This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about using Switch Status for triggers

In my house, it was not quite wired correctly so I will have to use a real switch as a 3 way switch and try to use it's status to trigger the main switch. Does that make sense? I will have two switches, one will be connected to the light and the other will not do anything but give it's status. When the main switch is turned on, the light will turn on and trigger the other switch to do the same. When the main switch is turned off, the light will turn off and trigger the other switch to turn off. When the "slave" switch is turned on, it will trigger the main switch to turn on thus turning on the light. Oppisite for off.

My question is I know I can program this action within the HMS1100 controller using PC Access but I was wondering if Events can be triggered off the the status of a On-Q switch? I have been looking around and have yet to find out how.

Thanks,

If by On-Q switch you mean an ALC device, then yes that is possible. There is one type of lighting device that the plug-in will allow you to create devices for, and that is the ALC devices because they are hardwired. Once the devices are created, you can use the Device Value Trigger to cause other events to fire when they change.

If you do not want to create devices, you can still do this using the triggers provided by the OnQ plug-in. (You should anyway... Have to look at the code to make sure as I do not have an OnQ system at my disposal, but I did code lots of changes for ALC devices like this.)
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks! Yes, they are using ALC. I haven't set up any devices yet so maybe that is why I'm not seeing it. Just got it installed yesterday and I am using the plugin.

BTW, I didn't see the On-Q plugin and I bought the HAI plugin. I will call to see if I can get it switched... I found it last night.

Comment

Hmmm.... I'm still lost....

In Status, I have Add Device and when I go there, I get several choices but they all seem to he for X-10 (A-1, A-2). What do I need to use for ALC?

Next, If I look at the status page, I show all my thermostats and zones but I do not see the units. I have them setup on the name configuration page and they show up and I can control them from the HAI Units and Devices page but I do not see them when trying to use them in a condition.

Also, I am still installing switches daily and I have one that turns on, off then on real fast when I issue an on command from Homeseer. It doesn't do this with other control methods. Any ideas? It's not a biggie now because the other switches I have don't seem to do it.

Comment

Chris,

There are options to have the plug-in create devices to represent various aspects of what the plug-in manages. Normally, plug-in owned devices cannot be created by the user. There is a pretty extensive webhelp help system for the HAI/OnQ plug-ins that was updated when I added the capability to create devices for various things.

Keep in mind, you do not need devices - there are triggers and actions which can be used to create the event you want created, and that is a much cleaner solution. You should get the proper plug-in, and then look at the unit triggers and actions to set up the event you want to relay turn on a device when another is turned on.
          Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for the help! I switched to the On-Q plugin and disabled the HAI one and here is what I have now.

1. In the naming page where I name the devices, I no longer am able to name the thermostats. They are connected and I can view them through the OnQHVAC button but they are named the names that they are in the panel (used Get Names From Panel).

In the status page, it shows them as Thermostat 001, 002, 003 and 004. I have the settings for the devices to 4 thermostats. Any ideas on this?

2. I still do not see a way to use the On-Q unit status as a trigger. I see all sorts of things related such as using security status, thermostat status and many other things but I do not show any of the units available. I am looking at the Trigger page:

The units are there and working....

Thanks again for your help!!!

Comment

"If by On-Q switch you mean an ALC device, then yes that is possible. There is one type of lighting device that the plug-in will allow you to create devices for, and that is the ALC devices because they are hardwired. Once the devices are created, you can use the Device Value Trigger to cause other events to fire when they change."

What type of device do I configure it as? I can't see anywhere where I can create a ALC device or anything like that anywhere?????

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall and it seems to be fine now....

Comment

Working...
                X