X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer and Stargate SG-IP interference

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but I have had a lot of experience with home automation and do not consider myself to be a beginner.

I have had my JDS Stargate SG-IP for about a year and have been very happy with it, but have determined that interfacing it to HomeSeer would very advantageous.
    Howerver, I ran into an interesting problem when trying to use HomeSeer and the JDS Stargate plug-in with my Stargate SG-IP.

I was able to install HomeSeer and the JDS Stargate plug-in on a newly built PC running Windows XP Pro. HomeSeer was able to communicate with the SG-IP through the plug-in and I was able to control the SG-IP much the same way that the JDS Mega Controller does.

I am running the JDS WebX and HomeRunner on my LAN connected PCs and Tablets for remote control of the Stargate and have found that trying to control the SG-IP through the WebX webpage and the HomeRunner application, caused the SG-IP to become very sluggish and eventually lockup so that I had to shutdown HomeSeer and reset the SG-IP.

I am beginning to think that HomeSeer and the JDS Stargate plugin is really ment to work with a Stagate Lite without the IP interface.

So I am wondering if there is a solution to this dilemma or will I have to remove the Stargate IP interface or just not use it if I want to pursue using HomeSeer and the Stargate together?
    Regards,
    TCIII

TCIII-

I responded to your post on JDSUsers. If you could answer the same questions here, it might help RJ or someone else in spotting something.

Mark
    Mark

Comment

Mark,

When I said HomeRunner I really meant HomeRunner. HomeRunner is JDS's expanded version of Pocket Webx.

I have the HomeSeer Com 1 serial port connected to the serial input on the WebXpander daughter card which then goes to the SG Com 1 serial input.

I only have HomeSeer polling the Analog values at this time.

The problem seemed to start when I used one of my tablet pcs running HomeRunner to access the SG-IP. Up until that time I had been using HomeSeer to communicate with the SG-IP. The SG really locked up when I attempted to communicate with the WebXpander webpage.

I am presently using the latest version of the SG firmware and WinEVM software. I also have the latest version of firmware (2.5 D) for the WebXpander.

Maybe it would be best to turn off any HomeSeer polling of the SG and use manual updates and events only.

Comments appreciated!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
      TCIII

Comment

Hi TCIII-

I am the "author" of the Stargate plugin, so let me see what I can add here.

The Stargate plugin is not designed to work simultaneously with WinEVM. I'm not sure if you are using WinEVM, but if you are, try disabling it. Also, instead of connecting from your pocket PC to the Web Expander, why not connect to the HomeSeer web page?
        -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the quick response.

No, I am not running WinEVM/Mega Controller while I have HomeSeer communicating on the SG Com 1 serial port.

However, I am also using HomeRunner and the WebX webpage that interface over my local LAN with the WebXpander daughter card on the SG-IP.

HomeSeer was communicating just fine with the SG until I tried to use the HomeRunner application running on one of my tablet pcs to try adjust one of the RCS thermostats on the SG RS-485 hub. I then tried to communicate with the WebXpander webpage which was incredibly slow in responding and then just locked up.

The serial Com 1 line from HomeSeer goes through the WebXpander daughter card and then to the Com 1 serial port on the SG so that the WebXpander daughter card can converse with the SG.

I suspect that the WebXpander and HomeSeer were both colliding on the serial line at the same time when I tried to access the SG through the WebXpander webpage. In a way, this would be like trying to run HomeSeer and the WinEVM/Mega Controller at the same time which, as we know, will not work well.

One solution would be to connect to the HomeSeer webpage as you have suggested and not use HomeRunner or the WebXpander webpage. The Touch Panel plug-in could substitute for the HomeRunner touch screen communication application and the HomeSeer webpage can substitue for the WebXpander webpage.

One thing you might want to consider for future releases of this plug-in, is to have it communicate with the SG thorugh the WebXpander LAN interface instead of the serial port. I believe that the same SG data is available on the WebXpander interface as on the serial interface.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Regards,
          TCIII

Comment

I'm running SG-1 rather than SG-IP, so my experience may not translate, but I have both WinEVM and HS connected to SG on com 1 simultaneously using Eltima software serial splitter. I have had no problems under normal use. I do find that when I upload a new schedule to SG it helps to shut HS down, but that is the only time I have encountered a conflict.

I place my analog readings into a SG variable, so they are communicated to HS automatically without the need for polling.

Could HS be conflicting with HomeRunner?
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Uncle Michael,

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
              <O

<O
              As I said in my previous post, I think that the sluggishness of the WebXpander LAN interface and the eventual lockup of the Stargate was due to the WebXpander and HomeSeer attempting to communicate simultaneously with the Stargate on the Com 1 serial port.

This is very similar to trying to run WinEVM and HomeSeer together on the same serial Com 1 port without using a software serial splitter. In the case of the WebXpander and HomeSeer, the Eltima software serial splitter is not a viable option.

Regards,
              TCIII <O

Comment

TCIII,
                Just to confirm, I do not have HS poll my variables (or anything else at this point). They are automatically updated by the plug-in once imported from SG. It is my understanding that only devices on the RS485 buss require polling by HS, but I simply let SG look after those. HS doesn't know they exist.

Because I don't have SG-IP or a Web Xpander I cannot comment on performance related to them. But, I think there is at least one post on the SG board from a user with the Web Xpander on a SG-1 who isn't seeing a conflict with HS.

I'm not sure why a serial splitter wouldn't be appropriate in your situation. I am not aware of any problem using WinEVM with the Web Xpander. My impression is that HS communication to SG uses the same protocol as WinEVM, but I may be all wet on that. You could also try to connect HS to SG using SG's com 3. If you have already, do you see similar behavior?
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Uncle Michael,

I believe that a software serial splitter is used where two applications on the same pc must share a common Com port. Like WinEVM and HS on the same pc using Com 1, right?

The WebXpander uses the SG Com 1 serial port to talk to the SG and provide an interface/webpage for the LAN. The serial line from the pc connects to the WebXpander which passes the line through to the SG Com 1 serial port. The pc and the WebXpander are essentially electrically in parallel on the SG serial Com port.

I presently have a Ge Caddx N8e on Com 3 and a TTS board on Com 2. My plan is to use HS to provide quality TTS in place of the basic TTS board connected to Com 2 and freeup Com 2. What I might be able to do is connect HS to the SG Com 2 port and save the SG Com 1 for WinEVM and the WebXpander. What do you think?

I also want to use HS to respond to X10 RF transmissions using the W800 receiver and pass that input to the SG. Additionally I plan to use the CheapRFID system with the HS to know when occupants in our home come and go. Plus a lot more! These are functions that SG really cannot do easily .

I will probably have to replace HomeRunner with ML (or the Touch Panel plug-in) and put the ML server on the pc where HS is located. I suspect that I can still use the WebXpander LAN interface for automatic time updates.

I will make a search for the other SG plug-in user that you mentioned and see if he can provide me with any additional information concerning the use of HS with the WebXpander LAN interface.

Regards,
                  TCIII
                  Last edited by ; January 14, 2007, 02:54 PM.

Comment

TCIII,

I will make a search for the other SG plug-in user that you mentioned and see if he can provide me with any additional information concerning the use of HS with the WebXpander LAN interface.
                    You can find the response to your question on the SG board here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/JDSUsers/message/772

What I might be able to do is connect HS to the SG Com 2 port and save the SG Com 1 for WinEVM and the WebXpander. What do you think?
                    I have not done it, but I believe others have. I believe that was Glenn's intention when he first wrote the plug-in for HS v1.

The pc and the WebXpander are essentially electrically in parallel on the SG serial Com port.
                    I'm not sure how the Web Xpander board handles serial communication from the computer. However, if WinEVM can communicate with SG through the Web Xpander, I would expect that HS could do the same.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for the additional input!

I have been reading the help files on the JDS plug-in and there are instructions for using HS with the SG Com 2 port that I plan to implement.

Since I am planning to use HS as the TTS voice for the SG, I will disconnect my RC Systems TTS evaluation board from the SG Com 2 port and configure the Com 2 port for HS. I think that it will be to my advantage to be able to talk to the SG with WinEVM as far as developing new schedules and allow the WebXpander to update the SG clock automatically.

I think that I will also transition from the JDS HomeRunner touch screen application to Main Lobby on my tablet pc touch screens.

Regards,
                      TCIII

Comment

Originally posted by TCIII View Post
                        I will disconnect my RC Systems TTS evaluation board from the SG Com 2 port and configure the Com 2 port for HS.
                        Good luck with COM2 - let us know how you make out. Keep an eye out for flaky behavior. If you look back in some of the older posts of this forum, you'll see that using COM2 or COM3 for HomeSeer was a bit unreliable. I believe HS needs COM1 for communication for the same reasons that WinEVM does. However, I haven't tried COM2/3 with the RJ version of the plugin - maybe it got better.

Mark
                        Mark

Comment

Mark S.,

Thanks for the heads up!

The use of Com 2/3 is detailed in the JDS configuration help files and has been vetted by Jeff Stein. However, as you say, this may not guarantee reliable opeation.

RJ,

Have you gotten any feedback on using HS on Com 2/3 with your version of the plug-in?

Regards,
                          TCIII

Comment

Mark/RJ,

Disconnected my RC Systems TTS board from the SG Com 2 and followed the instructions in the JDS plug-in help file to install the JDS plug-in on the SG-IP Com 2 port.

It took a couple of restarts of HS and a restart of the SG-IP, but I have successfullly interfaced HS to the SG-IP through the SG Com 2 port.

I presently have WinEVM talking to the SG-IP WebXpander daughter card which communicates with the SG Com 1 port. So far, I have exercised both HS, WinEVM and the WebXpander interface without any incidents. Obviously I am not exercising all three at the same time and, who knows, there may be some long term issues that will only surface with continued use.

This success has given me the courage to install ML3C and ML3S to eventually replace the JDS HomeRunner and PocketWebX applications that I presently use to remotely communicate with the SG through the WebXpander.

Thanks for all of your helpful responses!

Regards,
                            TCIII

Comment

So here is a question for our fearless leader Agent 'J': Can you add functionality to the plug-in to use the WebX Ethernet interface to communicate with HS? It would be nice to get rid of the serial crap altogether.

I can understand a separate module or maybe a new plug-in altogether. This is only a quest for information and to ask you if this is feesable. Can you investigate this and determine what resources would be requirfed if this is possible and maybe a course of action/support from the users end?

Thank you!
                              -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X