This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to upgrade to HS2 w/ stargate

finally.... i am upgrading to HS2 during the Christmas break. I have installed ok, open up the HS1 xml ok, all devices and events are accounted for. But i can't seem to get the Stargate to turn on my test light. I can go the Status screen and toggle it on/off and see the message in the log, but nothing happens. I then shut down HS2, start HS1 and make sure i can still switch the light, that works. So, i would assume that the Stargate is there and alive. I amsure that i am missing something basic, but i am lost. Any help would be great, tia.
    michael

i hope you get it to work.

when i upgraded to HS2, I installed fresh (on a new machine, even!) (so no old XML files to import or a pesky old jds.ini file and device database). what a nuisance! but it worked without any problems. i never tried to import the HS1 XML because I was a little nervous and at the time, I had a small enough HS implementation that I could afford to recreate it from scratch. Today, I would do what you are doing. HS2 is great, though, and worth it.

if i were you, i would backup the homeseer directory, then reimport devices with "overwrite devices" turned on and see what happens. if you're nervous, just select X10 or some other category and test it. I assume that everything is broken, not just X10?

good luck!

Tim
    Last edited by timlacey; December 20, 2007, 11:39 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

I did not adopt HS until v2, so like Tim, I started from scratch. Although there were some problems with early releases of the v2 plug-in, it appears to be working very well now.

I'm surprised that you haven't gotten any replies from people who upgraded. That may say something about the probability of success. In the end, starting fresh may be the most expedient approach if reimporting devices does not help.

You certainly ought to try a help request, but RJ does not appear to be available, so support of the plug-in has been a bit thin.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

thanks for assistance. i tried from scratch with the sample mdb and still no luck. my WAF is going negative.... how can i tell that the stargate is getting the commands? i have all debug on and there are lots of sending commands. if i go back to HS1 everything still works. any ideas?
        tia,
        michael

Comment

When you started over from zero, did you import all your SG devices into HS or just some of them? I assume they imported as expected and are listed on the Status page. Were there any errors in the HS log?

If you shut down HS, then restart, what does the log show when HS starts the SG plug-in?

If you use the ON/OFF control on the Status page next to an X10 light, it should respond. That seems like the easiest way to tell, and from what you've said, that isn't working. BTW, you should also see the command in the HS log being echoed back from SG. Is it? This is what I see in the HS log when I turn an appliance module off and back on from the HS status page.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="1" class="LOGDateTime0" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">12/21/2007 3:32:53 PM </td><td colspan="3" class="LOGType0" align="left">Info </td><td colspan="8" class="LOGEntry0" align="left">Device: Monitor Heat cable (O5) OFF</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="1" class="LOGDateTime1" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">12/21/2007 3:32:54 PM </td><td colspan="3" class="LOGType1" align="left">X10 Received </td><td colspan="8" class="LOGEntry1" align="left">O5 ( Monitor Heat cable) O Off</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="1" class="LOGDateTime0" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">12/21/2007 3:32:58 PM </td><td colspan="3" class="LOGType0" align="left">Info </td><td colspan="8" class="LOGEntry0" align="left">Device: Monitor Heat cable (O5) ON</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="1" class="LOGDateTime1" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">12/21/2007 3:32:59 PM </td><td colspan="3" class="LOGType1" align="left">X10 Received </td><td colspan="8" class="LOGEntry1" align="left">O5 ( Monitor Heat cable) O On
          </td></tr></tbody></table>
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I imported all devices. They all show up on the Status page. There were no device errors, i did have a couple of script errors but i fixed those.

I do not have any errors on a restart.

This is what I get when I use ON/OFF on the Status page.

12/21/2007 8:32:13 PM Info Device: Game Room Ceiling Fan Light (K7) ON
            12/21/2007 8:32:13 PM JDS StarGate Comms Sending Command: ##%2b010C0A000000
            12/21/2007 8:32:22 PM Info Device: Game Room Ceiling Fan Light (K7) OFF
            12/21/2007 8:32:46 PM JDS StarGate Comms Sending Command: ##%2b000C14000000
            12/21/2007 8:33:19 PM JDS StarGate Comms Sending Command: ##%2b010C0A000000

I do not see the X10 sent back from SG.

Again, thanks... i need the WAF points.....

michael

Comment

Let's cover a few basics.

What version of HS2 are you using?

What version of the SG Plugin are you using?

Is HS connected to SG COM1?

Are you running HS and WinEVM at the same time?

Is WinEVM Connect checked in the HS interface Config page? Is it set to 9600 baud?

Does anything other than X-10 work from HS? Relays? Flags?

And I assume your X-10 device works fine when operated from WinEVM?

Mark
              Mark

Comment

Mark,
                Thanks for the reply.

HS2=HomeSeer version is: 2.2.0.66

SG=Found plug-in: JDS StarGate, version: 2.1.2614.17538

SG COMport=Initializing X10 Plug-in: JDS StarGate On COM Port 6 12/21/2007 8:27:32 PM Info Interface JDS StarGate is running as a trial, 28 days remaining. (HS1&SG work on COM6 ok)

HS&WinEVM=No

WinEVM Connect is checked and 9600 baud.

Anything else work from HS=No

All X10 work fine in HS1. I did not try in WinEVM, should I?

thanks,
                michael

Comment

Originally posted by michael_turner0 View Post
                  SG COMport=Initializing X10 Plug-in: JDS StarGate On COM Port 6 12/21/2007 8:27:32 PM Info Interface JDS StarGate is running as a trial, 28 days remaining. (HS1&SG work on COM6 ok)

WinEVM Connect is checked and 9600 baud.
                  Is the computer connected to COM1 on the SG board? If so, I don't think you need the WinEVM Connect box checked. I believe that is used when you connect on COM2 or COM3. Have you tried with that box unchecked? (I do not have it checked.)

For some reason the raw command (##%2b010C0A000000) doesn't seem to be getting interpreted, but I don't know why. Is Stargate enabled as the X10 interface on the HS Setup page?

Comment

Mike,
                    Yes, the SG is connected on COM1.

I have tried several times with the WinEVM checked nad unchecked, no change.

Yes, the SG is enabled on the HS2 setup page.

The wierd part is that this works ok in HS1....

michael

Comment

My only thought is that maybe it has something to do with having HS1 and HS2 existing on the same machine. I vaguely recall someone having an issue with something in HS2 not pointing at the correct file, it was using remnants of HS1 files or something like that.

I have never had HS1 and HS2 installed on same PC. Based on reading the upgrade frustrations of others, I started over completely from scratch on a new machine when I switched to HS2 - so I really can't offer any specifics. But I believe there were a few SG users who did what you are doing. Maybe one of them can shed some light on whether this is a potential issue or not.

One more thing, if you haven't tried this already - the most successful all-purpose fix for SG-HS problems has been to 1) delete all JDS devices, 2) delete the jds.ini file, 3) reboot the PC and HS, 4) re-import your JDS devices.

Mark
                      Mark

Comment

Just a thought. Rupp occasionally suggests that people do a repair on their .NET v2 files. You might try that. Perhaps this is an issue with M$ software rather than HS.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is to try again. I know you said you started from scratch, but I think your best chance is to rename your HS directory, then start over one more time - including fresh downloads, the works - just to see if you can build a system where HS and SG work together in v2. (Even better would be to try it on a different PC. I know that's how many people handled the upgrade to HS2. But I realize that may not be practical.) I can think of no reason you should be having the problems you are seeing unless there is a corrupted file or bad link somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by michael_turner0 View Post
                          finally.... i am upgrading to HS2 during the Christmas break. I have installed ok, open up the HS1 xml ok, all devices and events are accounted for. But i can't seem to get the Stargate to turn on my test light. I can go the Status screen and toggle it on/off and see the message in the log, but nothing happens. I then shut down HS2, start HS1 and make sure i can still switch the light, that works. So, i would assume that the Stargate is there and alive. I amsure that i am missing something basic, but i am lost. Any help would be great, tia.
                          michael

I had the same problem. I completely uninstalled HS1, rebooted, re-installed HS2, started HS2, shutdown HS2, started HS2 again, re-imported all of my plugins. Cycled HS2 again, re-imported all of my SG stuff and all works now.
                          Basically you have to clean HS1 off the computer and each time you re-install anything, cycle HS2.

Comment

i installed HS2 on a new hard drive with a fresh build of Windows XP. then, when the HS2 setup wasn't finished right away, I would swap back in my old hard drive and startup HS1 again. Then nobody in the house experienced any problems while I was building the new system. Eventually I finished the HS2 setup and never used that HS1 hard drive again.

since hard drives are so cheap nowaways (even laptop drives), it's an easy way to have both versions of HS working until the transition is complete.

it sounds like i did a good thing, since HS1 and HS2 don't seem to be friendly.

Tim

Comment

finally..... thanks to all the help!

I fought with the HS1 machine all day Monday and Tuesday afternoon. I could not get HS1 or HS2 to work on COM1 (i removed the multiport com2 bds to get as close to a basic system as possible). So i 'borrowed' a laptop and started over. Success...! So, was the problem COM1 or HS1 fighting HS2.... i may never know. I am thinking about using the PC as a boat anchor.... now off to adding ML, which the original goal. Does any body have suggestions for MLHSPlugin?
                              tia,
                              michael

Comment

Working...
                              X