X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to buy?

By the way, I live in the US.

I working on an automated home and need to know what components I will need to bring it all together.

Here is what I am doing.

One room where all home run wires terminate into a 24” OnQ panel.

This room (OnQ room) will have a computer running both Homeseer and Beyond TV 3 (or XP media center).

The internet phone service and cable / satellite service will enter the OnQ room.

I have all of the security wires (windows, motion sensors and door sensors) all coming to the OnQ room.

There are at least 9 telephone plugs throughout the house.

There will be 7 additional computers networked (this does not count the main one in the OnQ room).

There will be 3 security cameras (wired with Cat5 and coax)

I believe there will be approx. 60+ windows and doors that I would like as separate zones.

Whole house sound system which will play in 5 rooms (I want to be able to play the music from the OnQ room computer to the rest of the house, but control it from any computer, which is where Beyond TV 3 comes in).

Computer controlled thermostat, and computer controlled sprinkler system (looks like Hai Omni Pro with an expansion would be the best?).

I plan on using a Linksys wireless router as a firewall, and to give wireless ability (just for the few times I need to be wireless)

I plan on using the Omni II Pro as a security point which allows me to see status over the internet with Homeseer (Home Automation software).

Can you help me with the things I need to buy?

How hard will it be to put it all together for a first timer?????? (is it straight forward?)

What do I need to buy?

Thank you very much
    (I have an OnQ panel with structured wiring coming all to one room and the alarm sesers coming in that room also.)

AND... i have only one outlet...can a power strip work with everything? Will I need a speacila one?

Lots of big questions. Thanks for the help. Ireally would appreciate the advice from those who have been here!

jbc

Pressed for time at the moment, so will leave most of the questions until later/for someone else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> AND... i have only one outlet...can a power strip work with everything? Will I need a speacila one? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem. W-A-Y too many things to shove onto a power strip. Get some addition receptacles put in. If possible, a dedicated circuit would be best. You didn't say what technology (if any) you plan to use for lighting control, but the UPS you should be hooking the computer(s) into usually doesn't play nice with PLC controls. Plug the CM11 from Homeseer and the PSC05 from the HAI into the existing outlet, and plug everything else into the new circuit.

More when I have time.

PS RE: HAI or OnQ from the general HS forum. Based on the 24" OnQ can, you won't have room for an HMS panel in there. Either get a larger size panel, or just use the HAI product instead.
    My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Okay. Let's take a crack at this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I believe there will be approx. 60+ windows and doors that I would like as separate zones. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is one of the great debates in the security industry. Do you run one zone per window (lots of wire running and terminating, requires extra zones on panel, easy to debug and very granular), or run multiple windows per zone (less wire to run, fewer zones, harder to debug when something goes wrong). The OPII can handle 48 zones in the main can, so you will need at least on expansion enclosure to handle 60 zones. The enclosures are not cheap. Don't forget the other things you will need zones for, i.e. smoke detectors, gas detectors, water detectors, driveway sensors, motions detectors, etc. I personally wire all the windows in a room to a single zone, but I still have used 80 zones in a ~4k sq ft house.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Computer controlled thermostat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
      Can't beat the OPII and Omnistat combo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> computer controlled sprinkler system <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
      Think long and hard about this. This is another one of the great debates. If you haven't already, join the HAI mailing list here. Take a look through the archives for some of the threads on sprinkler system hookups. I have mine hooked to my OP, but if I had to do it over again, I would use some of the WGL Designs controllers. I use these for my customers who need irrigation automation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I plan on using a Linksys wireless router as a firewall <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
      Depending on the technology type and location, you may have problems with range. OnQ makes a nice looking access point, but I haven't actually used/installed one yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How hard will it be to put it all together for a first timer?????? (is it straight forward?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on your level of knowledge. I wouldn't try it if you had trouble graduating from high school, but it's also not rocket science.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What do I need to buy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
      Start putting a list together, then post it and we'll take turns throwing stones.

Comment

Thanks JLehnert

I didn't see the new rain8net. I was told it was going to be available toward the end of July but was not holding my breath. I'll daisey chain 3+ together. Then I will be back (in about 4-5 months to get evapotranspiration rates to control watering needs ...tho this is way over my head for now (dont reply to this)).

As far as graduating from High school I did this (not sure I could do it again tho) and will try to hook up all the security stuff as well as the modules up myself.
        The house is all pre-wired and is now sheet rocked. Terminating the wires into the OP II i hope is pretty straight forward as I'm hoping the fire sesors will be universal (don't know which ones are going to be installed) so the OP II can read their status.

The power for all of this will be from two plugs (a single). Wish I had more added but spaced out on other problems in the home.
        I hope I can get a power strip with a filter or something that can give me more juice for my needs ...or I'll have to call in the electrician to open up the walls and add outlets if there is not a good workaround for this(yikes).

Here are some things I thought would work for my setup;
        - 2X16 Enhanced Video Module (OQ36452201) (is this what I should use for TV and security cameras to show up on all TV's?)
        - Telecom Module, 1x8 Enhanced
        - HAI OMNI PRO II ( I plan on using this just for security and controlling the temperature ... and all the lights through Homeseer (I will be adding Z-wave / Zigbee switches when the home is finished. And connecting those with the Z-Wave Computer Interface - USB)). Is this over kill?

Should I use something else? Why would I use Omni Pro II to control lights when I have Homeseer?

- Some kind of A-Bus like - OnQ A-BUS 4-Zone Distribution Hub
        - One computer that will in the Closet off of the garage that will be running Virus protection software, Homeseer, Home Phone, Windows XP Media center (or Beyond TV 3) and the Linksys EG008W Gigabit 8-Port for more firewall protection and the ability to pay for one broadband connection with all computers and TV's having access to the net. And a wireless access point later.

OK, are they good choices? I was going for the same module / component maker so they would fit into the 24" enclosure (I will have to put Omni pro II next to the computer and OnQ enclosure due to spacing contraints.

Fire away... does it look like a decent-good route to take?

jbc

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> hoping the fire sesors will be universal <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Unlikely. It sounds like you are not going to have access to the house until after it's completed (ie tract home), which brings up some problems. Most builders will install 120v smokes. These CANNOT be hooked directly to the Omni. Depending on the brand installed, you might be able to replace one of the detectors with another of the same brand that includes a relay. The Omni could be hooked to the relay, so at least it will know if the smokes have gone off. Also, make sure you know were both ends of the "prewire" are. If not, you are going to make an awful lot of holes in the drywall trying to find the wires. Many of the alarm companies doing "prewire" do it in such a way that only they can make use of the prewire.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Here are some things I thought would work for my setup <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Good start. Make a list of part numbers for everything, else you will be sure to miss something. (Heck, everyone misses something, but at least try to minimize it. ) For instance, the "Omni" will need batteries, contacts, wire, siren/horn, keypads, beanies, thermostats, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why would I use Omni Pro II to control lights when I have Homeseer?
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Purely a matter of design choice. I prefer to have systems that can stand-alone, then integrate them with Homeseer. That way, if one system dies, it doesn't take down everything else. It also depends on how you want the system to work, ie are the lights going to be controlled by motion detectors (oops. another item on the list above), or by switches? The answer can determine if you want the Omni involved with the lighting.

Comment

One more major item. Get a comprehensive surge protection system in place NOW. Whole house protection at the electrical panel, including telephone and cable, point protection at the crucial equipment points. Depending on your location in the country, lighting can be a BIG problem. I've lost 4 COM ports on the HA computers over the past few months. I just installed surge protectors on the RS232 lines, so hopefully this will stop.

PS As Rupp will say, it's very handy if you fill in the location in your profile, so everyone has an idea where you are from.

Comment

I have complete control of the house and it's design. My wife and I hired the builder by getting 4 builders to bid on it. Not a track home. I can do what I need ... it only costs money (of which I am running out).
              I wish I had gotten into this home automation earlier. I could be where I am now a year ago.

The pre-wire all ends in the utility room connected to the garage. So hooking the wires up should be just a trial and error. Not sure if a voltage meter would help determine what wires were attached to what (window, door, fire alarm ... and which ones?).

I can have the electrician put a surge protector (I hope, have not talked with him on this, thanks for the suggestion).

The fire sensor(s) wires and box(s) are allready in place. Can I use a detector that is not 120V without having to worry about the wiring? I didn't tell him any specifics ... the alarm company did the pre wire thinking they were going to do the install of the motion / fire sensors and a Power832. I want to tell him I will do it if I can easily install my own Omni Pro II.

-----------------------------
              For instance, the "Omni" will need batteries, contacts, wire, siren/horn, keypads, beanies, thermostats, etc.
              -------------------------------

Contacts? Beanies?
              Please explain.

jbc

Comment

Thanks for the addy. Living in VA, I don't know of any CA specific problems, but then it is CA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it only costs money (of which I am running out) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear you. Just don't follow my example. I got downsized 1 week after moving into my custom home.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So hooking the wires up should be just a trial and error. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot to add Motrin. You'll need it. For around $80, you can get a wire tracer (AKA toner) at Lowes/Home Depot. It allows you to hook a tone generator onto one end of the wire, and then just wave the receiver around the wires in the utility room to find the other end. Much quicker than the multitester

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the alarm company did the pre wire thinking .... a Power832 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. Then you should have what's known as "firewire" installed between the boxes. It's a red 18 gauge wire, hopefully with 4 conductors. If you use 4 conductor smoke detectors, then they are pretty much universal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Contacts? Beanies? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Magnetic contacts for the windows/doors. Beanies - crimp connectors. Saves you from soldering if you are time constrained. The pros (officially) all say to solder and tape/heat-shrink, but many/most actually use beanies.

Comment

Working...
                X