X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB Lighting Anyone using?

Hi
    Just wanted to know if anyone is using UPB and how the reliability factor is?
    How many units and how far away from panel... Also I assume you are using HAI Panel for control as well are you able to use the HS - HAI panel plugin to get data to HS okay or control UPB from HS.

Can you control UPB lighting on HAI from the HAI plugin?

Comment

3 components, 600+ ft for further run. Signal strength 70+ to 90+. Do not use HAI. Very happy with reliability, but only in service for about a month.

Comment

I'm using about 40 Simply Automated switches, 15 PCS keypads, and a few lamp and appliance modules. I'm using an HAI OmniPro II for automation, but haven't started using HS yet.

Reliability has been 100% so far. Max distance from PIM to switches is probably 60 ft. House is new construction, 5600 sq. ft., two elec. panels plus one generator panel.

Comment

I am not famililiar with Simply Automated switchees. Are they UPB Based?

Comment

Yes they are.
            Martin Custer

Comment

Thanks Martin,
              What is your opinion of UPB in comparrison with Zwave or X10?
              I have a big project and used alc to prewire but I have too many cat-5's...
              Would your simply Automated switches work with the HAI panels instead of me buying the HAI Switches? I would rather buy from you....

Comment

Take a look at this thread for some UPB discussion and comparisons

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=104923
                HS: 2.5.0.60
                Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
                Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
                Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
                Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
                Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
                UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
                Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Anogee,

You would be able to control UPB lighting as it would be just another lighting device type in the same unit address space as X10/ALC/Leviton/Compose. However, if there are specific values that mean specific things such as the values that mean "Scene D" in Compose, then the plug-in would not know about them until I look at the update to the protocol and get HAI to identify the value they use in the panel config to ID a UPB house code range. If they work fine using one of the existing settings of Standard X-10, Leviton, etc. then you will have no problem. I am certain that common states of On/Off will work fine, it is in the dimming and special features that might require some specific knowledge in the protocol.
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks Rick,

Comment

pp,

We sell both the Simply Automated switches and the HAI switches. As a matter of fact, the HAI switches are currently even a little cheaper than the SA ones. They also take up less space in the switch box!

For me, I don't think that there is really any comparison. I'd vote UPB any day. Not only is it more reliable but it also provides 2-way status and acknowledgement of status..... Very fast too.
                      Martin Custer

Comment

Working...
                      X