. The 5 volts is for my temperature devices and the 12 volts for hardwired motion detectors.
        Stuart

Comment

Hi Stuart:

Your temperature devices... What are they?

I'm thinking of using LM34C's installed with hardwired motion detectors wired with 4C#22 (LM34's mounted on outside back of detector). They would share a supply voltage (12V), common and each would have a single wire to report status back to the Ocelot.

I believe the LM34's can be powered at 12V and still report accurately (I've got one now and I've yet to "turn it on".

Is what I'm talking about practical? I'd like to get whole house thermal distribution capability and since I've already wired every room for motion detectors and I only need 3 wires/detector (true?) this frees up the fourth for another use. This is a perfect application (IMHO).

Thanks... Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,
            I use LM34c's and run them on the 5 volts. However I've been experimenting with the ibutton temperature devices. Its nice that they are passively powered by the serial device. However the Garyga plugin was not easy to install. but the new version looks a lot better right now. It looks like it might be a contender. However I noticed that the Hs1wire does not shut down with HS and I have not tested whether or not it will restart correctly. Also the plugin uses just as much resources as Hs and I'm only running a k6400 machine with Att voices. I also have the Pointsix Ha7E (serial port Ibutton reader)which I call through a script so it only runs when I want it and I believe that will also read the ibutton temperature devices.
            Stuart

Comment

Hi Stuart:

How do you like the LM34C's. Have you added a resistor and/or capacitor to filter noise back at the Ocelot?

I'm looking at using the Ocelot inputs since I have lots and I want the Ocelot to be as autonomous as possible but I need to know if there is any special circuitry required to use the LM34.

Is anyone else using LM34's powered at 12V? Can anyone point me to an application note showing a usable circuit?

Thanks... Scott

[This message was edited by Scott Hurst on Wednesday, 15 January 2003 at 04:16 PM.]

Comment

Working...
              X