X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt-

And to any other SG user who is considering HS-

As Matt is finding out, HS is not a quick drop-in solution for the loss of the SG IVR/Phone board - nor is it a replacement for your SG schedule. HS is a pretty different animal all together. Think of HS as an add-on to SG, not necessarily as a way to replace SG functions. That said, HS can replace many of the things that the IVR/Phone board could do, but not all (i.e., no intercom). If that's what you're looking for, you'll need HS, HSPhone, the Way2Call and the JDS plugin - yes, it adds up. As has been said many times on this forum - leave your SG system and schedule alone at first - just slowly add new functionality and replace old functionality via HS as you learn.

The main limitation of the SG/HS combination is the SG communication protocol. SG does not make all information available to the COM link. If it doesn't go down the COM link, then HS (or any other PC interface) doesn't know about it. One example of that is SG's RS-485 bus.

As for thermostats, you have two choices. 1) Leave them attached to SG as always, or 2) buy a separate HS plugin and attach them to the HS PC. If it already works attached to SG, then why mess with it? As you learn how SG and HS work together, you'll find ways for HS to control the thermostats attached to SG (via flags and/or variables).

Matt - as far as your on-board relays not working - turn on all the debugging, try the relays a few times and send the resulting logs to RJ. The relays are working for most of us - hopefully he can find out why it isn't working for you.

I have been successfully using HS 1.7 and the previous JDS plugin for years. Clearly we are in the midst of growing pains as a result of HS 2.0 and RJ's update of the plugin. HS takes a little getting used to, but once you get into it, I'm pretty sure you'll find it was worth the effort because of all the other things that HS can do for you.

Mark
    Mark

Comment

I sent the log this weekend, hopefully he can find what is wrong with my setup/system. I am wandering if it is stargate firmware related? Part of my IVR board still functions, so I have not upgraded to 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by KLS
        Matt - I'm pretty sure HS will not support thermostats through the SG plugin since they already have a plug in for those t-stats.
        Yea I know - more dough...
        Folks on the RCS Serial Thermostat Plug-in forum are saying that it is unreliable and most have written thair own scripts and pretty much stopped using the plug-in. Unless Matt wants to roll his own scripts I wouldn't point him to Homeseer for thermostat stuff.

Comment

Well I decided to blow out the Homeseer and delete everything in the registry relating to it. Made no difference. Still can't trip those relays.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdb
            Well I decided to blow out the Homeseer and delete everything in the registry relating to it. Made no difference. Still can't trip those relays.
            Hey Matt, I had the same problem but my on-board relays are indeed working. I don't remember which beta rev of the HS/SG plugin fixed them but I am running SG firmware version that is one rev up from the 3.08.7 version that is listed on the JDS web site if that is any help to you. Jeff from JDS posted a link to the 3.09.x firmware in the Yahoo JDS users forum about three weeks ago.
            Also, I do know that for some of the problems I had with the plugin, when I turned on all debug options then posted/sent the logs to RJ he fixed them quickly.

I hope this helps. I only have a minimal system: One RCS 36 (replaced by the 40 I think) T-stat and one LCD keypad on the RS-485 bus, five analog inputs, three relay outs and 9 digital inputs so all of my "stuff" is on the motherboard. I do know all of my I/O stuff is working just fine as are all of my Caddx alarm functions. I hope we can get this working for you and the others here. Especially your remote I/O that is not contained on the motherboard. I am pretty sure that IF HS can get all the protocol/info need from HDS RJ will get this all working.

-Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KLS
              Hey Matt, I had the same problem but my on-board relays are indeed working. I don't remember which beta rev of the HS/SG plugin fixed them but I am running SG firmware version that is one rev up from the 3.08.7 version that is listed on the JDS web site if that is any help to you. Jeff from JDS posted a link to the 3.09.x firmware in the Yahoo JDS users forum about three weeks ago.
              Also, I do know that for some of the problems I had with the plugin, when I turned on all debug options then posted/sent the logs to RJ he fixed them quickly.

I hope this helps. I only have a minimal system: One RCS 36 (replaced by the 40 I think) T-stat and one LCD keypad on the RS-485 bus, five analog inputs, three relay outs and 9 digital inputs so all of my "stuff" is on the motherboard. I do know all of my I/O stuff is working just fine as are all of my Caddx alarm functions. I hope we can get this working for you and the others here. Especially your remote I/O that is not contained on the motherboard. I am pretty sure that IF HS can get all the protocol/info need from HDS RJ will get this all working.

-Kevin
              Yeah, I sent the debug to RJ and am waiting a response.

Comment

Well the more I dig the more I find. Can't seem to find flags or variables in HS? Am I missing something? I can create on in winevm/stargate and then create one in HS by importing, but shouldn't flags and variables be base part of HS? Seems everything has to be done using scripts.

Comment

DIs, Flags (<100), Variables (<100), Relays (<41)...

Well the more I dig the more I find. Can't seem to find flags or variables in HS? Am I missing something? I can create on in winevm/stargate and then create one in HS by importing, but shouldn't flags and variables be base part of HS? Seems everything has to be done using scripts.
                  ...are supported by SG Plugin dated 29AUG06. No data on ADCs, Timers, & IR. Have you tried that version (cf. one of my earlier posts for the Zip file)? If you have and have had trouble, perhaps you need to start with a clean slate, i.e., delete the jds.ini file in HomeSeer/Config, delete all the SG stuff in your HS data base, and reimport under SG Plugin SG29AUG06. Be sure you backup everything first - especially the LF file.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Cairndhu1
                    ...are supported by SG Plugin dated 29AUG06. No data on ADCs, Timers, & IR. Have you tried that version (cf. one of my earlier posts for the Zip file)? If you have and have had trouble, perhaps you need to start with a clean slate, i.e., delete the jds.ini file in HomeSeer/Config, delete all the SG stuff in your HS data base, and reimport under SG Plugin SG29AUG06. Be sure you backup everything first - especially the LF file.

Good Luck!
                    not what I am saying. Just seems bad that I have to create a flag or variable in stargate to use in HS. HS doesn't have them natively. I have deleted and wiped til I am raw....

Comment

Well I figured a way to do what I wanted to trip a relay based on IR input using flags and multiple events. Now the issue I am having is that sometimes the stargate will respond and other times it will not. I am setting a flag in stargate from HS to activate. The flag gets set some times and some times not. Any ideas?

Comment

Create all SG Stuff in SG - not HS

not what I am saying. Just seems bad that I have to create a flag or variable in stargate to use in HS. HS doesn't have them natively. I have deleted and wiped til I am raw....
                        You must create everything in SG and then import that stuff into HS. I tried (once) to add just a Flag in HS. I fouled up the data base and had to revert to a previously saved version. Actually, I screwed things up somehow to the point where I had to restore the entire partition from a Norton Ghost image. I Ghost the partition containing Homeseer at least every other day. This practice has saved my bacon several times as I learned the ropes.

Don't despair! The end result is worth the aggravation.

Comment

Wow you guys post fast!

I am in all day tomorrow to look at everything. So far, the issues to address are:
                          • Missing Config button
                          • Relays not being tripped
                          • Relays on external units
                          • Weird timer events
                          As to some new people who have just hopped on this thread, please remember that I am not the original author of this plugin. I have made several changes, but by no means have figured out all the code to this yet. Timers were a tricky issue before I took over, so there is probably still something that is going wrong here.

To users with timers: Is there any sequence of events in either Stargate or HomeSeer that could cause this to happen? If you can get something repoduceable, then I will do what I can to find out what is wrong here. Please remember the Stargate unit we have here at the lab is basic: no expanders, keypads, etc, and it can be tricky to ensure all components in a system this broad are functional.

To Matt and other new users: Hang in there! This plugin is still a work in progress (hence the BETA label!) We will get it working right, you can count on it!

Another topic: Thermostats. Right now, we do not plan to support the thermostats. This has not been my decision, and we are not going to work on this anytime soon. However, if 6 months down the road there is a bit of a lull in development, we may consider adding this in. But for now, PLEASE remember that this WILL NOT be added. (I really think I've said this a million times!)

On a lighter note, I will have another build tomorrow and hopefully a subsequent one either Friday or Saturday. If you have sent me a log, what I am really looking for is a "Scenario", i.e., I do this in Stargate, and HomeSeer does that wrong. Things like "This doesnt worK" don't really help much. If you have sent me something, I will look it over thoroughly tomorrow.
                          -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

@#$%*&^(%$#@#$

What about a working Plugin which supports Flags > 99? I have been a super supporter of your work "Agent J" (and have paid a bunch extra to HS besides to prove that I support HS' work on our Plugin! After all, business is business!). If I had not the ability to Ghost my HS Partitions before I try some of your fractured updates (try the one that cannot even intiialize Stargate), I would be up the proverbial #$%*^(&^*$&# creek! What we are getting is unacceptable in the extreme! Stop reacting! Slow Down! Think! Post bug-free updates to me if you want verification! Let me test them! I will do so quickly! I will post details to you privately. Get a life! Straighten up! You release Plugins (and Heaven Forbid, but you put that buggy crap in the Updater!) that go two steps forward and three steps back. To say that I am diaappointed and displeased is the understatement of this century! With disgust and extreme disappointment, I remain:

@#$%^&)*_()(^ "Whitey"!

Comment

Originally posted by Cairndhu1
                              ... I would be up the proverbial #$%*^(&^*$&# creek! What we are getting is unacceptable in the extreme! Stop reacting! Slow Down! Think! Post bug-free updates to me if you want verification! Let me test them! I will do so quickly! I will post details to you privately. Get a life! Straighten up! You release Plugins (and Heaven Forbid, but you put that buggy crap in the Updater!) that go two steps forward and three steps back. To say that I am diaappointed and displeased is the understatement of this century! With disgust and extreme disappointment, I remain:

@#$%^&)*_()(^ "Whitey"!
                              Whitey-

You've crossed the line. That is the most ridiculous rant I've ever seen on this board.

You've been screaming about how we all need to support RJ, then you let loose with this crap? Who the hell do you think you are? Who needs to get a life?

Moderator - please feel free to delete his post and mine.

Mark
                              Mark

Comment

Life is a Series of Trials

I stand by my analysis. The reasoning and events behind them are confidential. Try terminating a couple hundred people and adversely affecting the lives of hundreds more. Building a Company is fraught with peril. Truth may be unpleasant but it remains truth. Have a nice day!

Comment

Working...
                                X