Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do YOU do with the Ocelot (and SECU-16)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do YOU do with the Ocelot (and SECU-16)?

Hello!
    I am trying to decide if I want to jump into the digital sensor I/O arena and purchase a Ocelot (and SECU-16) and I'd like to know what different uses people have for it.

Also, I have seen the term 'discrete IR' and would like to know what that means.

Another thing... would anyone recommend a good place to find a deal on one? I found one at iAutomate.com for $175... is this a good price?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I use mine:
    As a 'virtual' remote control for my AV stack.
    To override the thermostat in my appartment.
    To open and close my mini blinds automaticlly.
    To allow multi-zone IR control.
    To adjust the lighting to my mood.
    And as a failsafe watchdog for the computer running HomeSeer.
    Much more to come...

BTW:
    Home automationnet has it for $158.50:
    http://www.homeautomationnet.com/appdig/AppDig.asp

Comment

Take a look at this thread:

ocelot/secu16 thread

Comment

Worthing distribution has them for ~ $162.00

http://worthdist.com
        StevenE
        Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PaulH:
          Home automationnet has it for $158.50:
          http://www.homeautomationnet.com/appdig/AppDig.asp <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Thanks for the deal link Paul, but when I click on it, I get a page saying "The requested resource is in use." Wierd, huh? A page that can only be viewed by one person at a time? I think that's taking "personal shopping" a little too far. I think I saw someone else mention this shop and the price too, but they also said there was a 15% discount somewhere on this forum? Or is it a discount for mentioning HS? Anyone know???

Comment

Looks like Home Automationnet is down.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smee:
              Take a look at this thread:

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...2853#258102853 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks smee, that was what I was looking for.

How many devices can be hooked up to one port on the SECU? I know that they can be daisy chained but that is far as I have gotten. Also, are the digital devices that can hooked up to the Ocelot all proprietary or can you get ones from other manufactures?

Comment

Martin of Automatedoutlet.com is going to carry Applied Digital products soon. You may want to contact him as he has great prices and is also a valued member of this forum.

Another great place for Applied Digital information and support is over at their forum and web site
                --------------------------------------------------
                **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

With further research into the Ocelot and other digital I/O products, I think that the Ocelot may actually duplicate some of the systems I am already utilizing, most importantly, the IR support. Also, for what I wish to use the I/O device for, temperature readings, relays, and as contact switch sensor, the Ocelot maybe somewhat overkill. Not to mention, the cost of the expansion boards are fairly costly for it.

I think that I will most likely be going with a 1-Wire system. The initial cost is less than the Ocelot (the TEMP08 unit and the RELAY05 8 relay expansion card) is less than $170 and the sensors: temp, dry circuit, light, humidity, etc. are a great deal cheaper than the ADI equivalent. The temperature sensor alone is only $5 compared to $50+ for the ADI one. Personally, I also think that the TEMP unit is much more flexible, at least for what I want to use them for. I know that many people would beg to differ, especially under this topic. Now, I might be eating those words when I start working with the unit, but I can live with that! So, please, no flaming, ok?

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I appreciated every piece of it. You are good people. I am always confident that if I have a question, there'll be people out there that will be willing to help.

Thanks again…. and happy Ocelotting

Comment

Working...
                  X