Omni Pro vs Gemini P9600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omni Pro vs Gemini P9600

What are the pros / cons of using Homeseer with HAI as opposed to the Napco Gemini P9600? I really haven't seriously considered tackling HVAC control, as I have three separate central heatpump/AC systems (providing three natural zones already).

The HAI system's ability to talk to their thermostats is one of the big differences though. You replace your current thermostats with HAI ones, and now (even with heat pump thermostats) you can automate them. Unfortunately, HAI makes more information available on the thermostats when they are connected to a serial port of the PC than to the panel, but HomeSeer supports that too so you could go with a Gemini panel but HAI thermostats.

Napco is security, HAI is Security and Automation. The HAI system does X-10 control of lights, but with much more intelligence than the Napco's capabilities for this. The HAI system is programmable in case you wanted to build subsystems that can withstand the HA computer being shut down. There are safety factors as well - with the HAI system talking to your thermostats, you can turn them off in the event of a fire so that circulating fans in the HVAC system are not fueling the fire. Although you can do this through a PC, it is one less piece to have in the middle.

I have no knowledge of what the capabilities of the keypads on the Napco system have for changing their display text, but with the HAI system, you can display messages on the keypads on command - e.g. "Remember to take out the garbage" when you come home on Thursday night and disarm the security system. I plan on making the HAI plug-in do this with a variable text message at some point - e.g. "You have 2 new voicemail messages."

If this is really a security add-on to your system, then go with Napco and save a few bucks - if you want a fancier solution with more features, albeit higher cost, then go with HAI.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I would like to use lcd touchpanels interfaced to Homeseer mounted on walls throughout the home instead of vanilla keypads. I assume I can do this? Perhaps we are wandering into territory of another forum?

Comment

Yes, there are others who are much more current on the Napco line than I am. If nobody on the board answers, call Worthington Distribution or Bass Home as they both sell the Napco systems. Robert Bass sort of specializes in them so he would know for sure.

When I had a Napco long ago, you could not change the text displayed on their keypads through the automation interface. Although I have not put it in there yet, I am going to provide a means by which the HAI messages can be modified by the plug-in, and those messages are strings that can be displayed on the consoles (keypads) in automation events.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
        HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

There are two touchscreens that can interface directly with the HAI panels. HAI just started shipping a touchscreen keypad, but it would not be usable for you as it is basically a replacement keypad. However, the CoreAccess (sp?) touchscreens will directly interface with the HAI systems, as well as HS. They are pricey though. Worthington distribution has more information on them.

My system is described in my profile.
          My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Working...
          X