This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Personally I decided that while I like to control the music media with HS I would prefer that HS not serve up the media, hence an autonomous dedicated box to serving up media and then to add to the mix small little network appliances which playback network streaming audio.
    That is sort of what I do. All of my MP3 files are on a separate server, and J River just accesses them over the network with all of the library being on the HomeSeer system. Then, the same library of MP3 files is referenced by iTunes running on a couple of other PCs for my family to use to sync their iPods with. That way, the storage is not on the HomeSeer system, and the CPU hogging iTunes does not run on the HomeSeer box.

With J River, I can actually listen to music and watch video served up by J River on my TiVO box too - that was pretty cool when I discovered that feature.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Will check out J River....still wandering relating to what to use....one box (MS 2003) has TVersity, Nero MediaHome and Squeezebox running on it.

Personal preference is listening to audio versus watching TV.

Quit using MS MCE connected to family room LCD and went to a small little 1TB do it all media streamer / server. Even converted Tivo stuff over to Divx for this little media box.

You could put these little boxes in every room in the house and have them stream video via your network or just play whats on them.

The Tivo(s) updated with web servers, media streaming etc but due to WAF still are not HD and untouchable for the present time...kind of frustrating...
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just an fyi...for the UPB lighting switches, I have multiswitch buttons for most of the rooms and as part of that I have a couple (master directly near the bed, guest bedroom) a couple of the buttons allocated for adjusting the thermostat. I hit the bottom left button the temperature drops 8 degrees, the bottom right up 8 degrees. The HAI monitors the upb link settings and adjusts the thermostat accordingly. No beeps. I can do alarm settings for other buttons if I wish etc. I like the HAI interface but those aren't in the bedrooms and since the light switches are everywhere its handy.

Comment

This reply is going to be alittle disjointed. The reason for the thermostat adjustments are two fold. First on the weekend sometimes I get up early and read the paper and want the temp. other times I want to sleep in and want it cool. The second reason is we have four fire places. If she wants one on it changes the thermostat drastically.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea...I am getting to start testing UPB. I currently do a couple of different set backs but its been a bit difficult. Currently the console in the MB is used. What happens though in addition to dropping and raising the temperature the fan in the bedroom gets turned on which makes it cooler in the room.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post

The plug-in exposes EVERYTHING in the thermostats (including filter reminders, runtime, when it actually "calls" for heat/cool, etc
              FYI: Firmware 3.x now reports when the thermostats are "calling" for heat/cool via the new "Notification Messages" system.
              When you use the Notification system and the firmware supports "Extended Object Status Reports" (basically if you are running Firmware 3.x) you get an event when the thermostat calls for heat/cool.
              So you know the instant the heating or cooling system is running.
              This was really, the only important thing that was missing in the thermostat API for the Omni. Filters you can manage yourself and you can now sort-of track run-time.
              The biggest issue was knowing when the heating/cooling system was actually running. This is now fixed.

Ross.

Comment

Great news Ross!

Ordered firmware V3.2D yesterday for a couple of OmniPro II's.

I put an electronic air cleaner in my furnace a couple of years ago. I run the filters for about a month then clean them in the dishwasher (even got WAF for that). I use two sets and keep a spare set. One set is charcoal (replace these about once every 6 months or so). I keep the fan on 24/7 so the run time is relative and it would help me decide a ideal time for swapping them out.

I am getting used to living with the "hot" & "cold" flashes and I believe they will pass (hopefully sooner than later)
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So if I upgrade to 3.2 then I should be able to move to the beta plugin since my thermostat interface was significantly lacking with 2.16? How do I know that this firmware is compatible with my panel (earlier post in this thread). What does the dll change that may or may not come done the pipe give me? faster event times? no more polling?

Comment

So if I upgrade to 3.2 then I should be able to move to the beta plugin since my thermostat interface was significantly lacking with 2.16?
                    No.
                    The most current HS HAI beta (a few years old now) would not improve anything for you today as its using the legacy communications protocol.
                    The new firmware supports old and new communications protocols.
                    BTW the new protocol was introduced with firmware version 2.16.

How do I know that this firmware is compatible with my panel (earlier post in this thread)?
                    It should be if you have an Omni Pro II.

What does the dll change that may or may not come done the pipe give me? faster event times? no more polling?
                    A change to utilizing the new DLL would introduce a new method of transport and communications to the panel lacking in the legacy (but still usable) protocol.

I will defer this question to Ross.

I posted the some definitions of the Omni Link and Omni Link II stuff then removed these but it would be better if you just did a quick historical search in this forum.
                    Concurrent with your search look at the evolution of the current standard plugin (from about 2003) and beta plugin.
                    Look at the threads related to introduction of the new communications protocol, what it supports, what improvements have been made so so forth.
                    Last edited by Pete; December 9, 2009, 10:27 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Personally I would take advantage of what utilizing the new protocol would do for me relating to:

1 - HAI thermostat and multiple HAI temperature/humidity sensor I have in place.
                      2 - more robust and speedier communications
                      3 - Today I use the motion sensors that are connected to my panel. I run a couple of security style applications related to these sensors. They are time sensitive. I've had to work around the speed of the current communications between the plugin and the panel to optimize the use of the HS based events.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Upgraded my firmware to 3.2D yesterday. All appears to be running fine with HS Pro. I also updated a second Omni Pro II to 3.2D. Next steps is testing PCAccess via a WAN link.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, where did you buy your firmware upgrade?

Thanks,
                          -Ron

Comment

Worthington Distribution
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I would get some comm errors with previous firmware. I am not seeing these with current firmware at this time.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,
                                Thanks for replying to my questions...I've got a few more
                                I'm still confused about what the advantage is of the firmware upgrade. The new protocol I thought came in 2.16 so without the HAI plugin to use the upgrade I don't think I'm going to see the speed (sensor to action reponse) change. I don't have comm issues now and so I don't see an advantage their either.

When I start running events (I have to restrict their timing because of the slow response) e.g. in the morning I have about three or four events (thermostat, humidity, motion) which translates to nearly 5-10 seconds delay..if this somehow helped this I would be thrilled.

Comment

Working...
                                X