This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding modules to Ocelot System

I am about to add an SECU16 and SECU16IR modules to my Ocelot System and was wondering what the best procedure for doing this is so that I don't change any of the existing I/O addresses of the existing modules in Homeseer?
    Also, I will be installing these modules in a different location from that of the computer running the Homeseer and Ocelot configuration software. You have to push the little button on the module to get it to address properly and this is virtually impossible with the modules you want to install located in a different room from the setup computer. Is it best to install them locally and then move them to their respective remote locations? Thanks in advance for all your help !!!!!!!

Rick,

The easiest method I have found is to just connect the one new module to the network (to the Ocelot or Leopard) and then initiate the address routine. Press the Skip Module button until you get to the address that you want the new unit to be at, and then press the button on the unit to give it that address. You can then connect that unit to the existing network and power everything back up.

When wiring the modules, keep in mind that it is a BUS topology, not a STAR topology.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

You can only press the SKIP button if you have disconnected all previously addressed modules first. Any module that you have connected to the network when you initiate the auto address function will have it's address erased so if you skip over them when their address comes up, they will not be addressed when you are done.

I have 11 modules in my network and they are spread all over (in the house, under the house, in the attic and in my shop). It's a bit of a pain, but whenever I add a module (not frequently), I just go around to all the modules in sequence and press the address button. It doesn't matter how far they are apart or how long it takes you to get to one to press the button. You can tell that it "takes" when you press the button if the light changes from a fast blink to a slow blink. Then just go to the next module in sequence. I just added modules 10 and 11 to my system a few days ago. It just took about 10 minutes to re-address all 11 modules without having to disconnect any to address just the two new ones. Every couple of modules, I would go back to the computer to make sure it was showing the correct module number (corresponding to the one I was going to next). Do it whichever way you consider easiest but both ways work fine.

Comment

DC
        If I get what your saying, the best thing to do is power the Ocelot and Modules down, hook up my new module/s and then power back up the Modules then the Ocelot so that it has a chance to recognize them. Next I would go back and address the first module, then second, and so on and so forth. Once I do this, if I address them all correctly as before, my Ocelot variables and I/O points should not change in Homeseer? Would this be correct? I assume so from what you have said in your post. The key would probably be addressing them the same once the power is reapplied. Thanks for your help in advance !!!!!!

Comment

I believe Rick T was referring to disconnecting the other modules from the bus (ie: disconnect COMA/COMB from the Ocelot) and plug this into the new module. Then start the autoaddress process skipping until you get the to desired address.

Then once that's done, connect the existing modules and new one to the bus and re-power up.

This is a lot faster than what DC is doing as you don't have to walk all over to readdress all the modules.

This is the method I use.

Comment

Either method works fine. For me personally, I prefer to simply install my new module where it's going to be permanently, then go through the auto-address process. I realize I could disconnect all the existing modules, temporarily connect my new module to the Ocelot and address it, disconnect the new module, reconnect all the old modules, then go install the new module in its permanent location. But, it's not that much trouble to go push the button on all the modules. If I had hundreds of them it would different, but with only 11 modules, in four locations, it just takes a few minutes (less than 10) to re-address them all.

Actually, I did try the disconnect old modules method once and when I connected them back to the Ocelot, I didn't get a screw tightened completely and had intermittent COMM problems for a few days until ADI helped me figure out what the problem was.

Comment

Working...
            X