This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR Blaster - Ocelot - Begineer

My server is 50 feet from the room where I want to use the IR. My understanding is that the Ocelet needs to be at the server. So do I need to purcahse he SECU161IR and place it near the area where I want the control and then use Guy's circuit for the blaster. I was trying avoid the stick on emitters.

I see the USB-UIRT, but agian I need to be closer to the room.

I use the blaster circuit here: Home Toys (look at entry number 7). I put the circuit next to the Ocelot (which is in my basement), and I use CAT5 to get to the LED mounted in my family room wall. It's about 40 ft of CAT5, and the LED is about 26 ft from my A/V equipment. It works every time.

Steve

Comment

kane,
      I highly recommend the powermids. I have my Ocelot near the PC upstairs and all of my equipment is downstairs. I bought a small ir mouse emitter $5 and connected it to the ir power mi receiver and set it beside my Ocelot. I then plugged the transmitter downstairs with my equipment. The powermids are so strong that even at 90° angle my stereo still turns on/off without fail.

Here's a link to the emitter. I chose to get the blinking emitter so you get a visual feedback to let you know it working.

http://www.smarthome.com/8170.html

The powermids can be bought for $34 a pair on ebay or $34.99
      a pair at http://www.automatedoutlet.com/custo...tring=powermid
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I did try Powermids as well, but found that - at least at my house - they are very prone to RF interference. Both the 900 MHz phones and the microwave completely killed any communications between the receiver and the transmitter. I even thought it was a bad pair of Powermids, and took them back to RS for an exchange. The second pair had the same problem, so I gave up on them.

Steve

Comment

Hum... I have 2 microwaves, (8) 900 mhz phones and 6 sets of the powermids and I have never experienced a problem. I have read where direct sunlight can affect them as well but no problems here. It's a lot easier to plug them in and try than to connected wires. I'm glad mine worked because my house is not wired with cat5.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Powermids work well here too. Really work as "blasters" if you want them to or attach an emitter for more controlled output.

5.8 GHZ phones (was 2.4 and working then too) 900mhz intercoms for VR, microwave. Martin (automated outlet) sold me just the receivers for less than the pairs when I needed some.

GLT

Comment

I'm also one of the ones who's had trouble with PowerMids and interference. Normally, they would work fine. But there was something, somewhere that liked to kill them. The receiver would flood the room with random IR, effectively preventing anything (including hand held remotes) from working.

I was never able to track down the source of the interference. I live in an apartment and it could easily have been coming from outside.

I ended up giving up on the PowerMids and going to a wired solution. But if they work for you, they are an easy solution to set up. If I could use them, I would.

Of course, by switching to wired I can now operate more than one zone. I've got two zones wired but I'm still treating them as one until I get around to updating everything.

Comment

same here....

Powermind bad, hardwire good

Comment

<<Powermind bad, hardwire good>>

Couln't have said it better. I Spent some time crawling around pulling CAT5, and I have not been sorry. HS/Ocelot with an IR/Linc and an inexpensive Buffalo Electronics IR block now functions almost as instaneously as a remote. In fact, using the IR in plug on my Home Theater preamp, it is even more reliable than the remote.

Comment

I don't have Powermids in my apartment but something similiar and it works GREAT! I've been running them for over a year now and have no complaints at all. I'm with whoever said to just give them a shot and see what happens before you run wire.

Comment

Working...
                    X