This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAI Omni for Energy Managment

Has anyone installed an Omni/HS system and setup different ways to save on energy cost? I know the basic ideas: turn off lights, setback thermostats, etc. I'm looking for some more elaborate ideas perhaps using motion sensors. The installation will be in a 4100sqft home with 3 HVAC units each with an RC-80. I plan to have motion sensors in the various areas as well as an external temperature sensor.

Any good ideas out there?

It depends on what type of HVAC system you have. For instance, with heat pumps, you don't want to set back the temperature much unless you are going on an extended leave like a vacation. The reason is, setting the temperature back to normal when you get back will cause (if the temperature is more than a couple of degrees off) the emergency heat (usually electricity) to kick in, and that is bad. It also matters whether or not you have a fresh air exchanger in the system.

With heat pumps, if you are going to set the temp back (talking heat now) then you should try to notify the system of your pending return with enough time for it to raise the temperature setting one degree at a time. When the new temp is reached, it increases it again and so on until it gets to the desired setting - could take hours. In TX where you probably use A/C more than heat, it is electricity either way so no matter there.

I have the temperature set back a degree or two if the system is in Away mode for more than an hour. I have it set back to vacation settings when the HAI is armed in vacation mode. That is about it - adjusting the HVAC by motion USUALLY ends up costing you more money than you save as the system is designed to maintain a temperature more than it is to heat/cool rapidly.

Comment

I don't know about regular thermostats, but the programmable ones for the HAI system allow you to set how many degrees difference is needed before the emergency heat cuts in. I set mine to 10 degrees difference, so it hardly ever turns on. If you find you need the emergency heat, then you can just manually kick it in at the thermostat without reprogramming.

My system is described in my profile.
      My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Working...
      X