This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secu16IR Help

I am slowly rebuilding my Ocelot/Secu16 setup. I am at the stage now where I am trying to get IR control to work again.

I autoaddressed my Secu16IR and it shows up as module #1. I am using the latest Applied Digital Ocelot plugin (not using new ADIOOcelot plugin for the moment). My problem is that I am unable to get Ocelot to send IR via HomeSeer and successfully control anything.

I have a CAT5 cable running from the Secu16IR to my home stereo. I use each solid/strip pair of the CAT5 to control 4 zones. Each pair of wire is soldered to an 1/8" mono mini-plug and the min-plugs are in zones #0, #2, #4, and #6 (I am using every other one until I get smaller 1/8" plugs).

At the other end, I built a black box where mouse emitters plug into 1/8" female adapters. I have confirmed that I maintained proper polarity.

I suppose I should go back and check whether I can control a device by sending a command from HS to the Ocelot's IR out and then mess around with Secu16IR. Any other troubleshooting tips that I could use this weekend?

Jim Doolittle
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

I do not have a SECU16IR, but Rick Bonari did that part of the testing for me with the ADIOcelot plugin. We had a lot of trouble figuring out which homeseer zone 0, 1..16, 17 actually map into which IR emitter.

With the ocelot I have a hardwired emitter output that goes to an amplified distribution block. I have only optical on the IR input side. I started out with only CMAX doing my IR work so I tested at that level. I do not think there should be any problems with the serial link commanding the IR, but it is just one more variable.

Comment

I bought the Secu16IR and then later wondered if I really need it. I can see that zoned output is good when you have components whose IR commands are equivalent and you wish to control them independently. I thought that the added benefit was that it had amplification built in but did not confirm that in the specs or in anything that I read.

I tried using different zones to account for 1 to 17. The Secu16IR unit labels the zones 0 to 15 so that adds to the confusion. I first tried the IR Config Test button but got no response. I then tried a script so that I could change and test more easily but no luck with that either.

I think I will start with having CMAX send an IR out of a zone and use a IR detector strip (nice cheap investment for troubleshooting) to check the signal just as it leaves the Secu16IR. If I get a signal there then I will test at the components themselves. If all goes well there, then I need to figure out what's up with the HS -> Ocelot portion of the equation.

Jim Doolittle
      Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
      My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,
        did you ever get it working?
        I just finished (or almost finished) my IR setup with SECU16IR and I might have a few suggestions for you. Let me know.

Marty

Comment

Marty,

Got the Secu16IR working perfectly. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Spent a lot of time building virtual remote for my digital cable box and then we got the first bill after the introductory period and it was $50 per month. We decided to go back to basic cable for $15 per month. So now I need to alter the virtual remote buttons again

Thanks.

Jim Doolittle
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Working...
          X