This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jvaldes,

I'm not sure what you are referring too? The SG people spoke out and we dedicated a developer to re-write the plugin and add new features. So it appears we listened? No? Did we miss something you are looking for?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Whitey's Thoughts Back

My ca. 1998 StarGate failed catastrophically last May after seven years of faithful operation. I am so concerned about the long term viability of this particular product and I am so loath to have to rewire hundreds of connections but so convinced of the value of SG, that I even bought a spare unit just in case. As for your comment regarding replacement of SG with an HS PC platform, I disagree. I have one dedicated PC with a Raid 1 Configuration to support HS. This PC, as well as SG and all sub-systems, is powered by an UPS. Should the power outage outlast the UPS batteries, critical systems, e.g., security and SG itself operate on dedicated battery power. Should the PC crash for whatever reason, SG continues to operate (so you can still open or close the drapes, motorized doors, etc.)<o></o>

With SG as the base interface to all the real-time stuff, I can grow with HomeSeer, e.g., I have added a Z-Wave Computer Interface (CI) and seven Z-Wave Modules and have also added a UPB CI and two Modules with several more modules scheduled to arrive Thursday. Even if full Z-Wave CI and UPB CI were possible with StarGate, which I doubt, it would be much more difficult. <o></o>

Further, compare web access to HomeSeer with web access to StarGate. In my view, the only advantage of the rather cumbersome WebEx access to SG is the ability to query analog or digital devices or clear/set relays. Even that can be done through HS. Even further, compare the ease of adding a new conditional event in HS versus the pain of modifying an SG schedule and downloading it. As for remote schedule downloads, I would not even consider because the download croaks with a fatal error about half the time (probably due to some esoteric aspect of my particular configuration). As for Windows versus MAC, much of what you say may be true, but third party support for Windows far exceeds that for the MAC or Linux (though I hope that changes in the future). As for your other options, I also disagree that those you mention can hope to compete with the power, flexibility, and growth potential of an HS-SG combination.<o></o>

<o></o>

Comment

response to Whitey

This my friend is the reason there are many colors. So we each can have a favorite that is different to call our own.

I don't think that is three cents so I have fallen short of the dime.

Juan
        Last edited by jvaldes; September 5, 2006, 09:51 PM. Reason: missing title

Comment

StarSeer is a Real Winner!

So many colors, eh? That is an interesting way to look at it. I stand by my guns just as surely as you stand by yours. My wholehearted support of HS and its management team is all too obvious. Meanwhile, I continue to test all new features and bug fixes to the best of my ability. I send periodic reports to HS for evaluation and, where appropriate, action. I do this because I want a stable baseline which will satisfy the current SG community and from which HS can move forward as directed by their marketing people.

Nonetheless, only time will tell whose point of view carries more weight with the User community. If I had sufficient cash, I'd make both HS & JDS an "offer they could not afford to refuse" (if you catch my drift). Cheers, Whitey

Comment

Security devices, first device is missing

Mark S. : Do you still have #1security device missing ? Are you using McsMovement ?
            Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

Reply to RJH

Originally posted by rjh
              jvaldes,

I'm not sure what you are referring too? The SG people spoke out and we dedicated a developer to re-write the plugin and add new features. So it appears we listened? No? Did we miss something you are looking for?

I believe you did a great job on the plugin, you have listened to the users and have executed flawlessly. I and all the other users of HS-SG are greatful for your efforts. My commentary to Whitey has nothing to do with your efforts and everything to do with my perpective on HS' opportunity in supporting the SG plugin. I apologize if you felt, from reading my commentary, that there was any indication of dissatisfaction with you or HS' role, because there isn't any dissatisfaction.

The truth is you have been an angel to those of us who have been waiting for this support.

Juan

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
                Mark S. : Do you still have #1security device missing ? Are you using McsMovement ?
                Correct, #1 is missing from my security devices. I am not using MCSMovement. My plugins are AB8SS, Media Player, Hauppauge, MainLobby, and JDS.

Mark
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S.
                  Correct, #1 is missing from my security devices. I am not using MCSMovement. My plugins are AB8SS, Media Player, Hauppauge, MainLobby, and JDS.

Mark
                  I just checked and all of my existing security devices/zones did import correctly.
                  I am usng the following plugins:
                  DooMotion
                  WAFNetCallerID
                  WAF AB8SSS
                  JDS + JDS IR Expander
                  AC RF Processor

Have you tried to do a re-import of the security devices?

HTH
                  -Kevin

Comment

Agent J or anyone, have you been able to chase down this error I see in the log?:

9/2/2006 3:37:23 PM ~!~JDS StarGate~!~ERROR : Unknown phone event :: f31

This happens every time the phone rings.

Thank you...

-Kevin

Comment

Hi Guys-

On the security issue: Two things to try

1. Delete existing SG Devices in HS
                      2. Delete JDS.ini file in config folder
                      3. Re-Import

I will look into this more closely tomorrow, along with the phone event. I won't be able to check in here as often now, but we should have everything all squared away shortly.
                      -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

I do not want to delete the jds.ini, and have some other housecodes atrributed to my devices, now that I have changed all my scripts !
                        Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
                          I do not want to delete the jds.ini, and have some other housecodes atrributed to my devices, now that I have changed all my scripts !
                          Ditto. But I would do it if I knew that the re-import would assign the exact same housecodes. Does anyone know?

Mark
                          Mark

Comment

OK, I thought I would chime in. I use IVR board on my Stargate for lots of things that I have yet to find a duplicate for. Setting timers for kitchen via phones, caller ID announce over my whole house audio, voice mail, sending text message with caller ID to my cell phone, all with out the need for MICROSOFT.

Just my non crashing 10 cents.

Matt

Comment

IVR Daughter Board: End-of-Life

I agree with your statement that it is very useful. However, and it is indeed a shame, JDS has decided that the relatively small market does not warrant the investment necessary to design and manufacture a replacement. Further, the IVR embedded code uses a lot of (very limited) MPU resources. Hence, out goes IVR code in favor of new stuff. I don't know whether Jeff will fix and re-release Vrs 3.09.6 (as it did have some nice fixes but also had some bugs). If not, then you must stay with VRs 3.08.7 (or earlier) forever. Isn't the ever advancing world of technology fun? Regards

Comment

Well the main reason I am even on the board it find out what my alternatives are. I really hate the idea of depending on Microsoft for something reliable and virus free like my Stargate is.

Comment

Working...
                                X