X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I turn an SG-1 into a SG-IP

Hi all,

I started with a Time Commander, Then upgrade to a Stargate when they first came out, and added the Web Expander Later.

Now JDS has pretty much dropped support for the SG-1, can't install the 4.X Update

Question - If I remove the IVR board, does that make it an SG-IP
    I just purchased a HomeTroller w/phone so the IVR becomes redundant,(Haven't even taken the HT out of the box yet)

Or should I just put the SG (and the TC, it went out of service before there was an EBAY) on EBAY and move over to an Ocilot w/Adicon boards for I/O

Question - Does the SG/Ocelot pass the Caddx info thru to Homeseer. I'd like to connect the Caddx to the SG/Ocelot so that if Homeseer is down the low level routines in the controller still work

Thanks For Your Time,

Originally posted by ChuckW View Post
    Now JDS has pretty much dropped support for the SG-1, can't install the 4.X Update
    Not exactly true. JDS says they will continue to support SG-1 with firmware updates (3.X series firmware). The 4.X series firmware is intended for SG-IP only.

Question - If I remove the IVR board, does that make it an SG-IP
    Yes, if you have a WebXpander.

Question - Does the SG/Ocelot pass the Caddx info thru to Homeseer. I'd like to connect the Caddx to the SG/Ocelot so that if Homeseer is down the low level routines in the controller still work
    I don't know about Ocelot, but the SG does pass Caddx zone status to HS via the JDS Plugin.

Mark
    Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark,

On the 3.X support issue. Already, if you want UPB support you have to go to 4.X. I have a feeling (no facts) that continuing 3.X support is going to be limited to bug fixes, and to get expanded support for new devices you'll have to go to 4.X. I THINK it's a memory issue, no room for new stuff without losing the IVR.

So, from what you said, I can remove the IVR board, leave the WebEx board, and have a SG-IP system that will run the 4.X firmware.

Do I even need the WebX board to run 4.X, or can I leave it out and in effect have a Stargate Lite? I won't need the web access with HS.

Anybody need a spare IVR and WebX board???

I want to keep the SG for low level, fast response stuff, (Open the driveway gate, Driveway lights come on, Caddx PIR trips, Turn on lights, etc.) while moving the front end to HS.

Thanks for your help,

Comment

Chuck,
        I'm not sure you really need to worry about SW that adds features to SG. If you link to HS, it will provide more features than most of us can use.

I plan to continue to use my SG for what it does best - the things you've already pointed out. HS offers a much more expandable interface for the other stuff. And the best part, from my perspective, is that if I really screw up HS with a new combination of plugins, SG will carry on with its core functions as if nothing happened.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I THINK it's a memory issue, no room for new stuff without losing the IVR.
          Exactly.

So, from what you said, I can remove the IVR board, leave the WebEx board, and have a SG-IP system that will run the 4.X firmware.
          Yes.

Do I even need the WebX board to run 4.X, or can I leave it out and in effect have a Stargate Lite? I won't need the web access with HS.
          Yes, you can run it without WebX.

Anybody need a spare IVR and WebX board???
          I really don't use my IVR board and WebX much anymore either, but I keep them connected anyway just in case something catastrophic ever happens with HS (which has happened to me).

I want to keep the SG for low level, fast response stuff, (Open the driveway gate, Driveway lights come on, Caddx PIR trips, Turn on lights, etc.) while moving the front end to HS.
          That's exactly what I do.

Mark
          Mark

Comment

Mike & Mark,
            Thanks for the answers.

I'm still running 3.02e (Aug 2002). I've checked the release notes, and there has been no new device support added since then, just bug fixes.

I'd have to move to 4.X to get support for newer devices. (and not much of that yet, UPB only?)

I know I could move X10/Compose/UPB/Insteon support over to Homeseer, and keep the stargate for I/O, but I wanted to keep the hardware support at a lower level.

I'm still looking at other options (ocelot, etc.) for low level support.

There's been a lot of changes in HA since I started, and I need to get caught up on whats available/possible.

Thanks for your time,

Comment

Chuck,
              As you are considering UPB support you might want to look at this thread on the JDSUsers board.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/J...s/message/1053
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
              X