Clear All

• nojstevens
    replied
    No, still waiting (patiently...)

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Elmstrom
    replied
    Can you invoke genius with the plug-in now? (its been some time since this post, so i guss it might have been added to the plug-in).

Leave a comment:

• nojstevens
    replied
    Hi Steve,

To invoke Genius, you press a button down by the bottom right of the iTunes window. It then makes a playlist called 'Genius' based on the song that was active when you clicked the button. I guess the only thing that would need implementing would be an 'Activate Genius' action. I would be able to do this in Applescript, but my knowledge of VB is non-existant - I guess I need to start learning now I'm a homeseer user!

Thanks for your reply

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Steve Q
    replied
    Jon, I have not used genius yet (no time to play) so I don't know exactly how the genius playlists are accessed. But if they appear as a playlist in iTunes then you should be able to call up that playlist via the iTunes plugin. I don't use the plugin because I have written many scripts that create and call my iTunes playlists. I will investigate further.

Steve Q

Leave a comment:

• nojstevens
    replied
    WHen you first activate Genius it takes about 20 minutes to catalogue all of your songs and get the reply from Apple. Once this is done, the Genius button references and XML file on the local machine, so the playlist is almost instant. The genius xml transfers to iPod and iPhone too so you can use the function on these devices. I find I use this almost exclusively now as my way to listen to music - its a great feature.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• TechHA
    replied
    Wow, now that sounds like a great addition to iTunes!

You have more songs than I do, I have over 8,000 songs. So my question is, How long does it take to make the playlist once you tell it to?

Leave a comment:

• nojstevens
    replied
    Genius

iTunes 8 introduced a feature called Genius which scans your music library, shares it with Apple, then builds a Genius Library xml file on your PC that contains information about which music in your library is 'similar' to each other. For example, if you are playing Elton John and you hit the Genius button, iTunes will create a playlist of music similar to that of Elton John's - including the type of song you were listening to - ie. if it were an Elton John slow ballad, then you would get a list of music on your PC that was similar to Elton John and similar to a slow ballad. I have over 35,000 songs so this feature is helping me to discover music I didn't know that I had. It is very good at finding similar music - I guess its a bit like Pandora.

An ideal setup for me would be to have a button on my Insteon Keypadlinc called Genius (or a voice activated command) that when pressed, created a Genius playlist from the current playing song in iTunes.

Details on genius here

h p://www.apple.com/itunes/whatsnew/

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    What is a "genius playlist"?

Leave a comment:

• nojstevens
    started a topic iTunes Plugin - Genius

iTunes Plugin - Genius

Hello,

I am new to HS2, migrating my home automation from Mac (Indigo) to HS2 on my Windows Home Server.

I have installed the Skype and iTunes plugin, and i am starting to get familiar with the way things work.

My question is, is it possible to invoke the 'Genius' function in iTunes either via a switch or via Skype IM, so that iTunes makes a genius playlist of the currently playing song?

Thanks

Jon
Working...
X