Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethernet Interface - Not buying without one.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethernet Interface - Not buying without one.

I need to add a security system, but want it to be tied in via TCP/IP. I am building a new system, and am doing everything (audio, panels, etc.) all over TCP/IP.

If this panel had a working Ethernet interface and plug-in, I would probably make use of it.

Otherwise, I am beginning to think I am going to have to put my own together.

Any thoughts?

Others have mentioned that the new ELK-M1 panel from Elk Products has a good ethernet port but of course there is no plugin for it yet.

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/elk-m1.htm

John

Comment

The OmniPro II has ethernet interface. But from what I gather, everything that can be done via TCP/IP can also be done on the serial port. What are you planning to do with it?

Comment

There is no difference in the the protocol in communicating with the HAI system via RS-232 or Ethernet.

HAI promised a DLL 16 months ago that would make it easy for connectivity partners like us to interface with the system. They have yet to deliver that DLL. It is within my capability to do this myself as I have the pieces, but at this point there are other development priorities that override considering the time that has been invested in this plug-in and the additional amount of time it would take to add in Ethernet support.

If HAI is the way you want to go, then there are I believe three choices available to you:
        1. If the panel is not located near the computer and it exceeds the nominal 100' range for RS-232, then you can buy an Ethernet serial adapter such as the Lantronix UDS-10 and place a remote serial port near the panel. I have made changes to the plug-in in the past to allow it to work with these devices.
        2. Contact HAI and ask them to produce the DLL they promised.
        3. Wait, a yet undetermined amount of time, for the current plug-in to be modified to support Ethernet communication.
        Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
        X