This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG and the way2call

ID like to keep using SG for voicemail for now but I'd also like to have HS announce the caller ID because of the text to speech.

What's the best way to wire the phone lines to each device.
    -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
    Way2 Call
    Elk M1 Gold
    UPB HAI switches
    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

If that's all you want to do, simply run phone lines to both SG and W2C - then set SG to answer on 5 rings and W2C to answer after 6.

But if you want one of them to "sieze the line", then there's a bit more to it.

Personally, I suggest you switch to HS for voicemail - you'll never look back.

Mark
    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
      If that's all you want to do, simply run phone lines to both SG and W2C - then set SG to answer on 5 rings and W2C to answer after 6.

But if you want one of them to "sieze the line", then there's a bit more to it.

Personally, I suggest you switch to HS for voicemail - you'll never look back.

Mark
      my wife really likes the sg LCD keypad for vm. Also we use the phone for whole house paging, intercom, loading voice memos and timers.

Can hs do the same functions?

Curious why you would say we'd never go back. What am I missing?
      -Tim

Way2 Call
      Elk M1 Gold
      UPB HAI switches
      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

I believe HS can do all of those things easily. We use HS with the Way2Call and got rid of our IVR board (sold it easily since they are irreplaceable at this point) a few years ago. And yes, we never looked back.

The only thing we don't have is the paging through the house fromt he phones, but I keep meaning to program that in to HS. I know it CAN be done, I just haven't figured out how. (although I've toyed with the hack of recording and then replaying announcements - hit 1 to record, hit 2 to stop recording and play through the house).

We used to use the live paging fom a phone to play hide and seek with the kids - it would be fun to get it back if only for that.

Homeseer loads a variable with caller ID info when a call comes in, and when the SG sees the variable change, it can do specific things. Although - since our voice announcements are made in Homeseer, I think the only reason to have SG aware of the incoming callers is to display it on a LCD keypad or send X10 commands. And even there, I'm planning to eliminate all my LCD keypads and use HSTouch going forward. And I don't use X10.

Tim

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
          ID like to keep using SG for voicemail for now but I'd also like to have HS announce the caller ID because of the text to speech.
          What's the best way to wire the phone lines to each device.
          If you want, you can have SG transfer caller ID info to HS.
          To do that, create a SG event like this:

EVENT: CID
          If
          CO: Ring 2
          Then
          ASCII-Out:'$$Log_CID.vb:CallerID(<cid><cid><cid>CID)' [COM1]
          End
          where 'Log_CID.vb' is a HS script to handle the caller ID info and 'CallerID' is the name of the subroutine that does the work. The 'CID' in the parenthases needs to be enclosed in <>, but I cannot figure out how to keep the board's software from interpreting the result as HTML.

On the HS side, create the script (I have mine announce some callers, but log all calls):

Public Sub Main(ByVal Parms As Object)

End Sub
          Sub CallerID(ByVal CID As Object)

Dim strFileName As String
          Dim strApPath As String
          Dim strLogMessage As String
          Dim strNumber As String = ""
          Dim strCaller As String = ""
          Dim fApnd As Object
          Dim oFS As Object
          Dim ForAppending As Integer = 8

strNumber = hs.StringItem(CID.ToString, 1, ",")

Select Case strNumber
          Case "269964nnnn" ' Harry
          strCaller = "Harry"

Case "585370nnnn" ' Eric
          strCaller = "Eric"

Case "303527nnnn" ' Heidi
          strCaller = "Heidi"

Case "585746nnnn" ' Ashley
          strCaller = "Ashley"

Case "303931nnnn" ' Heidi
          strCaller = "Heidi"

End Select

If strCaller <> "" Then ' Turn on selected audio zones
          hs.Run("Zone1Src2_ON.vb")
          hsp.WaitMS(200)
          hs.Run("Zone2Src2_ON.vb")
          hsp.WaitMS(200)
          hs.Run("Zone5Src2_ON.vb")
          hsp.WaitMS(200)

hs.Speak(strCaller & " is calling", True)
          hs.WaitSecs(1)
          hs.Speak(strCaller, True)

hs.Run("Audio Restore Zone 1 2 5.vb")
          End If

hs.WriteLog("CID", CID.ToString)

strApPath = hs.GetAppPath() & "\Config\"
          strFileName = strApPath & "CallerID.txt"

strLogMessage = Now & " - " & CID.ToString

oFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
          ' use the open text file method to open a file to be added to rather than overwritten.
          fApnd = oFS.OpenTextFile(strFileName, ForAppending)
          ' write data to it. The writeline method adds a carriage return and linefeed to the end.
          fApnd.WriteLine(strLogMessage)
          ' Close the file
          fApnd.close()
          oFS = Nothing

End Sub
          </cid></cid></cid>
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
            my wife really likes the sg LCD keypad for vm. Can hs do the same functions?

Curious why you would say we'd never go back. What am I missing?
            I had the same WAF situation many years ago. This thread explains what I did. Works for me.

Since both Way2Call and SG are attached to the phone line, both of them get caller ID information. But HS answers after 5 rings and does voicemail, while SG is set to answer after 6 rings just in case HS Phone ever fails for some reason.

Why would I never go back? I find that HS Phone is much more reliable and the recording quality is much better on HS. But most of all, HS brings a lot more options to the table. HS immediately emails a wav file of any new messages to my Blackberry; you can run just about any event you can imagine based on a specific caller or whenever a message is left; you can playback and delete via HSTouch, phone, LCD keypad, Main Lobby; it goes on.

Try it and you will see.

Mark
            Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark.

I started to put your script solution together yesterday. I have no idea about scripting, but followed your directions.

I have not had a chance to test it all out yet, but so far it looks like a good replacement.

What does the reoccurring x event in HS do? I made it for every 15 minutes.

-Tim
              -Tim

Way2 Call
              Elk M1 Gold
              UPB HAI switches
              HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

The recurring event is a less-than-elegant solution to a minor problem, but it works.

The minor problem is when you delete a message via another user interface where my script is not invoked (an example is the old HS Touchpad phone page) - in which case, the SG variables holding the counts of old and new messages don't get updated. The fix is to run the UpdateNewOldCount subroutine on a regular basis to ensure that the SG variables catch up. Every 15 minutes if fine - depends on how busy your phone is.

Let us know how you make out.

If you run Main Lobby, it is also very easy to create a voicemail scene that uses this script.

Mark
                Mark

Comment

I got it programmed and started testing a little.

One thing that might be added to the script is to set the HS VM Select variable back to 0 when run.

Otherwise if you hit the New button after the variable is loaded with 8, you get no response. Ie. You press the new button twice on the lcd nothing happens the second time, even if its hours later.
                  -Tim

Way2 Call
                  Elk M1 Gold
                  UPB HAI switches
                  HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

You are correct - the variable must be reset to zero. Maybe I left that out of the instructions.

I use a SG event to do that, rather than the script. I don't remember why, but I had a reason at the time. I think it had to do with a slight time delay before SG communicated variable changes. My SG event is:

1678: EVENT: HS V-Mail Select Reset
                    1679: If
                    1680: " reset to 0 to allow re-selection "
                    1681: and (V:HS VMail Select) Changes Value
                    1682: and (V:HS VMail Select) != 0
                    1683: Then
                    1684: DELAY 0:00:02 Re-Triggerable
                    1685: (V:HS VMail Select) LOAD with 0
                    1686: End

Mark
                    Mark

Comment

Mark,

I just wanted to check back to tell you I'm using the script. Works pretty nice so far.

I do see one thing that would be nice in an update. When you use the internal leave a message function of HSPhone, it would be nice to have the new message count increase.

I'm looking at the scripting and I'm totally lost so thanks so much for sharing!

-Tim
                      -Tim

Way2 Call
                      Elk M1 Gold
                      UPB HAI switches
                      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Working...
                      X