Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will HomeSeer talk with Omni II Pro via Ethernet with firmware 2.4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will HomeSeer talk with Omni II Pro via Ethernet with firmware 2.4?

Hello,

I have been a HAL2000 owner for the past year and am a bit frustrated with it so am exploring alternatives.

One of the big issues for me is connectivity between my Omni II Pro and my HA software.

Currently, under HAL2000, I have a kludge due to the physical distance between my HAL2000 PC and the Omni panel (seperated by one floor and a significant distance).

Since under HAL2000 I can only communicate with the HAL via a serial connection, I have a RealPort IP to RS-232 "converter" attached to my Omni II panel with drivers on the HAL2000 PC. Thus, when info is sent via the Comm port on the PC, it is translated to IP, sent over my home LAN, then decoded back into RS-232 at the panel. Works.... about 85% of the time.

I am quite excited to see that the Omni now has the Ethernet port active. In my perfect world, I would be able to use my LAN to communicate between my panel and my HA software.

Can I do this with HomeSeer? Is it on the horizon?

Thanks for helping me decide what to do...

Paul

Hello,

That is pretty much in HAI's hands at this point. I requested the firmware and the updated API documentation so I can see what has changed, but I have not received it yet. After I do I will be able to make the call. I don't anticipate any problems adding support for the Ethernet.

BTW... In HomeSeer with the HAI Plug-in, you can manipulate counters, execute buttons, know which button was pressed, track special conditions such as phone off-hook, trigger off of latching alarm value and analog loop value... And you could even take a snapshot of a console or thermostat and create custom web pages to control things. So there are many other reasons to make the move to HomeSeer!

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick Tinker (HomeSeer Tech):
      Hello,

That is pretty much in HAI's hands at this point. I requested the firmware and the updated API documentation so I can see what has changed, but I have not received it yet. After I do I will be able to make the call. I don't anticipate any problems adding support for the Ethernet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick,

As mentioned, I had sent off an email to HAI to request they get you the information. To my pleasant suprise, BOTH emails (one to tech support and one to the western regional sales manager) were answered promptly.

Here is the reply from tech support:

"I sent a reply to Rick Tinker. He now has the protocol and will have the firmware and DLL shortly. We have not heard from or had any conversations with HAL regarding this issue. We will be happy to provide them with the firmware, protocol, and DLL upon request."

And here is the reply from the sales manager:

"Hi Paul,

Thanks for the email and your continued support and loyalty to HAI products.

After digesting your email I felt it necessary to quiz the hierarchy of the company to get the best answer.

I work for the President of HAI and his input was positive. It seems as though the engineers are tweaking the “DLL” (software program which will make it easier for 3rd parties to integrate with HAI). This could take several weeks and I know they won’t release anything till it’s ready.

So, please be patient, and hopefully a solution will emerge soon."

Overall, I must say that responses like this, done in such a timely manner, make we glad I decided to go with an HAI solution and shall support them in the future.

Hope this all helped!

Paul

Comment

Don't get too excited about their fast response... The only reason I put up with some of the grief they give me is that they do have a good product, but the people are some of the nicest there are. I have known Jay (president of HAI) for years and he truly deserves his moniker of "Gentleman Jay".

The reason I say not to get too excited is this: I requested documentation on being able to retrieve the zones that are configured as FIRE or CO almost 6 months ago, and it was requested by the original author of the plug-in over a year ago. After getting clearance to actually GET the information by Jay himself back in January, I am still without the information because, they tell me, it is not written up in a suitable format. Heck, I reverse engineered most of it already - I can handle whatever they give me!

Anyway, the other thing is that what I received from HAI the other day was nothing more than a description of how the Ethernet communication works. It did not even give specific information on the calls that the plug-in will have to make into the DLL that they are still developing. The plethora of information on the type of encryption they use and how Ethernet packets work is great bathroom reading material, but it is of no interest to me as I intend to let the DLL take care of all of that. So they have not really given me anything useful yet, but I am sure they will.

As I said, I will look it over when I get it and will try to schedule adding it to the plug-in as soon as I can get some time to work on it.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
        HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Comment

6 months later... :-)

Does the plug in support Ethernet yet? Any luck getting what you needed?

Comment

No, it does not yet. I have had no luck/cooperation whatsoever in accomplishing this. I have suspended work on it while I do other things such as the WebCam plug-in.

Where it left off was that besides a bunch of Omni protocol information regarding reading configuration values that HAI said I could have in January but has yet to produce, I was told that a DLL would be sent that took care of the low-level network functions to support talking to the HAI system via Ethernet. I received the 2.4 firmware for the panel, but the DLL never came.

I will ping Scott at HAI, but if any of you happen to have inroads to them, please let them know. They are very "sales" driven and so unless I can tell them exactly how many new sales they will get as a result of the plug-in, they focus their efforts on other projects. I obviously can't promise any new panel sales due to the plug-in, so I have no leverage with them.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
            HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Comment

Thanks for your efforts Rick. I was waiting a little bit longer to see if I really wanted to use the HAI controllers for security and climate control but it was kinda hinging on the Ethernet connection... mostly because the location of the original security panel is about 200 ft from where my servers are and wasn't sure of I wanted to move my HS server into there. :-)

I have no influence at all but I don't mind sending an email... or two... or three :-)

Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
              X