X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAI OmniPro RC-80 Thermostat

I just aquired an HAI RC-80 Thermostat.
    I would like to interface it to HomeSeer, but if I understand I need an RS-485 to RS-232 converter ?

Where do I get one of these, and is it worth the expense or should I just get some other Thermostat that will work with HomeSeer.

Thank You in advance.

Phil

Phil,

The RC80 thermostats are not 485 - they are a modified RS232. If you go to the HAI website (homeauto.com) you can download the installer guide for this 'stat and it will tell you how to set it up on a serial port.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Rich
      WOW !!! Really I don't need an interface ?
      Thats exellent, also Exellent that I purchased the RC-80 for only $5 at a Yard Sale, and as far as I know its never been used.
      I'll gladly build the Serial connector for it..
      Thanks for the advise..
      Phil

Comment

Phil,

Get the installer guide for that thermostat from the HAI website I referenced in my previous post - I have RC100s, and although the differences are subtle, you will probably want copies of the Owner's manual and Installation manual for your thermostat yourself.

The installation manual should have the wiring diagram - it is a simple 4 pin connector on the thermostat.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
        HomeSeer Technologies
        Regards,

Comment

Rich,
          Gee's I looked over every document in HAI's website HAI And could not find the Pin-outs for the 4 wire serial connector on the RC-80 Thermostat.
          DO you or anyone else have the diagram.
          Or perhaps just tell me the pin-outs facing the board from the open back left to right are pins 1,2,3,4 .??

I did find it was 300 Baud, 8-bits, 1 stop bit Interface.

I'm guessing only 3 wires are needed.
          2- RX
          3- TX
          5- Gnd

SO I could guess if needed..

Any suggestions apperciated..

Phil

Comment

Oh forgot to mention, you have to be a registered HAI dealer to get the Installation guide for the RC-80 on their Website.

I did get the users guide (Not much Help).

Does anyone have the Omnistat RC-80 INstallation Guide ?

Would very much apperciate a copy..

Thanks,

Phil

Comment

Amazing what you can find on this Vast Database at HomeSeer.
              Here is what I was looking for right here on HomeSeer:

Serial cable for HAI Omnistat Thermostats

Comment

I just got a RC80, and followed your link for the wiring diagram.

Am I right in assuming that pins 1,6, and 4 ALL are connected to the yellow wire?

TIA

--------------
                -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

So I looked at my thermostats and HC system. I have two thermostats- with one heater and one AC unit and two dampers. The thermostats are 6 wire (B,G,O,R,W,Y)- so each thermostat controls a dampers as well as can call for heat or cool. The thermostat downstairs has a switch for hot/cool/off and fan off/auto/on. The on upstairs is just for the temp.

What do I need from the HAI line? I think I need two RC-90s but I am not 100%. Those seem to do the dampers (6 wire). Anybody with some experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                  Mike
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                  Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                  weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Contact HAI at (504) 736-9810 and ask for Scott in support, or probably anybody who can answer a pre-sales technical question on the thermostats. I say this because in the past, HAI has not only been able to recommend the correct replacement thermostat, but they will make sure it is the right one by taking down the make and model of your furnace/air conditioner to make sure the thermostat is the right one. They have some documents that provide basic "how to choose the right thermostat" rules, but a phone call should always get the right one every time.... At least if they still provide that service.

If not HAI (and they should) then contact a distributor of theirs and see if their technical people will take a WAG at it.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
                    HomeSeer Technologies

P.S. The president of HAI was/is the main thermostat engineer!
                    Regards,

Comment

OK, I wired up a 9 pin com cable to my RC-80.

I set up the RC-80 device in Homeseer, but I'm getting the following errors:

rc80 GetChar timeout: 58696 58704
                      rc80 GetChar timeout: 58704 58712

etc. etc.

And, when I try to access it via a right-click, I get the following error:

rc80.thm Filed to open COM port 5: Error returned is: Port already open

No, I've tried switching ports with my Ocelot which I know is working, and the Ocelot works on the other port, so it's not the com port.

Any ideas?

Rick, when is that tsat plugin coming out? Will that solve this problem?

--------------
                      -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

Yes, they should solve the problem. For now, check to make sure that you have the latest version of the thermostat scripts from the updater.

There was a change that was made to close the COM port, and I have no idea why the version I put in the updater did not have that or how it changed from what people were using, but alas I am just trying to keep everything working until these new plug-ins are done. I think I made the change that Wayne noted in the HAI scripts as well, so please see if you have the latest and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
                        HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Comment

I do indeed have the latest version as per the updater, and still getting the timeout errors.

I'll patiently wait for the plug-in...

Will there be a price for the plug-in?

When will it come out?

--------------
                          -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

The thermostat plug-ins will be free - they are just to replace the existing thermostat scripts and to provide some LONG desired features such as triggers and conditions.

I have not received an update from the person doing the Aprilaire plug-in in a while so I don't know about that one, but the RCS one has a framework in place for the X-10 stats. Given that I just pretty much completed the nightmarish WebCam plug-in, I may start working on the thermostat plug-in for the HAI stats myself next month.

I am hopeful that the plug-ins will start rolling in around late December, but no promises as there are several models to support and several people working on them.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
                            HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Comment

Thanks, Rick...

Does anyone know if there is an application that I can fire up to check the communication between the computer and the RC-80?

I'd rather not wait until December to find out that I have a bum RC-80....

--------------
                              -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

Working...
                              X