X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rupp
    replied
    There's a KB article here that shows how to have your pc startup and launch HS without the need to run as a service and thus solves this issue.
    See Autostarting HomeSeer.
    http://helpdesk.homeseer.com/kb.cgi?cat&query=HomeSeer General&lang=en

Leave a comment:

• gueorgui
    replied
    Not really, it is just to disappear the application windows that i have right now. I believe that there is not reason to do it at all. Or is there an advantage?

I just put a shortcut to Homeseer App in the Startup folder of my user and it is starting automatically if there is a power fail. That was one of my reasons.

Regards!

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Is there a reason you need to run HS as a service?

Leave a comment:

• gueorgui
    replied

Leave a comment:

• zebrafilm
    replied
    Rupp, thansk for taking the time to help me with this quest :-)

But there is progress!

First some answers:
    yes I run under Admin, on WinXP SP3 (as mentioned in my first post) but your remarks about not running as a service was a good one.
    I disabled it and the iTunes plugin started working.

Of course I want to keep running as a service, but there is a lead in a new direction.

Bastiaan

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    First off you should never attempt to install any plugins nor attempt to run HomeSeer if you are not an administrator. Your login for your HomeSeer server should be an admin account. You should also ensure you are not running HomeSeer as a service when installing plugins. Secondly if you are running HomeSeer on a Vista OS, then you should disable UAC. Lastly, the only iTunes plugin that works as expected is the beta version available in the HSTouch forum. If it were me I would uninstall iTunes, the GAC installers, then HomeSeer. Then reinstall the latest release version of HomeSeer available from http://www.homeseer.com/downloads then get it up and running. Then install the iTunes plugin and get it up and running.

Leave a comment:

• zebrafilm
    replied
    Just some observations:

I noticed in my program list two installs that seem related with the iTunes plugin: GACinstall 2.1.12 and 4.4.0.3

What are they doing and do I need both?

THen I check the updater and tried the beta of the iTunes plugin. It installed OK in HS but I noticed that it never installed in the CP-programs.
    so the MSI file in the updater ran but the setup never finished.

I started this HS with the plugin installed using the updater. Later I used the MSI file that is always mentioned on the HStouch board. And manually installed it.

It seems they run under different owner settings. When I tried to install, it said that the system was already busy installing this file. (I guess the one that never made it. It then allowed me as Admin user, en after killing the other installs in the taskmanager, to install the MSI again.
    Somehow it is a mess, things don't finish the setup, or setup and don't get the right connections.

What files should I remove, on disk aswell as in the program installer to make sure I get clean.

THen what is the preferred method of installing. Using the updater or the MSI, (which version number is exactly in between the two plugins in the updater)

Leave a comment:

• zebrafilm
    replied
    Just re-installed itunes 8, when I restart the plugin I can see the itunes.exe being started but never reaches the GUI.

I disable the virus scanner for security and will try to find the debug option.

Does it need Bonjour? How are the calls implemented?

To be continued....

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Do you have another PC to load iTunes and HS on to test with? I've got this running on 4 different PC's and they all work just fine just as a point of reference. There's not a lot of debug information other than what is listed but you could try setting the DebugMode and see what is shown. Look up DebugMode in the HS help files for more information on this.

Leave a comment:

• zebrafilm
    replied
    Thats a nice conclusion :-)

But the program works normal, starts normal etc. Only HS seem not able to communicate with it.

I will once again de-instal everything and wipe all directories, then install version 8 again.

But this has been done numerous times and I just want it to work.

What/where else could I look for clues. Are there logs, debug options?

THanks for the help.

Bastiaan

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    If iTunes isn't starting and showing when HS starts then this indicates a problem with iTunes. You should see iTunes startup on your screen.

Leave a comment:

• zebrafilm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Does iTunes start when HomeSeer starts? Is there a popup asking you to upgrade poping up?

Leave a comment:

• zebrafilm
    replied
    OK found a version of iTunes 7 on the net and installed it to see if it would make a difference but it did not.
    Still get: Error loading Library, Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I give up, going to open a ticket on this.

Leave a comment:

• zebrafilm
    replied
    I havent been able to get the iTunes plugin to work reliable.

For a while it worked, then after a restart of HS all the problems were back.
    Since I do a lot of beta testing I need frequent restarts and it would be soooo nice if the iTunes plugin would keep working...

Versions: HS2 latest beta .39
    HStouch beta .30
    plugin versions: Tried them all from the updater, beta from updater, now I am (back) on the version that came with HStouch 2.4.0.22

Itunes v: 8.0.2
    I have run itunes.exe /regserver to make sure that was not the problem:

Restarting HS the log gives:

17-2-2009 15:35:27 Info Initializing Plug-in: iTunes17-2-2009 15:37:27 iTunes Error initializing iTunes, either iTunes is not installed or the iTunes application is hung waiting for a response to a dialog.17-2-2009 15:37:27 iTunes Loading library in the background, this could take a few minutes...17-2-2009 15:37:27 Info Finished initializing plug-in iTunes17-2-2009 15:37:27 Info Initializing X10 Plug-in: ACT TI103 On COM Port 417-2-2009 15:37:27 Info Initializing Plug-in: ACT TI10317-2-2009 15:37:27 iTunes Finished loading tracks library17-2-2009 15:37:27 iTunes Error loading Library, Object reference not set to an instance of an object.17-2-2009 15:37:27 iTunes Finished loading Playlists17-2-2009 15:37:27 Info TI103 Plug-in, Version 2.0.517-2-2009 15:37:28 Database Saving Device iTunes Volume17-2-2009 15:37:29 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Controls VR17-2-2009 15:37:29 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Controls VR17-2-2009 15:37:29 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Volume VR17-2-2009 15:37:29 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Volume VR17-2-2009 15:37:30 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Album VR17-2-2009 15:37:30 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Album VR17-2-2009 15:37:30 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Artist VR17-2-2009 15:37:30 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Artist VR17-2-2009 15:37:30 Database Saving Event iTunes iTunes Genre VR

I can see in the taskmanager that iTunes is started, but it does not open on the computer. I can start it manually and play music without a problem.

If I leave iTunes open during a restart, it does not complain about a 'hung' iTunes but the other error is usally there

Error loading Library, Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The machine is WinXP Sp3, plenty of memory and diskspace

Who has the magic trick to make it work?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X