This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Sensors

I started a separate topic about my underutilized Secu16I. I think I am going to add some door/window sensors in the form of magentic reed switches.

Obviously, I would like to know the door/window status in HomeSeer but I would also like to know about certain doors/windows left open "too long" (especially during Winter near Chicago). I like the robustness of the Ocelot so I am thinking that I track the door/window position in a HomeSeer device and user Ocelot CMAX to set device value based upon its own timers. I then let HomeSeer work off the device value rather any time-related HomeSeer events. What do you think?

Jim Doolittle
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

If you have the wiring in place then yes this would be a good use but if you do not then the X10 door/window sensors and the W800 are a much easier solution.

-Rupp
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'll probably do a mixture of both. My Control Room is in an unfinished part of the basement and gives me "easy" access to about a third of the doors/windows and actually gives me access to all entrances to home.

W800 is on my list though.

Jim Doolittle
      Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
      My Hardware & Software

Comment

Can you use your DooMotion plugin to monitor SECU16 inputs ?

AB

------------------------------------------------------------
        A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
        Sir Winston Churchill
        ------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

DooMotion can be used. In fact, that is why you can edit the device strings. I could use "door open" instead of "motion detected" and "door closed" instead of "no motion".

I was just trying to figure out whether I should do the timing within CMAX code or HS/DM? I am leaning to the CMAX code.

Jim Doolittle
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim, I have been using resistors in series on 1 i/o of my Secu16. I did only 1 because I wanted to confirm the reliability of the reading.
            What I have found so far is the value reported from the Ocelot variable to HS seems to "flicker". ie: it would read 250-251-249-250 and so on in a matter of seconds. Could be due to house voltage fluctuation, not sure.
            If I let HS trigger on a value change, then HS keeps calling the scripts and events. To get away from this, I've put a timer in Ocelot to report the value in a variable only after a certain period. In the case of my application, 30 seconds is fine.
            If you don't suffer this flickering, I would let HS do the "thinking" and timing after a value change. Seems to me HS is easier to manipulate through scripting than Ocelot is.
            Just my 2 cents, and lack or programming knowledge.
            Cheers

Comment

chando,

I already "been there ... done that" with the "flickering". I use several resistors in series to determine garage door position and end up using only one Secu16I input. I use CMAX code to set a value to 1, 2, or 3 depending upon the range. I selected resistances that produce results where the value variability does not cause an overlap.

BTW, I believe that ypou can also eliminate flickering by working with a status instead of a value. The Ocelot has internal parameters for determine an "ON" and "OFF" state that consider values below let's say 128 to be "ON" and above to be "OFF" such that 252,253,254 would be reported to HS as "OFF" (I might have that backwards but I think you get the idea). In my case, I have to work with the actual value as I need 3 positions ("closed", "open", "ajar").

You said that you put a timer in Ocelot to report the value in a variable. I assume you mean that you use the Ocelot's CMAX code to set the variable. If so, it sounds like I could use code similar to your 30 second check to handle a determination of how long my door sensor indicates an open door state. I could then have HomeSeer speak something when that elapsed time exceeds some number (30 seconds sounds good to me).

I guess this means that I will end up using a combination of both CMAX and HS for my open door checker.

Jim Doolittle
              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
              My Hardware & Software

Comment

Working...
              X