X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributing IR

Hi y'all

I'm thinking of buying an Ocelot to control some A/V stuff via HS. I have equipment in two different rooms, not in the same room as the HS computer.

I'd like to find out my options with distributing IR from the Ocelot/HS computer using stick on emitters at the A/V stuff.

Gracias, amigos
    -Michael

--
    "The key is sincerity. Once you learn to fake that, you've got it made..."
    -- ? successful IT salesman
    Regards,
    Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

I use an amplified Xantech distribution block from Worthington. It was a kit for about $40. This kit has a power supply, IR detector so remotes can be used, a 4 port distribution block and I think an IR emitter. I added some blinking dual emitters and 50' extensiion cables for a few dollars. All from Worthington.

The ocelot IR out goes to the distribution block. One port of the block goes back to the Learn detector on the ocelot and the others go to other equipment.

I actually have a 10 port one now as I expanded by IR capabilities.

Comment

Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply. I assume the distribution block is near the computer and the Ocelot. How do you get the IR to the other rooms, the extension cables? How long can these be? Is there a wireless solution - something like the Radio Shack gadget that converts IR to RF and back again?

I just don't want to run wires if I can help it.

Regards
      -Michael

--
      Regards,
      Michael

Comment

In my case it is all hardwired. The 50ft extension cables with the mono phono plugs on each end are only a few bucks from Worthington. You can also make you own out of cat5. Length is no practical problem. The IR-RF-RF-IR conversions should work as well. I have seen them typically work as blasters and the mouse is not used. I prefer the mouse solution since it gives me positive control and feedback at the mouse head that something is happening.

In my case I have a 20ft run from the ocelot to the block and back. A few 6ft runs and a few 50ft runs from the block

Comment

Any chance of getting you to list some part numbers. Every time I start looking at blocks and emitters etc my mind just goes into a kind of haze.

SteveD

Comment

I do not have the specifics of my original purchase. I believe it was a 789-44 variant that was known as a kit. It may of had a K suffix. I think Mr. Morgan was the advisor at Worthington. I know that my recent purchase was a 791-44 for 10 ports. I have a good regulated power supply for it. Dont cheap-out on the power supply. Regulation is important. The emitters I used are X286M at $9 for a dual head. I also have a bag of 10 surplus ones I picked up at $1 each, but have not put any into service.

I'm certain if you call and describe your objective they will advise on the proper parts.

Comment

Thanks Michael, I will give them a call. I also picked up the $1 bag of emitters, planning ahead.

SteveD

Comment

You might want to compare prices to:
                http://www.homeautomationnet.com/

Comment

Hi

I went to their web site and there is a bewildering array of products and components - all modular. There is also, however, a very useful set of 14 sample system diagrams from simple to very complex with part numbers. I haven't checked prices yet, but I think there's a solution in there for me.

Here's the link:
                  http://www.xantech.com/systems/diagram01.htm

Regards
                  -Michael

--
                  Regards,
                  Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X