This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airtunes

Could scripting/event support be added to this plugin to control multiple Airtunes devices? It seems crazy that it cannot be done now. I have 2 Airport expresses and an apple Tv. Each control a separate zone. It would be nice to be able to enable/disable each zone from an event or script.

No plans for this I assume?

Comment

I'm not too familiar with Airtunes. My understanding is you can redirect the output from iTunes to stream to one of those devices, correct? Does Apple allow you to stream to multiple devices? We experimented with a multi-zone version of the plug-in early on. It requires multiple instances of Quicktime running for multi-zone support... got kind of kludgy so we didn't pursue it. Is that what you're looking for?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Unfortunately, Apple does not offer ON/Off control or speaker selection through their AirTunes API.

This has been a very requested feature of airtunes... so maybe it will happen one day... then other plug-ins and applications can take advantage of this feature.

Thanks,
        Dave

Comment

Some third party SW has added this support via reverse engineering.

http://www.alloysoft.com/screenshots.html

All I'm looking for is ON/OFF Controls for each airport. I have an airport in each room and I'd like to enable and disable then via script.

Comment

They have done this using scripted mouse clicks. This is NOT a suggested method for programming. There are a lot of things that can go wrong.

In reading the developers blog... you can also see that they struggled with the same issue:
            http://www.alloysoft.com/blog/2008/0...tunes/#more-43

Thanks,
            Dave

Comment

Oh really? That's no good. Makes sense now.

Comment

I believe the AE's may disassociate with iTunes if they lose power... but you could try.

Here is what I am thinking... If iTunes does not lose them when losing power... then plug the AE into an appliance module and use that for On/Off.

I think I have tried that once before and found that the AE would show up in iTunes but would not be selected as a speaker. (I suppose I should try again).

- Dave

Comment

I just had another thought...

What do you have plugged into your AE? If it is a standard powered speaker... maybe you could kill the power to the speaker.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas but I still want to be able to maintain control from the iPhone's remote application for iTunes. With that app, I can easily turn on/off each zone in my house. Loading a webpage to access homeseer to switch on a module or relay is just too kludgy. I wanted homeseer to add support to turn on/off airtunes zones so that it could be done based on motion or voice.

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                      I wanted homeseer to add support to turn on/off airtunes zones so that it could be done based on motion or voice.
                      Couldn't you do this with the modules and simply set up an event triggered via voice and or motion?
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

As I said, I still want to maintain control of the airtunes devices via the iphone app. I don't want to be forced into using voice/motion every time. Either way, it looks like there is no elegent solution. Perhaps I'll have to do something ugly like using girder

Comment

Working...
                        X