This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocelot and passthrough IR

I have the following configuration and need the collective wisdom of this gang:

Xantech IR rcvr to Xantech connecting block
    Xantexh IR emitter to Ocelot IR rcvr input
    Ocelot to SECUIR
    emitter from SECUIR to one stereo receiver

I have the ADIOcelot plugin and have used the IR config to teach the codes for this one receiver. This works fine.

What does not work is trying to get the remote IR receiver to drive the Ocelot. The IR emiiter from the Xantech is stuck right over the IR window next to the connectors and flashes when I zap the remote IR Receiver.

I need to have the ability to have these remte IR receivers in various rooms, connect to the Xantech block and drive the Ocelot and SECUIR.

Seems I am missing something simple.

Please enlighten me....

Thanks

I think you would need to program the Ocelot to transmit and IR signal when it received the IR signal. It would be easier to take another emitter off of the connecting block and put it in front of the stereo. You could also leave the emitter from the SECUIR in front of the stereo take the output of SECUIR and feed it into the connecting block as using this Smarthome interface:
    Smarthome 8175

You have to use this because of the voltage diff between the SECUIR and the Xantech connecting block.

Comment

I pretty much agree with jabrans with a few things to add

Your connection between the connecting block back to the ocelot should be a standard emitter that covers the learning window of the ocelot. You want an optical connection rather than an electrical between the two units. The smarthome solution will do the same thing, but you need to buy more hardware.

You have complicated your life with the SECU16IR because you now need logic to recognize an IR signal and then decide which IR output zone to put it on. If you have homeseer do the recognition/output then you will be quite unhappy with the delays involved. If you do it with the ocelot/cmax it will still not be as good a a direct connection, but will be usable.

My view of the SECU16IR is that it is good when controlling multiple zones based upon a programmed source such as Homeseer. When your primary source is a handheld remote then you need to assess if the added multi-zone capability justifies the general performance decrease.

Comment

Thanks jabrans and Michael for your feedback. I always seem to find the hardest way to do things.

I went into HS and selected IR config, typed in the name of the function and used it's learning function.

I connected an emitter to the Ocelot's IR output/emitter and placed that over the remote eye on the stereo receiver. I can use the test function from IR config in HS and it all works fine meaning I can control the stereo.

I also have the emitter(xantech 283m) from the Xantech connecting block sitting over the IR input on the Ocelot. I was hoping that when the remote IR receiver was triggered it would flash the IR input on the Ocelot and that the Ocelot would then send the same IR code to the SECUIR and then out it's emitters.

I guess what I am not understanding is the best way to do this. I was unaware of delay issues as mentioned by Michael.

My final goal is to have a remote like a Pronto and be able to go to any room, point at an IR receiver and control my devices.

By the way, I did purchase the Smarthome item that jabrans spoke of. I just did not see how I would use it in my configuration.

So, based on that goal and my current hardware, how would you proceed?

Any plain explanation on the easiest, best,etc is much appreciated. Pictures, diagrams and anything else you can think of gladly accepted.

Still learning, still burning....

Thanks again

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Pronto, but how does it handle the situation where you have, for example, two Sony TV's in two rooms and want to control each of these indpeendently from the same location?

The reason to use the SECU16IR is to handle the same equipment in different locations. If you different equipment then the IR signal can be broadcast everywhere in the house and only the equipment that recognizes the code will respond.

Assuming you are using mouse emitters rather than a blaster, then this means your configuration will be a xantech IR receiver from which the IR output goes to the xantech amplified connecting block. Each output port on the connecting block goes to a piece of equipment. This configuration will allow a single remote control to control every piece of equipment in the house.

If you want to also control this equipment from homeseer/ocelot then the IR output of the ocelot will be connected to the second input of the xantech IR receiver.

If you want homeseer/ocelot to know what IR code was sent from your remote control then another emitter output of the xantech connecting block is stuck onto the LED learning window of the ocelot . I think the ocelot IR input also has an electrical connection so rather than using an emitter over the window you will use the device from smarthome to commect between the connecting block output to the ocelot electrical input. This unit is essentially an electical to IR emitter / IR receiver to electrical connection.

If you have the same equipment at two locations then you cannot plug everything into the same IR line because both pieces will respond to each IR command simultaneously. This means you need multiple IR circuits. Think of it like the house circuit breaker where you have multiple circuits that all use the same 120v, but each can be individually turned on and off.

For this situation you need to wire your IR lines like you wire your power lines. It is called an IR Zone rather than an Elecrical Circuit in the analogy. Now the emitters are not all connected to the same distribution point but have a "circuit breaker" to isolate each zone from the other. This circuit breaker is the SECU16IR. The SECU16IR has to be told which IR input signals need to go to which of the zones and then it will send that signal to the correct zone, and only this zone.

This intelligence is provided by the ocelot using CMAX or the information can be sent from the ocelot to homseseer which will run a script on the PC and the result communicated back to the ocelot which will then command the SECU16IR to send to the correct zone.

Comment

Michael,

>>I'm not familiar with the Pronto, but how
            >>does it handle the situation where you have,
            >>for example, two Sony TV's in two rooms and >>want to control each of these independently
            >>from the same location?

The Pronto is just a fancy, programmable remote so it does not have the ability to distinguish between two identical devices.

>>The reason to use the SECU16IR is to handle
            >>the same equipment in different locations. If
            >>you different equipment then the IR signal
            >>can be broadcast everywhere in the house and >>only the equipment that recognizes the code >>will respond.

I am using different brand stereo receivers for each room(zone) and all receivers are located in an area in my basement. This centralization is what prompted the need for the remote IR set up in each room. I chose the Xantech approach because of the ability to connect to a distribution block and then to the Ocelot.

>>Assuming you are using mouse emitters rather than a blaster, >>then this means your configuration will be a xantech IR >>receiver from which the IR output goes to the xantech amplified >>connecting block. Each output port on the connecting block goes >>to a piece of >>equipment. This configuration will allow a >>single remote control to control every piece >>of equipment in >>the house.

The above paragraph is pretty much what I have done. The exception is wanting to be able to control the devices from either the Xantech IR distribution or via HomeSeer.

>>If you want to also control this equipment from homeseer/ocelot then the IR output of the ocelot will be connected to the second >>input of the xantech IR receiver.

I will try this tonight. I was hoping to use the emitters from the SECUIR to control the devices as they are cheaper and I already own the SECUIR.

>>If you want homeseer/ocelot to know what IR >>code was sent from your remote control then >>another emitter output of the xantech >>connecting block is stuck onto the LED >>learning window of the ocelot . I think the >>ocelot IR input also has an electrical >>connection so rather than using an emitter >>over the window you will use the device from >>smarthome to commect between the connecting >>block output to the ocelot electrical input. >>This unit is essentially an electical to IR >>emitter / IR receiver to electrical >>connection.

As to the last paragraph, What coding do I need to do to have HS recognize IR codes sent by the Xantech system?

Summary:

* SECUIR is not necessary in my configuration.
            * I need Xantech mouse emitters(12v, $9.00
            each) vs. the cheaper(5v, $1.00 each)
            * Paragraph #4 is the best way to go to control
            the IR using HS or Xantech.

Do you agree?

Thanks again for your feedback....

Comment

I agree that if all your equipment is unique then there should be no need for zones/SECU16IR. An amplified distribution block will be your central IR point.

I'm familiar with with a xantech setup that has an IR receiver which receives a remote control's IR signal and delivers it to the xantech amplified distribution block. This same unit is also able to accept an electrical IR input which is essentially a passthrough to the amplified distribution block input. This electrical input is used to accept the IR output from the ocelot.

I am not familiar with how multiple IR receivers are connected to a single distribution block or how distribution blocks are daisy-chained. I believe both of these can be done with simple connections, but I have not done it myself.

I have used the $1 goldmine emitters in this configuration and I do not know of any reason to change from these unless you want a blinking type. I dont understand where the $12 version come into play. Otherwise I believe your summary is correct.

I know that others have used IR to RF to RF to IR in a blaster configuration. Let us say you have a remote control upstairs that you want to use to control the downstairs equipment. You could then use one of the IR/RF/IR units with the IR receiver end upstairs and the IR transmiter end downstairs. The transmitter would be positioned so that it was visible to the xantech IR receiver discussed above. These units also have an electrical output at the transmitter. I have picked up some of these Recton units on ebay for around $20 in the past. Pyramid is another brand.

Comment

RV6Pilot,

What gear are you trying to control? I think your setup will be somewhat dependant on that. If most of your equipment responds to discrete commands, then the design can be greatly simplified. Discrete commands are usually not on OEM remotes but are power On only, Power Off only, specific AV Inputs, and aspect and resoultion commands for HDTV, etc.

I don't need to know model numbers. Sony TV, Zenith VCR will suffice for now. I can give you an educated guess as to whether they have discrete commands.

Comment

Working...
                X