X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better way to handle SG keypads?

Greetings all,

I've just installed the HS2 upgrade on a fresh system along with the SG plugin. I decided to re-set up everything from scratch instead of importing from my HS 1 system.

While I'm doing this, I'd like to re-think how I was handling my LCD keypad. I think this has been discussed before under HS 1, but I'd like to know if there's a better way now with HS 2.

Here's the deal:

If have a bunch of HS events that fire off winamp playlists with SeerAmp. I then use cheap X10 remote for selection (B1 ON = playlist X, B1 OFF = playlist Y).

When I first installed my LCD keypad I noticed that HS was not aware of X10 commands from the keypad. So, I ended up creating a bunch of flags in SG, that were redundant with the house codes I had defined in HS. Then I had a bunch of redundant code in HS that would detect the flag change, and fire off the right seeramp evetm.

Its been really messy.

Is there now a way that HS can be aware of an X10 command issued by a Keypad? With the new version, with HS 2 "sense" what is happening internall with SG X10 commands?

I hope that all makes sense.

Steve C.

I re-read my post and it barely made sense even to me. Let me try and re-state my question:

Let's say I create X10 devices in SG, and then import them into HS.

If I configure an LCD keypad to send "B1 ON" when a button is pressed, will HS see the status change of B1 and fire off an event triggered by B1 ON?

Thanks,

Steve C.

Comment

Steve,
      I can't speak directly to the LCD keypad, but I have other keypads that send X10 commands. HS sees them and responds without problem.

As an aside, if your objective is only to communicate to HS, I would opt to have the key press set a flag or variable and have HS respond to the flag or variable change. That way the sequence doesn't add X10 traffic to your power line and it will probably execute faster too.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Mike -

1) When you say other keypads do you mean SG LED keypads? (Because the same principle would apply) as opposed to Smarthome Keypadlinc X10 keypads?

2) The flag thing you suggested is what I'm doing now, but I also have to redundantly configure a bunch of X10 stuff so I can execute my events from either the keypad (via flags) or with an RF remote (via X10).

Steve C.

Comment

Hi Steve-

I hate to add to the confusion here, but let me see what I can add to help.

I have taken over the Stargate Plugin since Glenn Todd was unable to do so and upgraded it for version 2. As far as my knowledge of coms goes, If you send out a command from the Stargate, it should be sent to HomeSeer. Try creating an event with the trigger "Received X10," and see if you can trigger the event from the LCD keypad.
          -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

Steve,
            My keypads are Compose keypads that generate X10 commands. As I now understand your question, I'm guessing the LCD keypads do not generate an X10 command directly, but cause SG to generate the X10 signal and the question is, does HS see those X10 commands? Am I getting close?

I have two ways to emulate the situation. One is to use WinEVM to cause SG to trigger an X10 command. The other is that I have some commands that cause my SG schedule to trigger additional X10 actions. In either case, the resulting X10 command immediately appears in the SG log.

To further confuse the situation, I will also note that it is possible to receive the X10 remote RF signals directly into HS without actually generating a powerline X10 signal. You can then have HS set a flag (it could be the same flag as the keypad sets), then use the flag change to trigger events. Again, I use that approach to further reduce X10 traffic on my power line.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Steve-

I just did a quick test. I created a simple HS event to trigger based on X-10 Received (E1 on), hit the button on my LCD keypad to turn on E1 and the HS event worked. I thought that this didn't work before, but now it does! Maybe RJ messed it up?

Regarding your flags and redundant events - I suggest you try a variable and a script. One HS event, triggers on variable change greater than zero. The action is to run a script that has multiple commands depending on the variable value - if variable=1 then stop player, if variable=2 than play playlist 2, etc. This will avoid multiple events, but you need to write the script.

Mark
              Mark

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for doing the test. Its been pretty time consuming re-setting up everything in HS2 and I hadn't yet moved SG to my new box to test it myself.

I am certain that this didn't work before with HS1 and the old plugin. Good Job, RJ! This will eliminate 30+ flags in SG, and greatly simplify my HS config.

Nice tip on using a single variable instead of multiple flags, too. I can think of several areas where I could implement this.

Woo-hoo! I'm off to a leaner, meaner configuration....

Steve C.

Comment

Working...
                X