X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using RJ45 to DB9 and CAT5 to connect to Ocelot

Has anybody done this?
    I want to use an existing CAT5 cable to connect the serial port on my HS computer to my Ocelot, using standard RJ45 to DB9 adaptors.
    If so, what pinout is used (straight, null,etc.)?
    Is it workable for a 50Ft. run?
    Are all wires used? What's the minimum number of wires needed in cable?
    I'd like to use same cable to return a reboot signal from WatchDog (2 wires).
    Why; I want to move my HS computer to another location and leave the Ocelot with my AV stack.

Thanks in advance,
    PaulH

I would use a straight through configuration.. just remember if one of the DB9 is a female and the other is a male, wirw it by the numbers stamped on the connector.. not by the way it appears you would wire it.. also make sure your existing cat 5 is straight through and not a crossover.. RS-232 is generally good for at least 100 feet on cat 5 cable. I would run wires 2-9 and leave 1 empty. on a 9 pin PC port, 2 is Rxdata, 3 is Txdata and 5 is ground. im not sure if the ocelot requires anymore than that or not.. but thats the MINIMUM for any RS232 transmission..
    -christopher
    -christopher
    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Has anybody done this?
      I want to use an existing CAT5 cable to connect the serial port on my HS computer to my Ocelot, using standard RJ45 to DB9 adaptors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
      I do this now with my Ocelot using existing Cat5e (with RJ-45 connectors).

I use THESE DB-9 to RJ-45 adapters and just wire them up so pins 2&3 are crossed and pin 5 is straight through (on the DB-9 connectors). You can "feed" the unused wires through the back of the connector and use them for another connection. I am actually running my Caddx Alarm system and Ocelot off of the same Cat5E cable doing this.

Regards,

BSR
      --------------------------------------------------
      **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Thanks for the fast response guys.

Comment

Followup:
          Used three-wire (pin2,pin3,& pin5) straight through (2-2, 3-3, 5-5). Worked great
          I did have a problem with the reboot command for my WatchDog. This comes off my SECU16, a NO set of relay contacts, connected VIA CAT5, across the reset switch on the PC. Random noise was being picked up by this 50' "antenna" which was causing the PC to reboot at random. The fix was a 100 PFd capacitor across the reset switch inside the PC.
          Just in case anyone else tries this.

Comment

Working...
          X