This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create CMAX LIR files with out learning each command

From the website: www.hifi-remote.com, I can get Setup codes (codes to set up universal remotes) as well as Advanced codes for a given Setup code (see Setup code 0533 following message).

Is there any way to take these codes, create a file of all my devices with these codes and the Ocelot memory location) and then some how generate a file (.lir?) that can be downloaded into the ocelot via CMAX.

If not, what tools do people use to create these .lir files? (perferably without having to learn each and every button for each device).

I look at GenIRDB, but it was missing device files for some of my main components (or did not have all the Advanced codes as shown after message) that I want to start with, then add more as I get running.

Home Theater
    Yamaha RX-V795A Amp
    Sony DVP-CX985v DVD JukeBox
    Sony KV-35V35 TV
    Sony SLV-751HF VCR

Other Components
    Yamaha RX-V990 Amp
    Daewoo DTQ-13F3FC TV
    Pioneer PD-M501 CD
    Pioneer DV-525 DVD
    Symphonic SC3909 TV/VCR
    GE 25GT522 TV
    Sharp 13F-M50 TV
    Hitachi VT-FX530A VCR
    Motorola Digital Cable Box

Thanks,
    Scott

**Advance codes for Setup code 0533**

Laser Disk Players -- <VCR Group>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    0533 112 A-B 237 Index Forwar 156 Search Mode 000 Subtitle
    255 Angle Change 241 Index Revers 047 Shuffle 114 Time
    141 Clear 081 Open/Close 060 Shuttle Forw 208 Title
    173 Disc Skip 205 Program 064 Shuttle Reve 190 Up
    099 Display 145 Return 254 Slow Forward
    162 DNR 051 Scan Forward 002 Slow Reverse
    192 Down 044 Scan Reverse 252 Subtitle Change

227 Instant Replay
    224 Surround (TVS)
    078 Momentary Fast Forward
    082 Momentary Rewind

VIDEO DISK.
    142 0...............0 018 1...............1
    014 2...............2 016 3...............3
    012 4...............4 019 5...............5
    015 6...............6 017 7...............7
    013 8...............8 146 9...............9
    003 SHIFT PAUSE.....Audio Change 204 DISPLAY.........DVD Menu
    140 ENTER...........Enter 188 LEFT............Left
    092 PROGRAM.........Menu 174 PAUSE...........Pause
    048 PLAY............Play 079 POWER...........Power
    115 RECALL..........Repeat 195 RIGHT...........Right
    045 FAST FORWARD....Search Forward 049 REWIND..........Search Reverse
    046 CHANNEL UP......Skip Forward 050 CHANNEL DOWN....Skip Reverse
    176 SHIFT STOP......Step Left 172 SHIFT PLAY......Step Right
    178 STOP............Stop

More Codes:
    113 Discrete On
    109 Discrete Off
    226 DVE
    240 Scan/Slow <<
    236 Scan/Slow >>
    242 Search/Step <<
    238 Search/Step >>

Scott,

The short answer is that GenIRDB and IRMax (recently released by Applied Digital) make a good combination for managing and creating your IR library for the Ocelot. Here is a recent post where I describe that:
    http://www.appdigsupport.com/cgi-bin...c;f=5;t=000007

For Sony, here is the ultimate site for all the commands:
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/

Sony, above all others, has very consistent command sets. What that Sony site calls Command Code = Function (GenIRDB) = what the One-For-All (OFA and JP1) group calls OBC. The files you posted above contain two kinds of coded information. Setup Code (has four digits) and EFC's (three digits). EFC’s are encrypted OBC’s.

So for all your Sony gear, you can create an instant device file in GenIRDB by copying one of the lists straight off the Sony site and paste it into Excel. Use edit clear|formats to get rid of the effects of html and the text function to write a statement like =B1&"="&A1 in cell C1 where OBC's=Command Code are in column A and the description is in column B. Obviously copy that formula down to pick up all the rest of the commands.

I have done that for you below for your DVD. To use it, open notepad, copy and paste the text BETWEEN (but NOT including) the asterisks and create two files. Then copy and paste the file name INCLUDING the quotations using file|save as -- that way they end up in the proper directory when you install GenIRDB. You will need a different Sony20.irp below than what GenIRDB has in it's library to conform with the latest device numbering convention:

'***************DEVICE FILE*************
    Manufacturer=Sony
    Device=DVD
    Model=DVP-CX985v
    Protocol=Sony20
    Device Code=26

'File Name "C:\Program Files\GenIRDB\Device Library\OFA_Code_DVD0533.DVC"

DEFINE=S=73 'Sub-Device
    Repeat=3
    [Key Codes]

1=0
    2=1
    3=2
    4=3
    5=4
    6=5
    7=6
    8=7
    9=8
    0=9
    Enter (menu select key also)=11
    Disc Explorer=12
    Set=13
    Return=14
    Clear=15
    Search R1=16
    Search F1=17
    Input Select=18
    Channel Up=19
    Channel Down=20
    Power toggle=21
    Open/Close=22
    Record=25
    Title, Top Menu=26
    DVD Menu=27
    Record Mode=30
    Program=31
    Search/Step Rev=32
    Search/Step Fwd=33
    Scan/Slow Rev=34
    Scan/Slow Fwd=35
    Index Rev=38
    Index Fwd=39
    Time/Text=40
    Pause (discrete?)=41
    A-B=42
    Play Mode=43
    Repeat=44
    Power On (discrete)=46
    Power Off (discrete)=47
    Previous=48
    Next=49
    Play=50
    Scan Rev=51
    Scan Fwd=52
    Shuffle=53
    Reverse x2=54
    Forward x2=55
    Stop=56
    Pause=57
    Step Rev, Jog Rev=58
    Step Fwd, Jog Fwd=59
    Record Stop=61
    Record Pause=62
    Disc 1=64
    Disc 2=65
    Disc 3=66
    Disc 4=67
    Disc 5=68
    1/All Discs=71
    DNR, BNR=72
    Load=73
    Search Mode=75
    Mega Control=78
    Memo Input Select=79
    Picture Navi=80
    TV/DVD=81
    Easy Play=82
    Menu, Setup, System Menu=83
    Display=84
    Video Off (toggle video circuitry)=85
    Fl Off (toggle fluorescent display)=86
    Bookmark=87
    DVE=88
    Surround=90
    Picture Mode, Video Control=91
    Replay, Instant Replay, Instant Replay/Step Rev=92
    VES=93
    SACD Multi/2Ch=94
    SACD/CD=95
    Slow Rev=96
    Slow Fwd=97
    Subtitle On/Off=98
    Subtitle=99
    Audio=100
    Angle=101
    AV Center=107
    Scan R2=110
    Scan F2=111
    Shuttle Rev=114
    Shuttle Fwd=115
    Picture Memory=118
    Slow Toggle Reverse=119
    Up=121
    Down=122
    Left=123
    Right=124

'***************END OF DEVICE FILE*************
    '********Protocol FILE sony20.irp *************
    Protocol=Sony20
    Frequency=40000
    Time Base=600
    Zero=1,-1
    One=2,-1
    Form=[4 -1],F:7,D:5,S:8,[^45000]

'File Name "C:\Program Files\GenIRDB\Device Library\Sony20.irp"

'***************END OF Protocol FILE*************

Yamaha actually posts many of their command sets. Your exact model isn't there but they are basically all pretty much alike. When you get to that point, I'll explain how to use that information:

Yamaha
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/ir_codes.htm

Finally, you should seriously consider getting an OFA remote to use for actually controlling your equipment for things like Vol+/- Ch+/-, DVD navigation commands, and etc. OFA remotes are $20 to $30 and the JP1 cable is $15 pre-made a $1 if you can solder and have an electronic junk box. Rob Crowe the man behind OFA/JP1 and www.hifi-remote.com just posted a very good explanation with screen shots of the JP1 tools:
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

Note that when you learn a command the OFA software (IR.exe) decodes it. If you learned your DVD commands, they would decode as something like Sony20:26.73:21 (Sony 20 bit protocol:device=26.sub-device=73:Function=21) for a Power Toggle.

With those tools, we can make a JP1 remote do anything from an IR command perspective that a Pronto/Harmony/MX can do for $30 to $40. I have had an Ocelot for five years and originally controlled my Home Theater with HS and an Ocelot. I now control 11 to 13 devices with an OFA remote and it executes macros flawlessly. I use the Ocelot to turn On the TV when we are gone and things like that, but I control a pretty complex system with a remote that has 2KB of EEPROM.

For brevity, I'll stifle any of my further enthusiasm about JP1 remotes for now.

-Jon

Comment

I will take a futher look at the links you have sent me and try them out.

I already have a RadioShack 15-1994 6-In-One Remote control and have bought a JP1 cable as well and am looking to find out all I can do with this as well.

I really like the idea about shutting off all TV's in the house when leaving (This is definitly on my list). What I am envsioning right now is to display DVD selections any of my TouchScreen computers and have that DVD play on all TV's in the house thru my AVCast system (rebroadcast to an unused channel). So I need some control of my DVD JukeBox thru my Ocelot IR distribution to accomplish this.

Right now I have a Palm Pilot programed to turn on all the components of my Home Theater and select the right modes for each device (ex. TV On, TV Mode 2, Amp On, Amp DD 5.1, DVD On all with one click). I can see doing this with one of my Touch Screen in the Home Theater area (can also control X10 lighting as well) with the ocelot and homeseer.

Thanks for the help,
      Scott

Comment

How do you know which IR spec from the list from the sony website for DVD with a Setup code of 0533? Which IR spec did you use?

How did you come up with the following info: Protocol=Sony20
        Device Code=26
        DEFINE=S=73 'Sub-Device
        Repeat=3

Thanks for the help,
        Scott

Comment

How would I get the device file for the following Setup codes.

Yamaha RX-V795A Amp AMP_0176
          Sony KV-35V35 TV TV_0000
          Sony SLV-751HF VCR VCR_0032

Thanks,
          Scott

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott D:
            I already have a RadioShack 15-1994 6-In-One Remote control and have bought a JP1 cable as well and am looking to find out all I can do with this as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a bunch of 1994's and use them everywhere. That way every remote works the same way to the user even though what it controls is different.

Make sure you download the latest JP1 software particularly IR.exe. You can learn a command with your 1994 and IR will decode it down to protocol, device, sub-device, and OBC. If IR can decode it, I can create an irp (protocol file for GenIRDB). I can also tell you the OFA setup code and probably have the command set for that code.

This will be useful for the things like Daewoo TV, Symphonic Combo, GE TV, etc. where that information is harder to come by for a variety of reasons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Right now I have a Palm Pilot programed to turn on all the components of my Home Theater and select the right modes for each device (ex. TV On, TV Mode 2, Amp On, Amp DD 5.1, DVD On all with one click). I can see doing this with one of my Touch Screen in the Home Theater area (can also control X10 lighting as well) with the ocelot and homeseer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically, I have my 15-1994 setup to do the same concept. With some of the advanced tools known as extenders, you can assign a macro to the device keys and you can go past the 15 command limit. You can literally assign any IR command to any physical key. You can also dynamically assign key groups like Vol+/-/Mute; FF/REW/Play/Stop; and the rest of the keys minus the first two, to different devices at the same time.

So if you press CBL/SAT, that turns on all the relevant equipment, sets all the AV inputs, and even sets the three digit channel. At the end of the macro, the volume is controlled by the receiver the channel+/- the DBS or TV, the Transport Keys DVD, CD, media player (all as appropriate). Once the main macro is run (TV or shift-TV) then all the controls work intuitively. These macros execute in three or four seconds and several have over 20 commands. The response compared to "before" is instantaneous.

In my case two out of my three entertainment clusters are high definition (HD) displays (a Sony front projection system and a Sony XBR) so I use shifted device keys to set the HD mode and Tune to the first HD channel. The reason for that is that the screen will go blank if a HD signal input is present and the display is in regular definition mode and vice-versa.

So even though in theory a 15-1994 is a six device remote, there is no practical limit other than memory to the number of devices

So I am controlling twelve devices including AV switchers, a ReplayTV, DVD, HD DBS, Media Player, a PC with a HD Tuner card that acts as a PVR, etc. Of course the cool thing is you can save your configuration on your PC and program it from the PC rather than have to do a whole bunch of button sequences on the remote itself.

You can also use IR commands to trigger HS with the Ocelot IR match or an IR543 (~$20) that is a direct IR to powerline interface and the x10 IR commands are in the built in library on the remote. So you could control home theater lighting from either the remote or an HS event.

Relevant to an Ocelot or any other programmable IR device, there are a number of tools that can also decode Pronto ccf files. More information here http://www.hifi-remote.com/files/hel...deCCF-help.zip

You can probably find files for your non-Sony gear. The Pioneer equipment will be important to try to find a ccf file since they have a tendency to use an overly complex IR command. For some functions they transmit two different commands repeatedly Command 1, Command 2, Command 1 ….

So why don’t you play around with discovering what you have by learning a few commands and using some of the tools and follow up with questions.

-Jon

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott D:
              How do you know which IR spec from the list from the Sony website for DVD with a Setup code of 0533? Which IR spec did you use?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a spreadsheet, Devices4.xls over in the JP1 Yahoo group files|spreadsheets that when you enter VCR(DVD is a subset) 0533, will tell you the Sony protocol, device and sub-device number. It is also listed at the very top of each of those lists of commands at the Sony site.

Basically all Sony DVD's use the same command set. Not all units respond to every command. There are also at least three device/sub-device combinations that are DVD 1, DVD 2, and DVD 3 so you could use more than one Sony DVD without having both units respond to the same commands. So Sony20:26.73:46 (Protocol : Device.Sub-device:function) is discrete On for DVD 1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How did you come up with the following info: Protocol=Sony20
              Device Code=26
              DEFINE=S=73 'Sub-Device
              Repeat=3
              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A combination of GenIRDB's documentation and a description at the Sony command website. There are three major Sony Protocols in use Sony12, Sony15 and Sony20. The numbers are how many data bits are in each protocol. All have seven function bits. Sony12, Sony15 and Sony20 have five, eight, and five device bits respectively and Sony 20 also has eight sub-device bits. By convention 26.73 means device=26 and sub-device=73.

The easy way to figure out what to use in these Sony Protocols is that anything with a decimal between device and sub-device is Sony20. The maximum decimal number that can be expressed in five-bits is 31. If the device number (without a decimal)&gt;31 then it is Sony 15 (except for device=4 which is always Sony 15), otherwise Sony12. IIRC, there is only one function in Sony15:4:55 a master system off command that most Sony gear will respond to.

Repeat=3 just tells GenIRDB to create three copies of the command. It takes three IR commands to get reliable recognition.

Comment

How would I get the device file for the following Setup codes.

Yamaha RX-V795A Amp AMP_0176<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its NEC1:122, I have attached the NEC1.irp and RCVR0176.dvc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
                Sony KV-35V35 TV TV_0000<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is Sony12:1, Sony15:164. I have included teh protocol files for Sony12 and Sony15. Create the device files as I descibed several posts above by copying the lists of commands from the ony website. You will need to edit the header for the Equipment/Model, Protocol (change Sony20 to Sony12 or Sony15 and Device Code= to 1 or 164 and delete the DEFINE=S=73 'Sub-Device
                line)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sony SLV-751HF VCR VCR_0032<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is Sony12:11 and Sony15:186
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X