This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor noise/sounds with SECU16?

I was curious if anyone had tried to use the SECU16 to monitor noise/sounds? I was looking to monitor my baby's room. I was watching the baby monitor and saw the LED's light according to noise levels, and was thinking that if I connected a microphone to an analog input on my SECU16 I could set a trigger level and then alert me if there is noise in the room. I don't always want to hear the sounds, just to be alerted if they are greater than XX db

I wanted to ask here before I attempted this myself, as my SECU16 is not easy to reach...

I don't think you can do this with just a mike connected to the analog input. You would need a small circuit to handle the input of the mike such as an amp with a switch set at a db level or something like that. I bet if you do a goggle you should be able to find something that would work. I have some stuff laying around If i come across it I will post it here for you.

Comment

I am not an electrical whiz but I did manage to use one Secu input to monitor for several garage door positions. I use CMAX code to translate the 0-255 value into discrete status value for HomeSeer because the Secu input value could vary +/- 2.

So, if you could tap off the the led level signal and that voltage is less than 5V, you may be close to having this done.

Based upon past experience with a baby monitor and three kids, you will quite often get high levels that are not something to be alarmed about. So, I would recommend that you also consider "how long" the LEDs are at a higher level. Ultimately, this will be tricky as I did not pay attention the the LEDs as much as what I was hearing through the speaker.
      Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
      My Hardware & Software

Comment

One of these simple sound activated switches provieds a relay that could be wired to the Secu16 as a digital (on/off) device

Pete C

Comment

Working...
        X