This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support control of remote iTunes players

I have just learned that iTunes has to installed on the same PC as HomeSeer :-( (BAD)

I have a new XP install on a 24/7 lower power PC that is dedicated to HomeSeer. I want that PC to remain as clean (responsive) as possible and to not be laboured with other tasks eg iTunes or JRiver, and in particular any aspect of being the player for the music streaming. I also want to be able to control multiple zones of audio.

Are there no plans to make the plugins for either iTunes or JRiver able to control remote instances ? I find that most surprising as it just makes automation sense to do it that way.... other controllers achieve it so it's very possible.

K

PS Apologies in that I have posted to both the JRiver and iTunes plugin forums re this .. but maybe the plugin authors only monitor their own one..

You know, I was wishing for the exact same thing for the exact same reason!

There is nothing in the Apple iTunes COM SDK that provides this, so all of the solutions out there are home grown.

While seemingly too much work for how few hands we have in the code these days, I then realized that much of what we need to do this already exists in our client/server architecture put in place for HSTouch.

So, I am going to visit that at some point and think about making it happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath - we have a lot of other things going on. If somebody else wants this and they are of a programmer nature, contact me and perhaps we can collaborate and make it happen sooner.

There are a lot of remote control methods for iTunes today. If you do not need album art and potentially no access to playlists, then it is even easier, and you could integrate one of these solutions into HomeSeer. For instance, there is an article at engadget.com on how to set up a web browser control for iTunes, and if it is web browser based, then HomeSeer's GetURL script command can be used to run it.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I'm happy to wait - I know there's a lot going on just at the moment.

Having a HST authored/supported plugin would seem to be the best option as now it so tightly integrates with HSTouch.

Apple obviously do have API features above their previously released info as they have a realtime iTouch/iPhone application that can control multiple iTunes instances, for multizone. This displays artwork as well. Whether or not they have publicly updated the API docs to allow others similar access of course is another matter ...

K

Comment

No, they do not have an API feature for this - they just wrote a new application ("Remote" - catchy name...) and I suspect it uses their same old COM interface, with its API published back in 2004. We use that in the iTunes plug-in and you can access album art and everything, but what I was saying is that some of the HTML interfaces out there probably do not go into that level of detail where they display album cover art or work with playlists. You can definitely do that with their old standby API. If they did extend the API, then they haven't updated their website since the 2004 API because I just checked their website the other day.
        Regards,

Comment

Even the article at engadget.com is missing the files needed to experiment.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Are there no plans to make the plugins for either iTunes or JRiver able to control remote instances ? I find that most surprising as it just makes automation sense to do it that way.... other controllers achieve it so it's very possible.
            http://www.delicioussuite.com/techno...te_itunes.html
            Last edited by lunkan; December 7, 2008, 11:20 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by lunkan View Post
              There must be a way to control iTunes from a remote computer:
              http://www.delicioussuite.com/techno...te_itunes.html
              This is apple code. We need windows code.

Comment

Why not just run a vbs or js file remotely?

For example, a vbs such as:
                Set iTunes = CreateObject("iTunes.Application")
                iTunes.Play()

will play iTunes.

Comment

Originally posted by mycrobyte View Post
                  Why not just run a vbs or js file remotely?

For example, a vbs such as:
                  Set iTunes = CreateObject("iTunes.Application")
                  iTunes.Play()

will play iTunes.
                  That should work just fine. It's just not as integrate into HS as it currently is and the callback to stop the playing while HS speaks is also a really nice option.

Comment

It's not as easy as you think - security now makes it nearly impossible to do DCOM (Distributed COM) like your example - that iTunes.Application has to be configured to be on a remote system for that to work. If that was easy to do, then you could already use the existing iTunes plug-in driving iTunes on a remote system. You would install iTunes, then configure the COM settings for iTunes.Application to go to a remote system where you also have iTunes installed, and then providing you have your Microsoft user accounts set up properly, it will work... Whew - makes me choke just thinking about the hassles that crap used to be!

Anywho, if you did the script solution you would not have access to album cover art while the songs are playing and a few other goodies. If you can live without those features, then there are already some remote command products out there.
                    Regards,

Comment

Second that emotion

Didn't know if there is strength in numbers, but I have my whole house audio pc on a different machine than my homeseer pc. Not to offload, but because audio is in a different location of the home from security system etc.

I am a developer (C#, VB) with some direction I could help with the HS Touch integration. Worth my time to get that working so I don't have to jump out of HST to control my home audio.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X