This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB and HAI

I know that with X-10, it wasn't recommended that you use the HAI panel as a X-10 interface for HomeSeer. Does that hold true for UPB as well? In other words, should I plan on connecting a UPB interface to the panel and the HomeSeer PC, or can the panel interface also control UPB through the HAI interface?

The one thing I noticed was the UPB devices only show in the HAI plug-in page not in the Homeseer Status page.

You can create virtual devices and events that trigger the HAI UPB devices when the virtual devices are turned on or off. This is kind of a klug.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can provide a better way to handle UPB devices connected to the HAI panel.

John

Comment

Definitely do UPB through HomeSeer with the plug-in, as it was well written and would support a LOT more features than through the panel.

The reason I won't do X-10 (UPB) through the panel plug-in is that the realities of it on the HAI side is that it is quite poor. For example, if I dim an X-10 light by using the console, the status of the unit is updated, but there is NO system event generated, so the plug-in would not know about it until it gets around to the secondary polling for status, which could be anywhere from 12s to a minute later. If you turn a device On or Off from the console, it does generate a system event message. There is also no way to access X-10 addresses outside of the given range that the panel supports, and only the PRO series support all 256 codes. I have no idea whether any of this was improved with UPB or even later firmware updates, but these inconsistencies were by far enough for me to decide not to support the panel as an X-10 interface. You will be MUCH happier using direct HS support for X-10 and I presume for UPB as well.
      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

To clarify, I mean to say use the UPB plug-in for UPB devices, NOT the HAI plug-in.
        Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
        X