This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detecting pre-alarm period

I might have missed this, but how do I trigger on the time when the alarm is tripped (entry delay) before the alarm is disarmed? I see alarm states, and alarm conditions, but I want to trip on the entry delay period. The only way I see how to do this is test for every entry zone being "not ready" while the alarm is "away." There has to be an easier way.

Very few if any panels provide information on that state - prealarm warning. There is nothing in the protocol for the HAI system for sure, so the method you have devised is the best one going!

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

The way I do it, pretty simple, is to have the panel issue a X10 message when the door is opened and the alarm is armed. Actually my panel code is this:

When Utility Rm Door NOT RDY &IF AWAY UTILITY ROOM ON FOR 1 HOUR

I do this so when I open the door the overhead light in the laundry/utility room is turned on so we can disarm the panel and not be in the dark.

Of course, you can also capture this X10 code yourself, or just send a specific code (that doesn't control any lights) that says that someone opened a door while I was armed.

Then simply trigger HS on that code and away you go.

George

Comment

George, the way Anogee was doing it is better - he is using a REAL plug-in, not some girlie X-10 signal! (I am sure that will get me a fist in the arm when he catches up with me in Orlando in March...)

The way you are doing it George there is that 666ms X-10 transmission that occurs when the door is opened, and then HomeSeer reacts to that with an event. With the plug-in checking the status of the zone, then HomeSeer reacts in less than 500ms (worst case is 500ms), and that extra 166ms is valuable! (Besides also getting X-10 out of the equation).

Regards,

Rick Tinker
        HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Comment

I definitly agree with Rick, and I learned that through years of evolution.

My first panel years ago was a Ademco that could only "communicate" to the outside world using 8 X-10 codes. That gave way to a JDS Timecommander that could communicate to the world using 254 X-10 codes. I had codes sent when motion detectors when off, codes sent when doors opened, codes sent when I sat on my bed, and, amazingly enough, codes sent when I wanted to turn on a light. Problem was, I had more collisions than a rickshaw driver on Chinese New Year.

Life is better now, and dedicated wires carry signals for what I used to use X-10 for, and the system actually works 99.99% of the time. The moral of the story is don't use X-10 if you can absolutly avoid it, and buy all the HomeSeer plugins you can. Most are a really good value and well worth the price, especially the HAI plugin.

Comment

Rick,

A while back you said the HSTech wasn't going to make an appearance at EHExpo. Did that change, or is there another HA type exposition going on down there in March.

My system is described in my profile.
            My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Gee, I hope that they are going. I could really use a good punch in the arm!

Comment

We are not exhibiting at EHExpo, but Rich and I will spend some time in the booths of some of our distributors, and I have a class and two seminars to teach there.

For anybody who is going, one of the great minds from Zensys is doing a presentation on ZWave as well - look for it in the schedule!

Regards,

Rick Tinker
                HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                X