Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powering up more modules with one power supply?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powering up more modules with one power supply?

This crossed my mind when looking at the bunch of power supplies that are plugged to power strip.
    I have OCELOT, SECU-16IR and now I bought SECU-16. After looking in manuals I found out that all of them have the same specifications.
    Power: 9-16 Volts AC or DC, 200 mA.

So if I will put all of them on one power supply with 12V and 800mA it should be OK right??? Electrically it should be OK, but is there anything else to consider?

Here is picture of a part of my wiring room. SECU-16 is not mounted yet.

[This message was edited by Czechmarty on Tue, 23 March 2004 at 05:13 PM.]
    Attached Files

Hi,
    I have one large power supply. Then I have a board I built with three voltage regulators and capacitors on it. There is 12,9, and 5 volts. The biggest gain was by using the 9 volts, it kept the ocelot and secu 16 regulators running a lot cooler as they didnt have to heat up as much when being fed 12 volts. The 5 volts I use for some temperature sensors. The 12 volts feeds anything that needs 12 volts, relays etc...
    Stuart

Comment

Hmmm, that is not a bad idea at all.
      Maybe old computer 350W power supply (I have few of them around) would do it. It doesn't have 9V (at least I don't think so, but a couple resistors would do it.

Comment

Hi Czechmarty,
        Dont use the resistors, theyll make too much heat and if they burn out you loose the voltage. The voltage regulators are only a couple of bucks. They are short circuit protected and also thermal protected so they dont self destruct. You run them with a heatsink and they can handle more power.
        Stuart

Comment

Stuart,
          Thanks a lot for those great ideas. I think I still even have some voltage regulators around in my work.
          I'll definitely give it a shot.
          Thanks again

Marty

Comment

Working...
          X