This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC-100 Tstat not working Help!!!!

OK I have conneted my rc-100 tstat in the following way.

9-pin RS232 FM plug
    Pins:
    8-7 Jumpered together.
    1-6-4---Yellow Wire (1,6,4 Jumpered together)
    3----Green Wire
    2----Red Wire
    5----Black Wire

I am using the rc100 script. i have tried COM 1,2,3,4 all of wich i have tested on other devices and they work fine. I plan to use COM 4 as my Port of choice. as the other ports 1 through 3 are used by other HA devices.

The HS log shows

Timeout: numbers
    and
    Failed to open com port 4

The tstat is configured to address 1
    communications mode 0 which is 300 baud, RS232 MODE

Have i missed somthing is my cable connections correct?

Thanks

Andrew

After messing around with the plugs i found that I had miswired the DB9 pin plug. I had wired the pinouts for a M Plug not a FM. Silly me.

Well it now alows me to change temp settings fan mode etc from HS but the t-stat does not report back to HS in the device window or the t-stat control window.

I have the t-stat configured for address 1 and the mode to 0

What do i do...

Any help would be greatly apreciated..

Andrew

Comment

You didn't mention getting timeout errors in the log, but I had a LOT of trouble getting my rc-100 to work with the official script. Looks for details of the fixes I made in my postings at the bottom of http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&...13&f=508298074

I don't believe my changes have been put into the official scripts yet, but I heard that thermoststs will be a plug-in rather than a script "real soon now", so t'stats should work better soon.

Hope this helps

Comment

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne,

Come on now, did I really say "real soon now"?

The HAI thermostats are behind RCS and Aprilaire, but there are people working on those. I want to have the new plug-ins ready to go by the end of the year, but I can't make any promises - going to do the best I can though because I have two RC-100s I want working in a plug-in!

Regards,

Rick Tinker
        HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Rick,

On Sept 2nd you stated that thermostat support was changing from script to plug-in. That was in a thread called "When is the next HS update?" (see link below). On Sept 20th, Karen stated that 1.7 should be released by Dec 31 (see second link). Was I wrong in assuming that thermostat support would be a plug-in by Dec 31 (60 days from now)?

If the conversion is not going to be soon, can we please get some support and documentation for the existing thermostat scripts? I pointed out some fatal (IMHO) flaws in the RC-100 script on July 26th after spending much time reverse engineering. As far as I know, my solutions have not been added to the official scripts. There are still unresolved issues when the script gets activated twice and there are serial port conflicts.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...414#2986076414

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...4&m=5316075134

Comment

Wayne,

Plug-in releases are not necessarily tied to HomeSeer releases, so no the thermostat plug-ins are not tied to the 1.7 release.

I have heard both sides of the store w/r/t the thermostat scripts - some say they work fine, some don't. It seems most of the problems are with the HAI RC-100 script and YES I did put your workaround in there. Install the latest (copy your current one first) and check it out. Let me know if I missed anything.

The COMM problems being so intermittent I am more likely to blame something else. For instance, OpenCOMPortEx can actually use a COM port resource that a regular OpenCOMPort command could use.

And THEN there are the configuration issues of the thermostats - not user friendly are these puppies... You have to program the thermostat for serial mode, not Omni mode, the correct baud rate, and the correct address. A mistake in any one of those and you will get COMM issues.

To ultimately answer your question, we can give "best effort" support for the thermostat scripts to help us limp along until the new ones are done, but the only documentation that exists is already in the help file (in case you did not look there) and anything else explaining how they work today would be a waste of resources given that we will totally abandon them when the plug-ins are done.

For a very long time there were half a dozen different versions of some of the thermostat scripts and so nobody really used the "stock" HomeSeer ones. It was probably back at this point that we began to lose touch with what was going on and support of the script based system became an unwieldy support nightmare. So it is also for support reasons you see that we are moving to plug-in based thermostat support - the scripts are way too difficult to support given all of the different flavors running around out there.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
            HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I have the oficial script and have checked that the modifications are in it and they are...

I have programed the t-stat for the correct communications. it works half the time. Logs show timeouts and com errors. in fact it works so unreliably that i am about to pull the t-stats and e-bay them. or purchase an omni pro and have it control the stats. I purchased the rc-100 t-stats based on information i received from the HS= board. I feel that the product should not be stated as a supported device if the currect version of the software and scripts don't work.

Do not meen to rant and rave but i have spent a long time with a serial break out box. and protocol analizer. and the problem comes from the PC not the t-stat. The problem i am not able to figure out the scripting language sufficintly to make the changes to fix it.

Comment

I Emailed you a script I use. It's called RC80 Multistat.thm. I have never been able to get the official scripts to work to my satisfaction. You will have to set the COM Port. I also sent the Tstat the outside temp. when I set the clock. You might to have to comment this out.

Good Luck.. Gene

Comment

I still get a few timeouts but so far i am able to control the device better.

Will let you know when i have spent some time on it Thanks

Andrew

Comment

Andrew, I am getting the same issues with my RC-80.

Gene, could you send me a copy of that also? I have tried numerous different iterations of the rc-80.thm and none of them work. I'm getting the timeouts and port already open errors.

--------------
                    -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

Andrew, in my application the timeout come when I change the setpoint twice a day. They don't seem to show up with just polling and time changes. A.J. it's on the way.

Gene

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Gene...

Well, at least it's a little different. With this version, I do not get any Port Already Open errors, but I am still getting the timeout errors.

Do those numbers after timeout: mean anything?

--------------
                        -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

Numbers are an indicator of the amount of time the program waited. It is just an index first one is when it when into the routine and the second is when it came out. I believe the timeout in that script is set for 20 seconds.

Gene

Comment

Gene, could I get a copy of your script also? Thanks.

A.J., did you get that PCStat utility?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Wittenberg:
                              A.J., did you get that PCStat utility?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                              No, that's the first I'm hearing of it. What does it do?

--------------
                              -=A.J. Griglak

Comment

Working...
                              X