This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC80 Thermostat Wiring Revisited!

It is really depressing when I can't get 40 year old technology working! I have read all of the posts on the RC80 wiring, I have downloaded all the programs to help troubleshoot, and nothing connects to the thermostat. From Homeseer I get the "RC80 GetChar timeout". From pcstat I get "OFF-LINE". I have tried swapping the RX & TX signals and I've rung out each pin from the computer connector. I know my serial port is good and have tried swapping ports that are known working. I have checked the Thermostat configuration and have: "Address" at 1, "Communications Mode" at 0.

One confusion point is that the numbering of the pins for the DB9 varies from diagrams I find on the web and the connector embossed numbers. If you look at the female end of the DB9, as if you were the computer male connector, some diagrams put pin one as the upper left most pin (this is also the longest side of the connector with 5 pins total). By contrast my connector embosses pin one as the upper right most pin.

I tried checking voltage levels to see if that gave any clue. It looked to me like GND to RX or TX was about 10VDC. I have two RC80s so I don't think it is a bad unit, but it is the new style with blue backlight.

Thanks,
    Daniel
Working...
X