This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAI Plugin crashing with 438 Error

*sigh*... this upgrade has been painful. I've left this problem for now so I could do a clean install of HS 2.1 to see if it was an upgrade issue. Here is a full story of what I've done.

Ok... I upgraded to 2.1.104 over a 1.7 install that was running the older HAI plugin smoothly.

As soon as I upgraded to the latest HAI plugin (2.0.0.19), I would occassionally (usually at least twice a day) get a pop-up dialog box with the following message:

Run-time Error '438'. Object doesn't support this property or method.

At this point I get the windows 'DING' and HS loses all connection to my HAI panel until I restart HS.

When I first got this last week, I immediately uninstalled back to version 1.7 as HAI connectivity is key to the way I have MANY of my triggers work in HS. Unfortunately, upon reverting, it seemed that the old version of the HAI plugin did not revert and I continued to get this message while running HS 1.7 with the 2.0.0.19 version of the HAI plugin.

Luckily, at the time, I had a full backup copy of my original 1.7 version to try in another folder. This version, with the older HAI plugin, still worked fine without any crashes.

So I decided to brave the 2.1 upgrade path again as I really like many of its features. I reinstalled 2.1 back over the reverted 1.7. Still getting the errors, but moved on to ironing out other problems.

Unfortunately, the late night DING on the plug-in crash in my bedroom speakers at 3am put the wife over the edge so I figured I better solve this.

I then wiped out the HS 2.1 install completely via uninstall and then deleting the directory and did a bare-bones install a step at a time hoping it was the upgrade over the 1.7 version causing the problem.

I installed 2.1.104. Ran the updater which, oddly, put me down to version 2.1.102 but I figure there must be a reason for this. I then copied over my old mdb file in the new HS 2.1 directory so I had all my events and devices and then installed HAI plugin 2.0.0.19.

Same problem.

I'm running Win XP SP2 with 1gig of ram on a Pentium 4 2.4 ghz system.

This one is really mission critical for me....

Thanks!

Paul

Wazoo,

This should have gone to the helpdesk when you were first having problems. The message board is for finding out if others are having similar problems and/or for reporting issues with beta releases. We do not always monitor the message board as it is just too large.

That said, we have many people using the combination that you have been working with - I have no idea why this is happening for you. You did not mention which other plug-ins you are using - it could be a different plug-in taking down the HAI one, but without us getting some diagnostic dialog going we won't know.

I ran the '19 version of the plug-in without any problems in my home up until I posted the beta version for HomeSeer 2.1, but I have an original Omni Pro, and I know there are problems with the newer II series Omni panels from time to time. I do, however, feel that I have really made progress with the 2.1 compatible version of the plug-in - my only reason for not making it production is that I have not received a lick of feedback on it other than some people saying that the panel password code was not being unencrypted correctly, and so they had to do the workaround of putting the unencrypted passcode in the INI file so that the plug-in would re-encrypt it properly.

So, I would suggest going to the beta plug-in for 2.1 if you are using HomeSeer 2.1. The '19 version is a COM plug-in, and native .NET plug-ins are going to do much better than COM plug-ins in HomeSeer 2.x.

In the meantime, open a helpdesk ticket if you are still having problems with the 2.1 beta plug-in and HomeSeer 2.1.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker
      Wazoo,

This should have gone to the helpdesk when you were first having problems. The message board is for finding out if others are having similar problems and/or for reporting issues with beta releases. We do not always monitor the message board as it is just too large.

That said, we have many people using the combination that you have been working with - I have no idea why this is happening for you. You did not mention which other plug-ins you are using - it could be a different plug-in taking down the HAI one, but without us getting some diagnostic dialog going we won't know.

I ran the '19 version of the plug-in without any problems in my home up until I posted the beta version for HomeSeer 2.1, but I have an original Omni Pro, and I know there are problems with the newer II series Omni panels from time to time. I do, however, feel that I have really made progress with the 2.1 compatible version of the plug-in - my only reason for not making it production is that I have not received a lick of feedback on it other than some people saying that the panel password code was not being unencrypted correctly, and so they had to do the workaround of putting the unencrypted passcode in the INI file so that the plug-in would re-encrypt it properly.

So, I would suggest going to the beta plug-in for 2.1 if you are using HomeSeer 2.1. The '19 version is a COM plug-in, and native .NET plug-ins are going to do much better than COM plug-ins in HomeSeer 2.x.

In the meantime, open a helpdesk ticket if you are still having problems with the 2.1 beta plug-in and HomeSeer 2.1.
      Hey Rick,

I opened a help-desk ticket simultaneous to posting this.

Only other plugins are the Ocelot and the Media Player.

I'm running Debug LVL 4 to catch it when it crashes again.

Thanks!

Paul

Comment

Rick,

There is definetly something in the version 2 HAI plugins that is causing this problem. As mentioned, the version 2 plugins cause the same problem even with HS 1.7.

When I revert the plugin to version 1.0.0.66 and run it with HS 1.7, it runs rock-solid.

What is the next step here? I opened up a help-desk ticket but have heard nothing.

As of now, I am unable to run HS 2.1 which is a bit frustrating.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Paul,

Yes - entirely my fault. I have ignored my helpdesk tickets all of this week and part of last week. I had several new features I was putting into HomeSeer and really wanted to concentrate on them until I got them done, so I deliberately ignored the helpdesk - sorry! On the plus side, some good changes coming in HS....

I will hit the helpdesk hard this weekend or at the latest Monday (not sure what I have on the schedule for the weekend yet). In the meantime, please send me (in email) your hspi_HAI.ini file - I want to see if any of the settings might be causing the problem.

Thanks.
          Regards,

Comment

Rick,

I don't have your email address. Could you send it to me in a PM?

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Well, no - I can't. I don't have private messaging turned on, and you do not have the option to receive emails turned on! I already get over 60 pieces of SPAM every day, so no need to post it here either. If you enable receiving email via the message board, I can send it to you, or you can open a helpdesk ticket and attach the zipped up INI file when you open the ticket (you have to attach it when you open the ticket as the helpdesk does not work with attachments after the ticket is opened).
              Regards,

Comment

Hey Rick,

Sorry about that! My email and PM options are now activated.

As an update, I decided to do a complete wipe of Homeseer 2.1 and install just it and the latest production version of the HAI plugin just to get a baseline check of whether it was a script, event or device problem somewhere in my setup.

So after installing 2.1.104, I used the updater to get the HAI plugin installed and setup and then just let the new install run.

I got the 438 Error within two hours.

Again, as mentioned, I have zero problems with the 1.0.66 version of the HAI plugin... so something in the new version seems not to like my Omni II Pro.

As an aside, I have version 2.3 of the Omni II Pro Panel Software currently running on my panel should that be a potential area of investigation.

Thanks,

Paul Wasserman

Comment

Paul,

Check what you wrote - 2.3? The most recent firmware I have is 2.12a.
                  Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker
                    Paul,

Check what you wrote - 2.3? The most recent firmware I have is 2.12a.
                    2.3 is correct. I have not purchased any new firmware in a bit. Is it probable that this could be the problem? If so, I'll get a new firmware chip... although I forget where I got the upgrade from.

Paul

Edit - Just ordered one from Worthington Dist.....
                    Last edited by Wazoo; October 16, 2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Figured I would update my situation for anyone in the future who runs across this...

I installed the latested firmware (2.12b) for the HAI and the problem persisted.

With the holidays approaching I decided to table the issue and revert to HS 1.7.

Finally had time to tackle HS again and decided it was time for a hardware upgrade as well (system was about 5 years old) so built a new system (965P Intel MB with E6600 dual core and 2 gig ram running Win XP SP2).

I installed HS 2.2.0.11 and HAI 2.0.0.19.

All is great except for those checksum errors in the logs that others have reported.

So it was either solved by the new computer hardware or the new HS install.

Comment

Working...
                      X