Can I control a Security System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I control a Security System

I have a Security system that was installed about 12 years ago. At that time it was a Radio Shack panel and detectors. A couple years ago I had a Security company (guardian) start monitoring my system and to do that they changed the panel, but all detectors are original. How can I find out if my panel can be controlled by a homeseer plug in? and if so which one?

Thanks.

We would need to know the make and model of the security panel that you have. Many of them do not have any automation capabilities, and so controlling it is much more difficult. If you can look at the panel or call your security installer to find out the make and model of the panel, then one of us on the message board or perhaps a security installer or two that I know can tell us if there are any capabilities for a computer to control it.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Hi Rick,

I found out that my panel is a First Alert model 147. One of the keypads has some kind of radio receiver in it since it has a keyless remote to arm & disarm. I hope this info will help in determining wither my system can be automated or not.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

decker,

The First Alert website only describes their standalone devices for smoke/motion detection and no security systems. It is my pretty fair guess though that this system cannot be automated. I would either call First Alert and ask them directly if the system has a serial port for connection to a computer, or look on the security panel and see if you can see any connections labeled RS-232 or something like that. The prospects are not bright however! Sorry.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
        HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
        X