This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS not turning off X10 via Stargate

I'm playing with the 30 day demo of HS and the Stargate plug in.

I found that I can turn lamps on, and set the dim levels, but not turn them off. I'm using the devices page on HS to do this.

This is all X10 stuff connected via SG.

Thanks

-Tim
    -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
    Way2 Call
    Elk M1 Gold
    UPB HAI switches
    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

I'm not familiar with the Stargate plugin but is there a log file in SG showing the X10 off signals being sent? Why not control the X10 devices directly from HS?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
      I found that I can turn lamps on, and set the dim levels, but not turn them off. I'm using the devices page on HS to do this.

This is all X10 stuff connected via SG.

Thanks

-Tim
      I have no trouble using buttons on the HS Device list to turn X10 devices both On and Off. Are there any messages in the HS log? Does HS see the off command? Does SG generate any log messages?
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Tim-

What is the HS "device type" for the device(s) in question? And then, under Setup... Device Types, tell us what you have for the device properties for that device. Sometimes they get screwed up.

Mark
        Mark

Comment

They are Lamp devices, and the HS properties says Standard Device dimming.

I did find a couple of issues.

1. I have my HS PC running and connected to SG. In my office I use my Mac (now running Snow Leopard) with Safari. I found that although Safari would turn on the device and dim it, it would not turn it off.

2. I tried Firefox next and it could turn the device on and off as well as dim, however it would not refresh the screen to show the current state.

Finally I used remote desktop to run IE on the same box as HS and it worked fine.

It would be nice if the Safari and Firefox on OS X could be fixed. At least I figured this much out so far.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll be back, I'm sure.

-Tim

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
          Tim-

What is the HS "device type" for the device(s) in question? And then, under Setup... Device Types, tell us what you have for the device properties for that device. Sometimes they get screwed up.

Mark
          -Tim

Way2 Call
          Elk M1 Gold
          UPB HAI switches
          HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

They are Lamp devices, and the HS properties says Standard Device dimming.

I did find a couple of issues.

1. I have my HS PC running and connected to SG. In my office I use my Mac (now running Snow Leopard) with Safari. I found that although Safari would turn on the device and dim it, it would not turn it off.

2. I tried Firefox next and it could turn the device on and off as well as dim, however it would not refresh the screen to show the current state.

Finally I used remote desktop to run IE on the same box as HS and it worked fine.

It would be nice if the Safari and Firefox on OS X could be fixed. At least I figured this much out so far.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll be back, I'm sure.

-Tim
            This doesn't make sense. All the web browser is doing is sending a simple HTML command to the web server. Inaddition, I use Safari on a daily basis to control my lighting and do not have any issues so this must be something tied to this plugin. The refresh issue isn't tied to FF this happens on all browsers but a simply refresh updates the page and most of us have auto refresh on so this isn't an issue. Have you tried, as a test, to add the light directly to HomeSeer and see if Safari can control the light?

Comment

It would really help if you could post samples of your HS log that illustrate what happens in each of the cases that you try.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I don't know how to save the log but I took this screen shot.

Lots going on here.

The red area is an unrelated problem of HS not able to send email. Still need to tackle that one.

My tests started at 12:04:04 Am where I logged in via Safari on my Mac. Then 13 seconds later it was blocked further access. Another issue I don't know why it is happening.

So I used the remote desktop you see in the photo to try from IE on the same box as HS. Turning the lamp on then off, then dim to 50%, then off. All worked great.

At 12:06:17 the web server was re-enabled so I used Firefox on my mac. Same tests worked fine, barring the fact that the browser did not refresh automatically like IE does to show the correct state of the bulb icon.

At 12:08:54 I tried Safari on the mac and again it was blocked from the system. I waited until the re-enable two minutes later. So I tried the ON button and the light came on. The off button repeatedly would have no effect. The dim to 50% worked fine. Tried off again, no luck.

The final off you see at 12:11:51 am is from Firefox on the mac.

BTW - Safari on the iPhone works the same way as Safari on the Mac. I can turn the lamp on and dim control, but cannot turn it off.

Not sure if this will help, but its what you asked for.

-Tim
                Attached Files
                -Tim

Way2 Call
                Elk M1 Gold
                UPB HAI switches
                HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  .... Have you tried, as a test, to add the light directly to HomeSeer and see if Safari can control the light?
                  I only have HS connected to Stargate. I don't have an X10 transceiver on HS. My real goal if I can get this working is to switch out my X10 for UPB controlled by HS.
                  -Tim

Way2 Call
                  Elk M1 Gold
                  UPB HAI switches
                  HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

The blocking errors are caused by failed login attempts to your HomeSeer server within a short time span. This could cause what you are seeing. The question is, did you have this many failed attempts. The default is (if memory serves me correctly) 3 failed attempts within 10 seconds and you are blocked for 30 minutes.

Comment

Lots going on here.

The red area is an unrelated problem of HS not able to send email. Still need to tackle that one.

My tests started at 12:04:04 Am where I logged in via Safari on my Mac. Then 13 seconds later it was blocked further access. Another issue I don't know why it is happening.
                      Are you being presented with a new login prompt? The web browser sends your login credentials with each request. There's is a timeout that the browser holds onto these credentials and it varies from browser to browser. Safari is apparently not storing or is dropping the credentials fast. The only "official" browser supported by HomeSeer is IE but a lot of work has been done over the last year or so to make it work with Fire Fox.

So I used the remote desktop you see in the photo to try from IE on the same box as HS. Turning the lamp on then off, then dim to 50%, then off. All worked great.

At 12:06:17 the web server was re-enabled so I used Firefox on my mac. Same tests worked fine, barring the fact that the browser did not refresh automatically like IE does to show the correct state of the bulb icon.

At 12:08:54 I tried Safari on the mac and again it was blocked from the system. I waited until the re-enable two minutes later. So I tried the ON button and the light came on. The off button repeatedly would have no effect. The dim to 50% worked fine. Tried off again, no luck.

BTW - Safari on the iPhone works the same way as Safari on the Mac. I can turn the lamp on and dim control, but cannot turn it off.

-Tim
                      What version of HomeSeer are you running?

Comment

You should be able to simply highlight the part of the log you want to capture, save, then paste the info into Notepad (or directly into a forum post, for that matter).

-Tim
                        Thank you. If I am interpreting your log correctly, then pressing the 'Off' button on the Safari browser on the MAC did not generate any listing in the HS log and it did not turn off the light, but using the FF browser on the MAC did turn off the light and generated a log entry. That would make me suspect a problem with the Safari browser interaction with HS. I'm having trouble thinking of how it could be a problem with the plug-in.

Comment

The blocking errors are caused by failed login attempts to your HomeSeer server within a short time span. This could cause what you are seeing. The question is, did you have this many failed attempts. The default is (if memory serves me correctly) 3 failed attempts within 10 seconds and you are blocked for 30 minutes.

There were no failed attempts. I also changed some .ini settings that lowered this time to address the problem, which is why it came back so quickly.
                          -Tim

Way2 Call
                          Elk M1 Gold
                          UPB HAI switches
                          HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

What version of HomeSeer are you running?

HomeSeer Version: Standard Edition 2.3.0.19
                            -Tim

Way2 Call
                            Elk M1 Gold
                            UPB HAI switches
                            HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                              You should be able to simply highlight the part of the log you want to capture, save, then paste the info into Notepad (or directly into a forum post, for that matter).

Thank you. If I am interpreting your log correctly, then pressing the 'Off' button on the Safari browser on the MAC did not generate any listing in the HS log and it did not turn off the light, but using the FF browser on the MAC did turn off the light and generated a log entry. That would make me suspect a problem with the Safari browser interaction with HS. I'm having trouble thinking of how it could be a problem with the plug-in.
                              Mike, you understanding is correct. This is the latest Safari 4.0.3 for OS X. I don't think its a plug-in issue either. More of a web interface issue, which also may be causing the webserver lockouts (just a hunch)
                              -Tim

Way2 Call
                              Elk M1 Gold
                              UPB HAI switches
                              HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Working...
                              X