X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC80 control via X10/PowerLinc

Hello,
    I'm new at this stuff and I'd like to get control of an adjacent building's heating. The distance I'd have to run any wires is too great for RS232 (~100 ft) though I do get good X10 reception over there. I was thinking of controlling an HAI RC80 using a PowerLinc module, but reading here I gather that the RC80 either has to be hardwired to the PC's Comm port or to a Omni controller. Has anyone tried to use a PowerLinc with the RC80 -- is it possible?
    Thanks!

Sorry, that solution is not possible.

Your alternatives are: Get a line driver to extend the RS-232 (basically converts RS-232 to RS-422 or RS-485 since that supports a greater distance) or use an RCS TX16B thermostat as that is X-10 based. (Of course, RCS makes serial thermostats as well and they are RS-485 based by default, so they also sell RS-232 to RS-485 converters.)

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

There is an RS232 extender for HAI Thermostats. You might want to check with Worthington or someone like that for more information. I believe it's designed to handle multiple thermostat or thermostats with extended lengths.

Regards,

Gene

Comment

Working...
      X