This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

playing from remote library

I did some searching on this and found threads regarding connecting directly to a remote library (that it's not supported). But haven't found anything on this:

iTunes itself supports connecting to a remote library - I can take the iTunes install on my homeseer server and have it connect to, and play, music from a remote iTunes library (such as the one on my wife's laptop).

Is there any way to pull that into Homeseer so that I can use Homeseer to play my wife's library, on my Homeseer machine, rather than only being able to play the local library?

Paul

If i remember that thread correctly it's not that you can't use a remote library, it's that you can't play on a player other than one that's installed on the HS server.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

How to?

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
      If i remember that thread correctly it's not that you can't use a remote library, it's that you can't play on a player other than one that's installed on the HS server.
      Ok, can anyone tell me how to do it? I have:

- itunes installed on remote computer, library is shared as "Jenn's Library"
      - itunes installed on Homeseer computer
      - itunes on Homeseer computer can see and play music from Jenn's Library from within itunes
      - When I open the itunes plugin from within Homeseer, I can only see my local playlists and songs (not the ones on Jenn's Library). I see no way to tell it to use a remote library.

What am I missing?

Many thanks!

Paul

Comment

I wish I could help you more but I use WMP and have done exactly as you outlined, shared the library and the WMP picks it up, there isn't anything to do from within the plugin.

I'm sure an Itunes user will jump in and help out.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

I use iTunes (but not the plugin). I think something has changed in iTunes because I can't get iTunes to create a playlist using songs on a shared library. I'm pretty sure I could do this in the past. I will keep trying.

Steve Q
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Paul, I am now able to play playlists from my shared iTunes library. You need to configure iTunes on on your Homeseer computer to share playlists. Go to Edit/preferences/sharing in iTunes.

Steve Q
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                Paul, I am now able to play playlists from my shared iTunes library. You need to configure iTunes on on your Homeseer computer to share playlists. Go to Edit/preferences/sharing in iTunes.

Steve Q
                Hmmm..... Just to be clear, do you mean that you're able to play playlists from a shared iTunes library that does not originate from your Homeseer computer? If so, then I'm not sure what I'm missing, but when I go to the sharing tab, all I get the option to do is to share my Homeseer's iTunes playlists with other computers (which I already do). That's not what I'm trying to do here. What I want to do is to be able to use Homeseer to play playlists that originate on other iTunes libraries.

For example - I have iTunes on my laptop, with it's own playlists, different than the ones on my Homeseer computer. From within iTunes on the Homeseer computer, I can see my laptop's library, and play playlists from my laptop, but play it through my Homeseer computer (which plays it out the home speaker system). I would like the Homeseer iTunes plugin to also be able to pick up on that library (which iTunes is picking up on) and let me access those playlists to play via the Homeseer computer.

That's what I don't seem to be able to do.

regards,

Paul

Comment

Paul, I think you can only share in one direction at a time. I am able to configure either computer as the file server. Just go to preferences and set one computer to share library and the other to "look for shared library".

I don't know how the iTunes plug-in works.

Steve Q
                  Last edited by Steve Q; April 5, 2009, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I wonder if anyone has tested the shared library with the new iTunes 9 that is supposed to allow up to 5 authorized computers on a network have a shared library... and how that might work with this plug-in...

Anyone? I know it's a new thing, but maybe some testing by folks in this thread might enlighten us all
                    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Working...
                    X