This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    What are you observing that you need to correct with an initial poll? I have not had any instance where security devices and the Devices page were noticeably 'out of sync' after restarting HS.
    When I initially start HS, the status page always shows a status of "Clear" for all Caddx security devices (Caddx is connected to Com2 on the Stargate). In the log I can see security devices change state (faulted, not faulted), and if I refresh the status page right after I see a change in the log, I see it reflected correctly in the status page. Also the status page shows the last time it saw a change of state.

The issue is that after starting HS, I don't think that the security devices are polled, so the status page shows everything to be "Clear" when I have devices that are faulted. As an example my kitchen window is open and the status should display as faulted, but since HS never polled the state of the security devices it shows "Clear". If I close the window then the status is reflected properly, as the stargate is sending change of state to HS. Hence my thought was if I could run a script or event that caused a poll of the security devices right after startup, then all devices would be in sync moving forward.

Comment

Interesting observation. I normally have HS running 24/7 and only restart when rebooting the computer or to clear a problem, so it is not off very long. I've never looked carefully to see if a change to the state of a security device while HS was off is correctly registered. I have noted that if a device was faulted before HS was shut down, then it shows faulted after HS restarts.

I know that the plug-in is designed to actively poll SG devices when it starts, but that might not include the Caddx security devices. The help file does not explicitly include them in the example. Unfortunately, there is no one in HST active in this plug-in, and there may be no one currently on staff who is very familiar with it. So getting an expert answer to your question may be difficult.

I guess you could try paid support if you think the question is worth it. Or, you could cycle all faulted devices when you start HS to get in sync.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I just did a test and confirmed your observation. I shut HS down, then opened a door. When I restarted HS it showed the door as Clear, not as Faulted. When I closed it, the log showed it being closed, but the 'Last Change' entry on the status page did not change.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I'm glad I'm not crazy. In any case I can live with this, but how do I go about querying the status of all devices at startup? I can write a script, but this would be new to me. Can you point me in a direction?

Comment

The SG plug-in is supposed to do this automatically. I'm guessing that in the case of security devices that isn't possible. On reflection, I do not believe that SG maintains the current state of the the security devices. It just provides an interface to Caddx. If you look at WinEVM, there are tables for Variables, Flags, etc., but no table for security devices. If SG doesn't "know" the state, then there is nothing to retrieve in a poll. The only way around it that I can see would be to create a SG event for every security device that set a flag to mirror the state of the device. Then you could use the flag states to update the HS security devices. That seems like a lot of work and overhead for something that will occur rarely. What are you worried about or trying to prevent? Is it worth the trouble?

Comment

I want to show the state of the security devices in HS Touch, but I don't want the staus to incorrect. Ideally I would change the color of an icon, or change the icon itself, based on the security zone status.

Comment

I started with Homeseer when the first version of the Stargate plugin came out.
                Eversince they have been problems in all versions for some kind of devices that where not updated or tripped.
                What I know is that using flags and/or variables to communicate between SG and HS always worked.
                For the security part, I have SG updating a flag when a zone is ready, and HS will see it.
                You will find out that if one of your Caddx zone goes in "Memory" state after beeing violated, HS won't see it as "Ready" any more.
                Using the flag will work in this situation also.
                Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

Pierre,
                  I agree. There have been some serious bumps in the road for the SG plug-in, but I find that it works quite well now.

On the 'Modify Device' page for the security devices, I found that entering 'Yes' next to 'Faulted' only, and 'No' next to the other three has eliminated the problem of 'Alarm Memory' overriding the Faulted/Clear status updates. I gather you are still having problems with that.

On the question of using flags to mirror security device states, I agree that it is a reliable method, but there are two considerations. First, it does take effort to set up, and there are a limited number of flags available in SG, so if someone has lots of security sensors they can consume a large fraction of the available flags. Of course, you can also use the bit pattern of one or more SG variables, but that is even more complex to set up.

In the end, it will come down to a personal judgment on the importance of the issue in any particular installation, I suspect.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I am a programmer so I shouldn't have too difficult of a time implementing the mirroring flags in the stargate. I will let you know how it works out when I get it implemented. Now just to find time to do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X